History of Lighthouses in Asia (China)

Jul 2019
North America
Hey everyone, I've been trying to find some history on lighthouses in Asia and everything is coming up very Euro-centric (surprise!). It seems like a simple enough concept that maybe I'm thinking about it too hard and the various peoples of Asia surely had lighthouses... Or maybe China (specifically) didn't build them until much later? I can't seem to find anything. Admittedly, I haven't done a super deep dive but I thought I'd ask here.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Jul 2019
North America
Yeah, I read somewhere without a source (a snippet from something) that they might have started building them when the Europeans arrived.

Sep 2012
Taiwan
I'd put money on there being some kind of coastal beacon system before then, but that may stretch your definition of a lighthouse. The Yuan dynasty would be a good bet at the very latest, as that's when maritime trade and travel really began to kick off, but I don't really know much about it.

Jul 2019
North America
I was just revising my search to not use Lighthouse but rather Beacon Tower or Coast Beacon or something haha. This seems much more likely.

Thanks for the Pagoda link, though - I think my terminology was just too narrow and even medieval "lighthouses" in Europe seem to grow in popularity much later than I thought. But the notion of just some coastal beacon system for navigation makes sense.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions