History of Rors of Haryana

Jan 2016
India
In my native state of Haryana, there is a community called Ror (रोड़). They also call themselves 'Marathas', and claim to be descended from them. However, their names do not sound Marathi at all, and everything about them, their name language and culture is completely Hariyanvi. They certainly do not have any records of lineages which proves that they are descended from the Marathas, if I'm right. What is interesting is that they are present only in some 80 villages of Haryana (and in those villages, they are a majority), and all those villages lie in the Karnal-Kurkshetra belt. There is hardly any trace of them in southern or western Haryana, and there are a handful of villages in Western UP. TBH, I have not done much research on their history, but their history has always confused me. So do anyone of you have any idea about their origins and history? Please share.

Their status in Haryanvi society is similar to that of the Jats, and they are considered somewhat lower than Rajputs. They claim to be a community of proper Kshatriya status but many Rajputs and Brahmins don't think so. However, they look like their ancestors must have been fierce and brave warriors, and their culture is very similar to that of other martial communities of NW India, but hardly any resemblance with Marathi culture. They have clan-names which they often use as surnames, like Balyan, Kadyan, Taya etc. and all of them use Choudhary as their surname.

Last edited:
Jan 2016
India
They are Haryanvi jats, I guess you are brahmin?
Yeah, I am a Brahmin. But Jats are a completely different community from Rors, except in that they both have a sort of martial culture.

Jats are a dominant community in Haryana, and they live in Eastern and Southern districts of Haryana, while Rors live in more northern areas. They have nothing to do with each other, AFAIK.

Sep 2015
Pakistan
Yeah, I am a Brahmin. But Jats are a completely different community from Rors, except in that they both have a sort of martial culture.

Jats are a dominant community in Haryana, and they live in Eastern and Southern districts of Haryana, while Rors live in more northern areas. They have nothing to do with each other, AFAIK.
In that case they could be some other native comunity of Haryana.

Mar 2014
Canada
I know it's not reliable but Jatland claim them to be Jat clan. Bear in mind that Jatland also claim Marathas, Rajputs and Gurkhas to be Jats as well. Make of it it what you will lol.

Last edited:
Jan 2015
Here and there
In my native state of Haryana, there is a community called Ror (रोड़). They also call themselves 'Marathas', and claim to be descended from them. However, their names do not sound Marathi at all, and everything about them, their name language and culture is completely Hariyanvi. They certainly do not have any records of lineages which proves that they are descended from the Marathas, if I'm right. What is interesting is that they are present only in some 80 villages of Haryana (and in those villages, they are a majority), and all those villages lie in the Karnal-Kurkshetra belt. There is hardly any trace of them in southern or western Haryana, and there are a handful of villages in Western UP. TBH, I have not done much research on their history, but their history has always confused me. So do anyone of you have any idea about their origins and history? Please share.

Their status in Haryanvi society is similar to that of the Jats, and they are considered somewhat lower than Rajputs. They claim to be a community of proper Kshatriya status but many Rajputs and Brahmins don't think so. However, they look like their ancestors must have been fierce and brave warriors, and their culture is very similar to that of other martial communities of NW India, but hardly any resemblance with Marathi culture. They have clan-names which they often use as surnames, like Balyan, Kadyan, Taya etc. and all of them use Choudhary as their surname.

This could be a case of a hitherto little known martial group riding the coat tails of a more successful and famous ethnic group and claiming descent from them.
It is possible some Marathas intermarried with a few Rors and stayed on in Haryana but by and large the original group while demographically dominant wasnt affected by the culture or language decided to adopt Maratha lineage as a point of pride.

Similar to how many minor unknown kings traditionally claimed to descendents of solar and lunar dynasty with no proof whatsoever.

Jan 2016
India
This could be a case of a hitherto little known martial group riding the coat tails of a more successful and famous ethnic group and claiming descent from them.
It is possible some Marathas intermarried with a few Rors and stayed on in Haryana but by and large the original group while demographically dominant wasnt affected by the culture or language decided to adopt Maratha lineage as a point of pride.

Similar to how many minor unknown kings traditionally claimed to descendents of solar and lunar dynasty with no proof whatsoever.
It would have made sense, if Marathas were popular in Haryana.

They hardly had much success in this region, and most Haryanvis would not even know that they ruled parts of Haryana. On the other hand, almost all are aware of Afghans, Turks, Sikhs and Rajputs. I can't imagine any Haryanvi community claiming descent from Marathas because of their fame and popularity. This would make zero sense to any Hariyanvi.

Similar History Discussions