History of Indian Obsession with Fair Skin

Apr 2018
Ayodhya
I have recently been reading Manucci's work (17th century). He seems to suggest that the Persians mocked the Indians, as they considered the latter as their slaves. They mocked the Indians for their dark skin, and their customs, etc... Shah Abbas II went so far to call Aurangzeb as "Blackamoor". Aurangzeb was conscious of this "inferiority" of the Indians in terms of skin color, in comparison to the Persians. During the preparation of the war with Shah Abbas II, Aurangzeb (in anxiety) ordered the book of Khwaja Hasan Shirazi, about Islamic doctrine, to be opened. Whichever verse his eye fell on was to be treated as prophetic, and he would regulate his future actions based on that verse. His eye fell on the following verse:

"I am greatly amazed that the black man should claim equality with his master".

Aurangzeb understood the import of this verse to be that he, a king of the blacks (Indians), should not dare to wage war against the superior Persians, generally considered the masters of the Indians. Aurangzeb was pissed off, and ordered all copies of this book to be burned. So, it does seem that there was a conscious inferiority that the Mughals felt, when comparing themselves to Persians and others in Central Asia. When your own rulers see the public in this way, stereotypes will penetrate quite deeply into the psyche of the masses, and consequently, the masses would try to overcome this "inferiority", by trying to appear less dark.

The stereotype of black Indians being inferior was a common one among Central Asians. With the Central Asians invading India, these stereotypes penetrated to the inner core of the masses.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
I have recently been reading Manucci's work (17th century). He seems to suggest that the Persians mocked the Indians, as they considered the latter as their slaves. They mocked the Indians for their dark skin, and their customs, etc... Shah Abbas II went so far to call Aurangzeb as "Blackamoor". Aurangzeb was conscious of this "inferiority" of the Indians in terms of skin color, in comparison to the Persians. During the preparation of the war with Shah Abbas II, Aurangzeb (in anxiety) ordered the book of Khwaja Hasan Shirazi, about Islamic doctrine, to be opened. Whichever verse his eye fell on was to be treated as prophetic, and he would regulate his future actions based on that verse. His eye fell on the following verse:

Aurangzeb understood the import of this verse to be that he, a king of the blacks (Indians), should not dare to wage war against the superior Persians, generally considered the masters of the Indians. Aurangzeb was pissed off, and ordered all copies of this book to be burned. So, it does seem that there was a conscious inferiority that the Mughals felt, when comparing themselves to Persians and others in Central Asia. When your own rulers see the public in this way, stereotypes will penetrate quite deeply into the psyche of the masses, and consequently, the masses would try to overcome this "inferiority", by trying to appear less dark.

The stereotype of black Indians being inferior was a common one among Central Asians. With the Central Asians invading India, these stereotypes penetrated to the inner core of the masses.
What has Mughal King's thoughts anything to do with what happened thousands of years before that?

Feb 2019
Ariaca

I don't think hat's true.

1) Persians themeselves have Same skin color as majority of North Indians, only facial features are different.

2) Persians Never ruled India.

Apr 2018
Ayodhya
Aatreya, I am saying that the obsession with fair skin is a recent one, with Central Asians (with their light skin superiority complex) invading India and imposing their ideas on Indians. If we go back 1000s of years, we can see that dark skin was not looked down upon. Both Rama and Krishna were praised for their dark skin tone.

Apr 2018
Ayodhya
I don't think hat's true.

1) Persians themeselves have Same skin color as majority of North Indians, only facial features are different.

2) Persians Never ruled India.
1) Not true. Indians are generally darker than Persians. Aurangzeb, Shah Abbas, and Manucci also thought so. The commoners in India have a darker skin tone, compared to the Persians (Iranians).

2) True, but the Mughals came from that part of the world (Central Asia), and had ties with the Persians. It is but natural for the Mughals to inherit these skin color ideals that were extant at the time, which the Persians also picked up on. Once the Mughals came to India, they would easily be able to spread these ideas into inner India, where the masses would pick them up.

Reactions: Juggernaut
Feb 2019
Ariaca
1) Not true. Indians are generally darker than Persians. Aurangzeb, Shah Abbas, and Manucci also thought so. The commoners in India have a darker skin tone, compared to the Persians (Iranians).

2) True, but the Mughals came from that part of the world (Central Asia), and had ties with the Persians. It is but natural for the Mughals to inherit these skin color ideals that were extant at the time, which the Persians also picked up on. Once the Mughals came to India, they would easily be able to spread these ideas into inner India, where the masses would pick them up.
That's true for only Persians from North of Persia, they are a minority

Jan 2019
Valencia
That's true for only Persians from North of Persia, they are a minority
I have been to a few cities in Iran for work and they do indeed look very different from Indians (including Northern ones). Only those in Sistan and Baluchestan region look a bit similar to Indians due to harsher conditions and even then you can see the difference in facial features. In the West many Persians can pass as White as well. You have probably never seen Persians if you think Indians in general look like them.

Feb 2019
Ariaca
I have been to a few cities in Iran for work and they do indeed look very different from Indians (including Northern ones). Only those in Sistan and Baluchestan region look a bit similar to Indians due to harsher conditions and even then you can see the difference in facial features. In the West many Persians can pass as White as well. You have probably never seen Persians if you think Indians in general look like them.
Being from a family that owns several businesses all over world for over 3 generations I also have pleasure of working with Persians just like you and many more.

That's why I said that Persians on north can pass as whites but Persians from central and Southern. Iran from kizistan to Baloochistan have similar skin color to majority of North Indians but have different facial features from Indians.

Jan 2019
Valencia
Being from a family that owns several businesses all over world for over 3 generations I also have pleasure of working with Persians just like you and many more.

That's why I said that Persians on north can pass as whites but Persians from central and Southern. Iran from kizistan to Baloochistan have similar skin color to majority of North Indians but have different facial features from Indians.
No they don't dude. Average North Indian don't have the same skin tone as Persians. Persians are even fairer then Kurds so how can they share the same skin tone as North Indians? Even Aurangzeb believed so. The only exception to this would be Kashmiris and Himachalis but they are outliers. The Iranians in the South are usually Baloch and Arab (Khuzestan and Hormozgan) so not Persian.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Are you lot debating skin color again ?

'Persian skin color ' :rolleyes:

What, before or after the Arab conquest ?

( I wonder what color Australians are supposed to be ? :think: )