Historum Military History Essay Contest #2

Duke Valentino

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Australia
I’ve decided to try and garner interest for another essay “contest”, but really it’s just a way for a group of people to get a little competitive and write about something they like. I’ve decided that the topic will on an underrated general. You will write on why that general is underrated, and why their reputation deserves to improve. You may format it any way you wish: you can write chronologically on their career, focus exclusively on a single campaign or even a battle if you wish, or mix and match.

I won’t be deciding the winner, since I plan to participate. That’s why I’ll ask someone to volunteer to be an impartial judge. The criteria should be, in my opinion, who did the best job of selling their general as someone who’s career has been underrated or lowered due to one or more campaign losses, and why they deserve better.

For rules, I’m thinking maybe a 10,000 word limit; you have to properly cite your claims with source material, using either footnotes or endnotes, and must provide a reference list.

All of this is open to change at the moment, we could go for a shorter length essay, maybe a different topic, whatever, but I plan to get at least three people committed to submitting an essay. So, including me, that means two more people to sign on.

Let me know what you guys think of this proposal and what alterations you would recommend that might allow you to participate.

I’ll put down my name for Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus. You may choose from any time period.

Reactions: Lord Oda Nobunaga

Lord Oda Nobunaga

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
I think it would be interesting if people just argued in favor of a single campaign. I would want to see who argues for which campaign. Across the historical record there are tonnes of interesting ones to choose from.

I wouldn't mind being the judge for this, actually you might want 3 judges.

So many good campaigns to choose from but imagine if someone chose an obscure campaign from antiquity. Maybe Kadesh 1274 BC or one of the campaigns of Ashurbanipal or something of that sort. Heck it would be nice if someone did Salamis or something from the Peloponnesian War.

Reactions: Duke Valentino

Duke Valentino

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Australia
That's a good idea, I might amend it to a single campaign, and encourage some campaigns that aren't very popular/well known/talked about.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I will be putting the voting poll up for contest #1 soon. It's been delayed due to health problems.

Instead of running this separately, you could suggest it as a theme and then it could be the next official contest.

Note - we are already running contest #2.

Duke Valentino

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Australia
I remember the last competition, but didn't follow its progress. What was the result? Did we have many entries?
There was like, three or four entries. Can't remember who won/if someone was judged to have won.

I will be putting the voting poll up for contest #1 soon. It's been delayed due to health problems.

Instead of running this separately, you could suggest it as a theme and then it could be the next official contest.

Note - we are already running contest #2.
I'd be happy to organise this with you guys. What is this contest 2 that already exists?

Keep me on tabs with this; I could stand in as a judge if needed. I might even think about participating.
Let us know what changes you would like to see that would allow you to participate.

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
There was like, three or four entries. Can't remember who won/if someone was judged to have won.

I'd be happy to organise this with you guys. What is this contest 2 that already exists?

Let us know what changes you would like to see that would allow you to participate.
Not really anything different from as it is, I just don’t know yet if I have the time or commitment. I would like to know the deadline though.

Duke Valentino

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Australia
Not really anything different from as it is, I just don’t know yet if I have the time or commitment. I would like to know the deadline though.
Haven't decided on a deadline yet. Still heavily considering narrowing the essay to a single campaign, which should be easier for you and others to write within a deadline.

Reactions: nuclearguy165

Lord Oda Nobunaga

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
I am almost tempted to write about how Kadesh was an excellent campaign for Muwatallis by Bronze Age standards. While not as decisive as the campaigns waged in Syria and Mesopotamia by Suppiluliumas some 60 years prior, or the campaigns of Thutmose III in Canaan and Syria some 180 years prior, Kadesh was impressive nonetheless.

Given that the Hittite state had been in shambles since the death of Suppiluliumas, and that the Hittite outcome at Kadesh was the best possible scenario under those circumstances. Armies during the Bronze Age rarely had the chance to fight massive engagements and instead relied more on outmaneuvering an opponent. Rarely if ever did two major powers fight each other in battle; going back to Thutmose III's victory at Megiddo he was only fighting the Amorite and Canaanite proxies of the Hurrians, but not the Mitanni Empire itself. But here we have the Hittites facing off against the very powerful and well organized Egyptians, fighting them more or less to a standstill and temporarily gaining control over that whole region. The entire execution on the part of Muwatallis was also very well done even if the battle itself turned into a fluster-cluck. Compared to Suppiluliumas who never fought an actual Egyptian army and was able to pick off the Egyptian vassals in Syria, as the Egyptians had quite a bit of domestic troubles, and later on conquer the collapsing Mitanni Empire that had been in civil war for decades (which albeit received support from Assyria, but who were at the time Hurrian vassals).

But alas I cannot. :crying: