History of Rors of Haryana

Jul 2017
Sydney
Some people don't get the idea that it's scientifically not possible to relate Ror to Maratha

Anyway, to point out the futility of such guesswork and give pointers to the ancient presence of Rors in the north Indian and Pakistani neighborhoods, let's recount a few references -
1) Rorh valley Afghanistan where Dauri or Dawari Pathans live, also genetically close to Haryana Rors
2) Rohri in Sindh that is remembered by all bards related to the Rors as a place founded by Dhaj (Rai Diyach), Ror Kumar
3) Raja Ror Parmar mentioned in Ras Mala by Forbes
4) Kagarol fort excavations report by Cunningham in 1871 describing how the name came about by Kaga+Ror transforming to Kaga + Rol and the fort being founded by a Ror Raja
5) Explorations in the Baghpat area yielding novel info to Rewant Vikram Singh about the presence of an ancient fort in the region that was founded by another Ror Raja

In the light of all these references plus the mention in 'an enquiry into the ethnography of Afghanistan' of Ror Parihars, we can clearly conclude Rors have been occupying the northern parts of the subcontinent since antiquity

Jan 2019
Valencia
Best way to ascertain the Ror-Maratha connection is to see if there are any medieval sources detailing the existence of Rors prior to Maratha invasion. If there aren't any then maybe there is some truth to the claim.

Jul 2017
Sydney
Best way to ascertain the Ror-Maratha connection is to see if there are any medieval sources detailing the existence of Rors prior to Maratha invasion. If there aren't any then maybe there is some truth to the claim.
There are plenty including Chachnama that speaks of a 'Dahiraud' (prince from among the thakurs) as leading the Indian army at the scene of one of the battles between Bin Qasim's and Sindh forces (early 8th century)

The 'Dahiraud' compound is made of Dahir+Ror

Putting dates on my previous post items, the Raja Ror Parmar in Forbes' Ras Mala is from the 10th century, the Kagarol fort excavated by Cunningham is from 3rd century BC or thereabouts

Hence, there is no confusion

Instead what serious historians need to consider is the evidence for Rashtrauds close to Nashik in the medieval era. This word is a compound of Rashtri + Ror, signifying the Rashtri people mixed in Nashik area with Ror long ago

Last edited:
Jan 2019
Valencia
There are plenty including Chachnama that speaks of a 'Dahiraud' (prince from among the thakurs)
So Thakur in Haryana refers to the Ror community? I have my doubts about that. Also Dahiraud sounds like a bit of a stretch imo. Is there any reputable source that also takes this view?

Jul 2017
Sydney
So Thakur in Haryana refers to the Ror community? I have my doubts about that. Also Dahiraud sounds like a bit of a stretch imo. Is there any reputable source that also takes this view?
Thakur in Haryana isn't a title much used. Haryanvis are much more besotted with Chaudhari (meaning someone whose writ runs large in the area). But Ror Thakurs do exist in the Jhansi area

Dahiraud isn't a stretch given the evidence of Ror (Sindhuraj in other sources) Parmar in Ras Mala just a few generations apart

Also to consider is that the Sindh capital was called Roruka even in 6th century BC as per Rhys Davids

Last edited:
Jul 2017
Sydney
Kamboja were that ancient? That makes them older than Hittites in Anatolia.
Oh yeah! These North Indian tribal associations are pretty ancient

Just the other day I read another paper that dated the North Pakistani Kalash people, and by default the subject population of this thread as they are from the same branch, to 12,000 years

Jan 2019
Rorland Haryana
Some people don't get the idea that it's scientifically not possible to relate Ror to Maratha

Anyway, to point out the futility of such guesswork and give pointers to the ancient presence of Rors in the north Indian and Pakistani neighborhoods, let's recount a few references -
1) Rorh valley Afghanistan where Dauri or Dawari Pathans live, also genetically close to Haryana Rors
2) Rohri in Sindh that is remembered by all bards related to the Rors as a place founded by Dhaj (Rai Diyach), Ror Kumar
3) Raja Ror Parmar mentioned in Ras Mala by Forbes
4) Kagarol fort excavations report by Cunningham in 1871 describing how the name came about by Kaga+Ror transforming to Kaga + Rol and the fort being founded by a Ror Raja
5) Explorations in the Baghpat area yielding novel info to Rewant Vikram Singh about the presence of an ancient fort in the region that was founded by another Ror Raja

In the light of all these references plus the mention in 'an enquiry into the ethnography of Afghanistan' of Ror Parihars, we can clearly conclude Rors have been occupying the northern parts of the subcontinent since antiquity
Can you give link for your point no. 5 and Ror parihar point?? I want to go through it.

May 2013
The abode of the lord of the north
They have been Kshatriya right from RV era as the only Brahmin who fought in Dasrajna War were the Bhrigus, who were pretty much on the losing side as well.

Their bards do admit of historical marital alliances with Brahmins, the most recent one they talk of being in the context of Harichand Rohilladhi, the ancestor of most Pratiharas in history. Harichand had both Brahmin and Kshatriya wives

Your point is strong because Mehrgarh shows Vedic symbols such as Swastika in the neolithic, sometime before 3000 BC
Swastika is interesting such a world wide symbol, yet enigmatic!

Similar History Discussions