• Suvorov

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
Feel free to use whatever criteria you like, and to explain your vote if you are moved to do so. You may also vote for more than one candidate.

Rosi

Historum Emeritas
Jul 2008
Lenin and Stalin for the effect they had on the course of the Russian history, on the Russian nation itself, and on that of Russia's extremely unfortunate eastern European neighbours. I'm not sure if Stalin even belongs in a poll talking about the "greats" but for the sheer force of his years in the public eye he gets my vote.

And Mendeleev of course, for charting out the periodic table.

Surprised Tolstoy didn't make it.

Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
I voted for Catherine. Nicholas II wasn't a bad leader but he wasn't good either, Peter I was great but too many peasants died building Saint Petersburg for me to vote for him, Stalin made his country a force to be reckoned with but killed millions of his own people, Lenin sparked his country's revolution but killed many people as well. Those are the one's that I know the most about so I decided between them.

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
Alexandr Nevsky because beginnings are so important.
Dmitri Mendeleev because science is so important.
Aleksandr Pushkin because stories are so important.

Last edited:
Oct 2007
Southern Vermont
If it weren't for Peter the Great, it is doubtful anyone would give a **** enough about Russia to create an online poll about its leaders.

Dec 2008
In the isles of the forgotten, in the mountains of
If it weren't for Peter the Great, it is doubtful anyone would give a **** enough about Russia to create an online poll about its leaders.
Aye, though he was a prick even in his youth. But such is life with royalty and silver platters and such.

avon

Forum Staff
May 2008
Dostoevsky and Pushkin - not much need to explain why!!

Alexander II - and against all odds (strong conservative, nay, reactionary forces in court) still emancipated the serfs. We might be able to argue motives here (personally I would cite his need to reform the military) but his general desire to improve the lot of his people through reforms was genuine enough. In so doing, he made himself a target from both the liberals and conservatives - that was the personal price he paid. Of course, there is always room for controversy ... if anyone's up for it!!;)

Similar History Discussions