History of Germany/Austria

Sep 2016
Prague
I want to improve my German and hence is my interest in the history of Germany and Austria.
Are there people who find German history particularly interesting? What time period or aspects of German history do you find especially interesting?

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
I want to improve my German and hence is my interest in the history of Germany and Austria.
Are there people who find German history particularly interesting? What time period or aspects of German history do you find especially interesting?
People tend to start with the Völkerwanderung or Migration Period because this is when we have familiar tribal names. Before then, we have cultures, like Jastorf or Harpstedt Nienburg. Although Caesar wrote a little about Germania, it is generally taken to mean all those groups living east of the Rhine whereas tacitus, writing at the end of the 1st century AD starts to write about the different peoples who lived there and starts to discuss their lifestyles. Always a good idea to start with Tacitus, preferably a scholarly commentary such as Rives' Germania where he discusses views on Tacitus' text, but you can read a translation of Tacitus online too.

Germanic speaking tribes started migrating southwards, though we do not know how far north they were when they started, or when they started. By the time we are into the 2nd and 3rd centuries AD they are pushing up against the borders of the roman empire, which was in modern day germany, the so called upper germanic and rhaetian limes.

https://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/source/tacitus1.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Germanic-Rhaetian_Limes

Last edited:
Jun 2017
Connecticut
I do. German history is really complicated due to the HRE(which existed for the lions share of German history) and deciphering that web is fascinating. Important to note that many parts of the original East Francia are no longer part of Germany(Austria is one of several)and today's state of Germany is only about a third of it's original size.

Similar History Discussions