History of Rors of Haryana

Jul 2017
Sydney
^^ Could you show couple of crowd pictures of Rors people of Haryana?
No idea where to get crowd pictures as I'm far away from India at the moment. But if it helps, you could look at a few of the Indian athletes at the recent Asian games such as Neeraj Chopra, the javelin thrower and Manoj Kumar, the boxer

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
^^ Thanks. I just wanted to know how Rors peoples look like the way you perceive them.
They look typical for the peoples of the Haryana region. They fall within South Asian spectrum, and would be easily identified as such.

Jul 2017
Sydney
^^ Thanks. I just wanted to know how Rors peoples look like the way you perceive them.
They look typical for the peoples of the Haryana region. They fall within South Asian spectrum, and would be easily identified as such.
True! Even principal component analysis (PCA) still plots them within the Indo Pak Afghan cluster, although it takes them into Northern Pakistan.

But you are spot on

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Not at all! To the contrary, I believe this finding still has some circular referencing problems and with more discoveries of ancient DNA (hopefully Baghpat soon) we would be able to show Ror as a predecessor of Yamnaya (early to middle bronze age on the steppes)

After all, whatever history is available from that far back (read Indian Vedas or Puranas) do talk of Chakravartin campaigns of Kartavirya Arjuna, which must have affected the steppes

But I do agree with this paper on that the other populations from the northern region picked up their western seeming genetics from the Ror, who may also represent the yet unresolved Indian contributors to the steppes region
For argument's sake, let's say Rors came into India in 3000 BCE, and they were from Steppes. What is their social hierarchy in the Hindu society? Are they considered as Brahmins or are they Kshatriyas?

The reason I ask you this is, if they were the ones who brought in Vedic religion to India and they are not Brahmins, it is probably less likely they actually brought in Vedic religion. Then there must have been already existing Vedic religion/culture they must have been absorbed into.

Jul 2017
Sydney
For argument's sake, let's say Rors came into India in 3000 BCE, and they were from Steppes. What is their social hierarchy in the Hindu society? Are they considered as Brahmins or are they Kshatriyas?

The reason I ask you this is, if they were the ones who brought in Vedic religion to India and they are not Brahmins, it is probably less likely they actually brought in Vedic religion. Then there must have been already existing Vedic religion/culture they must have been absorbed into.
They have been Kshatriya right from RV era as the only Brahmin who fought in Dasrajna War were the Bhrigus, who were pretty much on the losing side as well.

Their bards do admit of historical marital alliances with Brahmins, the most recent one they talk of being in the context of Harichand Rohilladhi, the ancestor of most Pratiharas in history. Harichand had both Brahmin and Kshatriya wives

Your point is strong because Mehrgarh shows Vedic symbols such as Swastika in the neolithic, sometime before 3000 BC

Last edited:
Jan 2019
Rorland Haryana
Al-bruni never mentioned anything like that. Maybe you read that in jatland, 3000 years :lol:

Jats are first mentioned in Sindh by famous Chinese traveler in 6th century.

"Hiuen Tsang gave the following account of a numerous pastoral-nomadic population in seventh-century Sin-ti (Sind): 'By the side of the river..[of Sind], along the flat marshy lowlands for some thousand li, there are several hundreds of thousands [a very great many] families ..[which] give themselves exclusively to tending cattle and from this derive their livelihood. They have no masters, and whether men or women, have neither rich nor poor.' They claiming to be bhuddists but were of unfeeling temper and hasty disposition."

But where did all these sindhi jats go? In 1901 Sindh census only 27.000 people returned as jats.
Yes you are right! And this is what I found that Rors used to rule that region at that time, where Jats were common population at that time. So in my opinion, Rors can be the royals out of common Jats. And I have many more evidences to prove my point.
Afterall Jats are shakyas who spread into Sindh and western region of India, through multiple invasions with time to time. Actually Shakyas were said to be "mlechhes" in Mahabharata, i.e who were Aryan by blood and race, but not by habits, due to like eating non veg, and other non Aryan customs .
Also if considered at that time when Rors ruled over Sindh and western India, these are time when their were initial invasions of shakyas in India and also known as first shakyas rule.
Not much detailed is mentioned about shakyas in Indian history, but what I have got is that they used to rule through kshatrapas and had no certain king, means alliances due to same race. Moreover when we look into history, the jat term is not mentioned before Rors , but it was the Rors who are mentioned earlier.
Even shakyas was a term used relative to Jats ( also may be Rors ) in the history, and and Ror word is used as a clan/race during that period
So in my opinion , Rors are descendents of early shakyas of early vedic period, and that is the reason that they were ruling over Jats (i.e for which term shakyas is used collectively at that time), because since it was later proved that Jats are descendants of shakyas, so how could Rors have ruled over shakyan region?? During the time of early shakyan invasions .
It may be only because Rors and Jats were of same blood and same race ( Aryans), but Rors may be noble class of shakyas. This is the cause that Rors and Jats still have most of their gotras to be same, like mehla, kadiyan, chopras ( which now use surname goyat in jats), etc etc.
One more thing, if anyone doubts of Ror being Shakyas, is that in whole india no martial caste (also not Jats) that have gotra Turan. But Turan is second largest gotra in Rors.
And what is more interesting that there is region in Iranian area , named turan. Original descendents of shakyas from that area still use turan as their surname. Also if see the map, iranian region is from where shakyans used to prevail and their invasions started.
Now the biggest question that prevails in Ror society that if they have ruled so before, then how is their population so less (compared to other castes and their own brothers Jats)
This is not strange, because Rors were nobles class in shakyans ( i.e Jats), and today if even we may count the original descendents of Jaipur rajgharana family , they may be not more than few thousands . Similarly for moguls, and other royal families, they are less in number compared to common population of Mughals and Rajputs. The same could have happened in the case of Rors too, they and jat trace same lineage, but they don't intermarry easily with Jats.
One more thing I want to bring in notice that many of the wives of Ror kings were Brahmins. It implies that Rors were allowed to marry to Brahmins at that time of early vedic period, unlike other Kshatriyas. So Rors surely used to be of superior stature out of others, at that time.
Another thing is that Bhats come to Rors like other Royal (noble) castes and keep their records, but it is not in jats (their brothers by blood) (shakyas), which clearly shows that Rors were Royalty of Jats.

Jan 2019
Haryana
In my native state of Haryana, there is a community called Ror (रोड़). They also call themselves 'Marathas', and claim to be descended from them. However, their names do not sound Marathi at all, and everything about them, their name language and culture is completely Hariyanvi. They certainly do not have any records of lineages which proves that they are descended from the Marathas, if I'm right. What is interesting is that they are present only in some 80 villages of Haryana (and in those villages, they are a majority), and all those villages lie in the Karnal-Kurkshetra belt. There is hardly any trace of them in southern or western Haryana, and there are a handful of villages in Western UP. TBH, I have not done much research on their history, but their history has always confused me. So do anyone of you have any idea about their origins and history? Please share.

Their status in Haryanvi society is similar to that of the Jats, and they are considered somewhat lower than Rajputs. They claim to be a community of proper Kshatriya status but many Rajputs and Brahmins don't think so. However, they look like their ancestors must have been fierce and brave warriors, and their culture is very similar to that of other martial communities of NW India, but hardly any resemblance with Marathi culture. They have clan-names which they often use as surnames, like Balyan, Kadyan, Taya etc. and all of them use Choudhary as their surname.
It would have made sense, if Marathas were popular in Haryana.

They hardly had much success in this region, and most Haryanvis would not even know that they ruled parts of Haryana. On the other hand, almost all are aware of Afghans, Turks, Sikhs and Rajputs. I can't imagine any Haryanvi community claiming descent from Marathas because of their fame and popularity. This would make zero sense to any Hariyanvi.
First thing first....how did you reach to the conclusion that RoR Marathas status is lower than Rajput....Let me clear certain things...First-Those who fight for the nation has highest status in the society which Marathas did and second your doubt that whether they are even Marathas or not ..i must say if you go through the history, you'll see that the remaining of Maratha soldiers had bounty on their heads after the 3rd battle of panipat which left Maratha soldiers no choice but to disguise them using some other name- ror....Not only this, there are certain words used by ror community common to the marathi language...So in my opinion..one must go through history before spitting wild throughts.

Similar History Discussions