History of Brasil

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Hi guys, my interest on Brasil has been growing a lot over the years and I'm ready for a full scale master book on this country

I know very well some patches of this history, particularly that related to Spanish America and the European powers (basically 17th century) but I lack a general view of the issue

Please, recommend a work you have read or know very well because of its importance

Thanks

Tairusiano

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Brazil
Hello Frank, there are tons of books on Brazil, the ones I think would give a good view of Brazilian history, os Sertões de Euclides da Cunha, in english Rebellion in the Backlands, a good book on a war inside Brazil, that started as a messianic movement, Boris Fausto
A Concise History of Brazil (Cambridge Concise Histories), is good altrought it is so concise that it can be a bit unfunny, Cambridge
Brazil: Empire and Republic, 1822-1930 (Cambridge History of Latin America), Lira Neto biography on Getulio Vargas is very good although it is huge three books and only in portuguese https://www.amazon.com.br/Getúlio-3-1945-1954-Lira-Neto/dp/8535924701 , there is a book called U-507 the Submarine that sunk Brazil in the WW2, it is interesting but only in portuguese, https://www.amazon.com.br/U-507-Submarino-Afundou-Segunda-Mundial/dp/8580131219/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?__mk_pt_BR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=O+Submarino+que+afundou+o+brasil+na+segunda+guerra&qid=1555861047&s=books&sr=1-1-fkmrnull

Reactions: Frank81

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Thanks a lot Tairusiano, I'll go for the first three

Something about the "Quilombos"?

Tairusiano

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Brazil
Hi Frank sorry to the late reply, it was a full week.
On Quilombos, I must say it is an extremely complex theme in Brazil, people here love to put his own political beliefs in this, so you would find books, saying that Quilombos were some kind
of pre-communist paradise, where everyone was happy and equal, and others would write that quilombos, were like some kind of "crazy and evil" African kingdom in Brazil
Now on books that I read that try to be at least informative,
here two but only as far as I know in portuguese.
Mocambos e quilombos: Uma história do campesinato negro no Brasil (Mocambos and quilombos, the History of black peasants in Brazil.)
https://www.amazon.com.br/Mocambos-quilombos-história-campesinato-Brasileira-ebook/dp/B01992RZ98
Quilombos - Resistência ao Escravismo (Quilombos- Resistance to Slavery.) Clovis Moura.

If you have doubts in more books, I'm at you disposal.

Reactions: Frank81 and Tulius

Tairusiano

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Brazil
Before the European arrival, Brasil was covered by hundreds of different native American ethnic groups, most of then semi-nomads, groups, the greatest difference was in Amazon rainforest region, that formed his own local cultural development, in this region existed the full sedentary Amazonian Chiefdoms, some of these chiefdoms acquire some pretty big sizes, Orellana spanish explorer that crossed the amazon wrote about a highly populated amazon, but it was for a time only a man propaganda, but archeology is showing that in fact it was a different region from what was thought, the most famous and for now the site were we have the best knowledge is the "city-state" probably, of Kuhikugu in Xingu, they found 20 archeological sites, in a radius of 30 kilometers, it is now calculated that it housed 50 thousand habitants, the place had roads one of them with a width of 20 meters, with a defensive ditch, and some places a wood palisade. There are other archeological works but they are more new, one that is studying were the geoplyphs in western amazon, the other were the urban development in Marajo island and the Chiefdom of Santarém.
(PDF) Pre-Columbian earth-builders settled along the entire southern rim of the Amazon
(PDF) Pre-Columbian Geometric Earthworks in the Upper Purús: A Complex Society in Western Amazonia
The Ecology of Power
http://www.dsr.inpe.br/marajo/Archaeological.pdf

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Before the European arrival, Brasil was covered by hundreds of different native American ethnic groups, most of then semi-nomads, groups, the greatest difference was in Amazon rainforest region, that formed his own local cultural development, in this region existed the full sedentary Amazonian Chiefdoms, some of these chiefdoms acquire some pretty big sizes, Orellana spanish explorer that crossed the amazon wrote about a highly populated amazon, but it was for a time only a man propaganda, but archeology is showing that in fact it was a different region from what was thought, the most famous and for now the site were we have the best knowledge is the "city-state" probably, of Kuhikugu in Xingu, they found 20 archeological sites, in a radius of 30 kilometers, it is now calculated that it housed 50 thousand habitants, the place had roads one of them with a width of 20 meters, with a defensive ditch, and some places a wood palisade. There are other archeological works but they are more new, one that is studying were the geoplyphs in western amazon, the other were the urban development in Marajo island and the Chiefdom of Santarém.
(PDF) Pre-Columbian earth-builders settled along the entire southern rim of the Amazon
(PDF) Pre-Columbian Geometric Earthworks in the Upper Purús: A Complex Society in Western Amazonia
The Ecology of Power
http://www.dsr.inpe.br/marajo/Archaeological.pdf
Don't forget those Amazons that Franciso de Orellana got beaten by and gave their name to the river! :)