• Suvorov

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
Alexander II - and against all odds (strong conservative, nay, reactionary forces in court) still emancipated the serfs. We might be able to argue motives here (personally I would cite his need to reform the military) but his general desire to improve the lot of his people through reforms was genuine enough. In so doing, he made himself a target from both the liberals and conservatives - that was the personal price he paid. Of course, there is always room for controversy ... if anyone's up for it!!;)
He was a great one. I wonder if the Narodnaya Volya (People's Will) movement didn't have a sort of agenda which wanted Alexander II dead because they feared that a relatively enlightened Tsar would reduce the, uh, proletarian fervor.

Full disclosure. We made a mistake. Alexander II used to read Nicholas II. All is well now.

Chookie

Ad Honorem
Nov 2007
Alba
I voted for Peter the Great and Dostoevsky.

PtG because he was in all probability one of the rulers of his time, Dostoevsky because authors/poets are needful for the development and civilisation of a nation or a people. On that basis I was vacillitating between Dostoevsky and Pushkin but Dostoevsky got the nod.

avon

Forum Staff
May 2008
The official poll currently has:

1. Nevsky;
2. Stolypin;
3. Stalin;
4. Pushkin;
5. Peter I;
6. Lenin;
7. Dostoevsky;
8. Suvorov;
9. Mendeleev;
10. Ivan IV;
11. Catherine II;
12. Alexander II.

It'll be interesting to see how we few compare. So c'mon folks, VOTE!!

Jan 2009
Skopje, Macedonia
Peter I the Great for me.

In 1700 he started the Northern War with Sweden, which lasted for 21 years, and resulted in a victorious Russia taking the vast lands on the Baltic coast as its spoils of war. During the course of the war St. Petersburg was founded (1703) on the delta of the Neva River and the city rapidly grew to become a major seaport, as Russia gained greater and greater access to European trade routes.
When the Northern War ended in 1721 Russia was declared an Empire and Peter the Great proclaimed himself its Emperor. Meanwhile, Peter continued his political and economic reforms. He reorganized the government: established the Senat as the highest government institution and 10 semi-ministries " kollegii". Peter introduced a new poll tax, which brought him funding for an active foreign policy and for boosting national manufacturing and trade. The "Tsar-reformer" was the first leader to organize a Russian regular army and found the Russian navy.

Similar History Discussions