History, graduate school

Robert165

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
North Georgia
Could some forum members please tell me a little of what I could expect if I were to go to graduate school for History? Whats the workload like, how does the difficulty of classes compare to undergraduate classes, what will my research papers and topics be like? I have a bit of a self confidence problem, seeing myself in graduate school.....

My current situation: getting ready to finish an undergraduate degree. Returning to school after several years off. The the two topics I'm interested in are History, or Art.

Future plans: to pursue a future in the Art world or to choose a different path and teach History in High School. That's the part that would really involve a graduate degree.

Thanks

Comet

Forum Staff
Aug 2006
IA
You're research topics and papers will not be any different than what you had as an undergrad...except they will be longer and will be graded with a tougher criteria. I would keep a detailed account of your classes, credits, etc. so you don't get screwed over when it comes time for graduation. Depending on the university, you will most likely be taking classes with undergraduates with a few classes that are graduate only each semester.

Robert165

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
North Georgia
You're research topics and papers will not be any different than what you had as an undergrad...except they will be longer and will be graded with a tougher criteria. I would keep a detailed account of your classes, credits, etc. so you don't get screwed over when it comes time for graduation. Depending on the university, you will most likely be taking classes with undergraduates with a few classes that are graduate only each semester.
Oh thanks thats cool
The school I plan on attending is Brooklyn College
Its like a state school but funded by NYC
The have good degrees at both levels
As well as a good education department

Last edited: