History of Indo-British Cuisine

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Aussie food pre mid 60s was very bland . Sausage, or chops and 3 veg . A roast chicken or rabbit on Sundays and fish on Friday .

I read an amusing comment in a local book on indigenous / white interaction. An elder was asked what he thought the best thing that white people had bought to the Aboriginal. He pondered for a bit then sparked up " Curry powder ! "

.... " Curry powder ! Why ? "

" Curried pippies .... mmmm ... delicious ! " :D

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Aussie food pre mid 60s was very bland . Sausage, or chops and 3 veg . A roast chicken or rabbit on Sundays and fish on Friday .

I read an amusing comment in a local book on indigenous / white interaction. An elder was asked what he thought the best thing that white people had bought to the Aboriginal. He pondered for a bit then sparked up " Curry powder ! "

.... " Curry powder ! Why ? "

" Curried pippies .... mmmm ... delicious ! " :D
Can't you Aussies add curry to the vegomite? mmmm.. :p

Sep 2012
India
I was going through the interesting history of Worcestershire sauce and two British chemists trying to replicate the taste of the Indian fish curry but ended up inventing the Worcestershire sauce . Although the ingredients look similar to Indian but sauce don't taste similar to any Indian fish curry.

I would like to know about other 'distinct British' Indo-British fusion cuisine.
There used to be an item called ' Railway Chicken ' in some of the restaurants I ate in when I used to eat non-veg food. It was said to be a dish served in British days on the Indian Railways. I wonder what it is or rather was.

Sep 2012
India
PSHAW ! How dare you Sir !

" That’s the accepted story of chicken tikka masala, retold in anecdotes and articles time and again. It’s such an article of faith—Ali Asif, the current manager of Shish Mahal, affirms its authenticity—that five years ago, in 2009, it even became the basis of a parliamentary campaign to obtain European Union Protected Designation of Origin status for the dish. A recognition of unparalleled ingredients, knowledge, heritage, or other cultural or technical factors, these designations mark out those cuisines which are quintessential and unparalleled representations of a nation’s food and peoples. So in launching the movement, the then-Glaswegian Member of Parliament (and the first Muslim MP in Britain) Mohamed Sarwar sought to place chicken tikka masala on the same playing field as Arbroath Smokies, Cornish Clotted Cream, Melton Mowbray Pork Pies, and Welsh Lamb. He was also trying to mark out a space for the official recognition and appreciation of a unique and ubiquitous British culture: that of the increasingly numerous South Asian migrants and their descendants, with feet planted firmly, if to varied degrees, in the Isles and in the Subcontinent. Too bad for him, chicken tikka masala turned out to be a contentious and flighty peg to hang this heavy task upon, and the story itself—the one I just told you about—turned out to be bollocks. "

Who owns Chicken Tikka Masala?

I challenge you to debate in the Indian History sub-forum .... where you shall be chastised in broken unclear English with uncertain meaning, interpaced with Vedic quotes, insistence, strange 'logic' and for cultural misappropriation by the INMCTOOIP theory people

(Indian Nationalist Movement Chicken Tikka Out of India Party )
I take it that the comments made rather unnecessarily about possible postings in the Indian History sub-forum are a feeble attempt at a joke.

Sep 2012
India
Kedgeree appears to be a mispronunciation of ' Khichadi ', a rice preparation made with rice grains mixed with a lentil called ' Urad ' ( Black Gram or Black Lentil ) also, at times mixed with a lentil called ' Moong ' ( Yellow Split Gram ), and the mix of rice grains cooked with the lentil grains after frying them lightly first. A touch salt is added as per taste. A great way to start the day or enjoy a midday lunch or the evening meal. But it must be hot!

Last edited:

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
PSHAW ! How dare you Sir !

" That’s the accepted story of chicken tikka masala, retold in anecdotes and articles time and again. It’s such an article of faith—Ali Asif, the current manager of Shish Mahal, affirms its authenticity—that five years ago, in 2009, it even became the basis of a parliamentary campaign to obtain European Union Protected Designation of Origin status for the dish. A recognition of unparalleled ingredients, knowledge, heritage, or other cultural or technical factors, these designations mark out those cuisines which are quintessential and unparalleled representations of a nation’s food and peoples. So in launching the movement, the then-Glaswegian Member of Parliament (and the first Muslim MP in Britain) Mohamed Sarwar sought to place chicken tikka masala on the same playing field as Arbroath Smokies, Cornish Clotted Cream, Melton Mowbray Pork Pies, and Welsh Lamb. He was also trying to mark out a space for the official recognition and appreciation of a unique and ubiquitous British culture: that of the increasingly numerous South Asian migrants and their descendants, with feet planted firmly, if to varied degrees, in the Isles and in the Subcontinent. Too bad for him, chicken tikka masala turned out to be a contentious and flighty peg to hang this heavy task upon, and the story itself—the one I just told you about—turned out to be bollocks. "

Who owns Chicken Tikka Masala?

I challenge you to debate in the Indian History sub-forum .... where you shall be chastised in broken unclear English with uncertain meaning, interpaced with Vedic quotes, insistence, strange 'logic' and for cultural misappropriation by the INMCTOOIP theory people

(Indian Nationalist Movement Chicken Tikka Out of India Party )

I don't mind British claiming Chicken Tikka Masala as their own because its they who invented it. Although we eat Chicken Tikka with mint chutney in India but never heard of any native dish called Chicken Tikka masala. But Butter Chicken and Tandoori Chicken were invented in Delhi in post-Independent India.

Similar History Discussions