History is fake.

Mar 2017
Colorado
Dios,
.If Herodotus is an historian.. Silvester STallone is an actor!!!
Touche!

Still, Herodotus has a lot of useful information if you ignore the rest. He's got lines of succession of different dynasties and empires, for instance. If it were just Herodotus, we'd have to throw them away. Because he agrees with others, we know it to be fact: Herodotus reinforces the others, others reinforce Herodotus. For the earlier ones that precede corroboration with other authors, we can say : "maybe he got those right too."

Yeah, there's a lot of Herodotus that is just plain goofy, but there's valuable historical fact as well. That's why in 2500 yrs Herodotus book burnings haven't been popular.

There's nothing wrong with wanting history delivered like Encyclopedia Britannica. I would argue that to totally dismiss anything written before .... whatever your date is .... is just plain silly. His descriptions of the Persian wars agree with other authors but are more detailed (for one example).

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Touche!

Still, Herodotus has a lot of useful information if you ignore the rest. He's got lines of succession of different dynasties and empires, for instance. If it were just Herodotus, we'd have to throw them away. Because he agrees with others, we know it to be fact: Herodotus reinforces the others, others reinforce Herodotus. For the earlier ones that precede corroboration with other authors, we can say : "maybe he got those right too."

Yeah, there's a lot of Herodotus that is just plain goofy, but there's valuable historical fact as well. That's why in 2500 yrs Herodotus book burnings haven't been popular.

There's nothing wrong with wanting history delivered like Encyclopedia Britannica. I would argue that to totally dismiss anything written before .... whatever your date is .... is just plain silly. His descriptions of the Persian wars agree with other authors but are more detailed (for one example).
Thank you... I can see I am not the alone man read Herodotus!... I thought It was a waste of time! I remember about how he counted the history of Lidia...About dinasty yes.. we can believe him.. but not what he told about Egypt, Persia etc.. his stories.. they are more like a soap opera than a serious essay.

Regards

PD: I remember the long list of dinasties... when you are 13 yo was very very boring... and whe I was 16 yo I had to translate Xenophonte from Greek to Spanish Anábasis. It was more interesting... I think Xenophonte was not so fanciful...but still he was not "the Truth" but "his Truth".

Why do we know Persians lost the Greco-Persian Wars? In fact, Persians conquered almost all Greece (Greek didn´t conquer Persia).. By other side... It was not a war between Greek and Persians as in 1920 between Greek and Ottomans... in fact, most of Greek fought in Persian army against other greeks!!!!!
So. why to believe "Greek" won... Have we the Official Records writeen by Persian and Greek HQ? Not.

Mar 2017
Colorado
Why do we know Persians lost the Greco-Persian Wars? In fact, Persians conquered almost all Greece (Greek didn´t conquer Persia).. By other side... It was not a war between Greek and Persians as in 1920 between Greek and Ottomans... in fact, most of Greek fought in Persian army against other greeks!!!!!
So. why to believe "Greek" won... Have we the Official Records writeen by Persian and Greek HQ? Not.
I'm lost. I think you're talking about a time period I can't place.

When Persia conquered Egypt, in 525 BCE, that was the end of their Western expansion .... maybe they picked up those little North African countries like Mauretania & Numidia, as well. They could have easily done so, but Egypt was the prize. They ruled Egypt for almost 200 yrs ... and pretty much all the Middle East. Aristotle visited in the last 100 yrs, visiting various temple schools.

In 333 Alexander defeated Darius in a battle, but instead of chasing him, he conquered Phoenicia (most of them just gave up, except for Tyre), and conquered Egypt (basically, just showed up), then on to Gaugamela ... his last major military activity was an "incursion" into India.

This is rock solid history. Multiple historians, multiple scrolls, multiple countries and ethnicities, and carved in temple walls all over the place, coins, statues. There's no wiggle room here. It's one of the most well documented periods of classical history.

Usually, when I stumble across something like this, I misunderstood what was being talked about in the first place. That's it, right? Your talking about some more modern period?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Martin76 , could you expand a bit on the "history is fake" statement ,
do you accept the concept of a past in which events occurred ?
I assume your statement is to be read as saying
"the history , as we are being taught , is full of lies and outright fabrications "

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Martin76 , could you expand a bit on the "history is fake" statement ,
do you accept the concept of a past in which events occurred ?
I assume your statement is to be read as saying
"the history , as we are being taught , is full of lies and outright fabrications "
Yes Sparky... history is taught to justify a politic-economic-social view in the present..that is the reason because a fact... is perceived differently according to the time in which a human is living. The same fact. For example, WW2 is different as it was perceived in 1955 or 1965 and 2015. Or for example, the discovery of America... or the French or Russian Revolution... or the Absolutism...it is unbelievable how Hussita Revolution or Comunism was taught or perceived by Czech Society in 1982 or in 1992... or how the Hussites were "Czech Patriots" fought "Germanic Imperialism" or dangerous reactionaries.

Political and economic powers through the intoxication media, control history to justify the situation of power and controlling population. In this case, the History is a "sicario" at the service of the propaganda.. it has been used by every civilization and country from Summer days to 2018.. From Spain to New Zealand...I am afraid.

That´s the reason because I love the "heavy dust"... only facts.

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
History is FAKE, CREATED, MANIPULATED, DISTORTED, etc.., and feed to the gullibles.

Even in films, documentaries, independent-tv made docs are carefully selected, programmed,manipulated on how it is presented.

Even in history forums, sometimes, they only want to hear and talk about...,
tell what they think is right or correct or as historians pictures them to be.
Anything that deviates or distorts what the other side of the story or history is NEVER told nor discussed or even given a chance to be scrutinized or dissected.

ALL everyone wants to hear, talk, discussed or watch are SANITIZED PRESENTATIONS or topics/subjects that doesn't alter the flow of 'standard history'.

EVERYONE wants to talk and discuss INTELLECTUAL SUBJECTS ABOUT HISTORY.., yet seems to shy away from controversial ones that may tell a different picture and perspective of it.

That is WHY the world is so f**c*ed up.

Churchill was correct is saying..' History is written by the victors

:lol:
I assume you got straight Fs in history classes.

Similar History Discussions