History of the Atlantic World

Dec 2012
Savannah, GA
Hello Historum, it has been a while since I have posted here - While I have missed interacting with all you fine folks here, I have still been busy with history and now I finally have a project to present that hopefully some of you may enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/atlanticworld This is a link to my podcast about the History of the Atlantic World. I have an introductory series which is fun and got me acquainted with the steps to produce episodes and now I'm working on my first series "Rise of the Conquistadores." That is my soundcloud page where I host the episodes but you may also find them on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, etc. Whatever your preferred podcasting platform is you can probably find History of the Atlantic World!

Episode 1.1 documents the creation of Spain and Portugal in the fires of crusade and reconquest and the subsequent continuance of that crusade into the Mediterranean and finally into the Atlantic.

Episode 1.2 introduces us to the Guanche people and the Canary Islands as well as documents the last of the Norman conquests of those islands under Jean de Bethencourt.

And just yesterday I uploaded episode 1.3 which introduces us to a giant of the history of the Atlantic - The Infant Dom Henrique of Portugal, who comes down to us in history as the Navigator.

The series will conclude with two more episodes about the sub-Saharan Africa and the Portuguese efforts to open up an Atlantic slave and gold trade and the other that will focus on the Canary Islands from the 1420s or so on to 1492. Finally, a concluding episode will give us a whirlwind tour of the newly created Atlantic World as it stood before Columbus and then after that I will introduce that infamous Genoan .

The immediate plan for the once those episodes are out is that I will begin another series that will document the pre-Columbian history of the Americas before finally diving into the collision that occurs between two worlds in a third series.

Got a lot planned after that - as that will put us 3 series in not including the introduction and we will still have to introduce the Dutch, French, and English interlopers that begin arriving onto the scene in the 1500s!

I am loving producing episodes and I'm hoping this hobby of mine can one day be my life's work and so any support is greatly appreciated. so I hope you check it out!

Jesse

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Your podcasts are very entertained and well informed, also you give them your personal touch, that's nice.

I don't want to focuse on mistakes, because they are few and I appreciate your general analysis. But let me point something:

"Tariq, an Arab leader..." Tariq was Berber as his army, Musa was Arab, as his army. The dichotomy Berber-Arab is very important to understand Al-Andalus.

"Principality of Asturias", kingdom. And don't forget the Frankish March to the east, but that's of lesser importance to the oceanic expansion.

Don't say Andalusia and Andalusian, it was Al-Andalus. I don't know in English, but in this case in Spanish the adjective is "Andalusí", maybe "Andalusi" in English?

Very nice accounting of the Umayyad. Excellent that you point to gold and slaves as the original purpose of the Iberian oceanic expansion. I hope to listen more later. Specially about the Canary Islands.

Last edited:

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
I'm now with the Canary Islands part:

-Good introduction to the diversity of its native inhabitants

-Very well informed about the living of them

-The written language was: lybic-berber (Latin based), and amazigh (phoenician based). Both can be traced back to North Africa

-Nice you mention "Le Canarien", a forgotten source that need to be introduced into the English speaking world. You name Abreu Galindo, who is the best (English available), and I can recommend other Chronicles lesser known that are very interesting.

-In Gran Canaria, nobility had long hair, plebeians short one. Butcherers and other tabu workers had their hair removed.

-No, in Fuerteventura they weren't more urban (no agriculture). Gran Canaria was (irrigated agriculture)

Dec 2012
Savannah, GA
Thank you so much for your insights and expertise Frank!

Let me tell you, I was really worried about talking about the creation of Spain and Portugal because as interested as I am in Atlantic World history I have very little experience with medieval history and don't really have any more than any other layperson would have on the history of Medieval Europe and just as little with the history of the Medieval Islamic world.

I knew there was a pretty big likelihood of making mistakes with pronunciation and ethnic backgrounds because I went into that episode (1.1) with little background info. So, to hear that you actually enjoyed hearing a bit about that makes me very happy.

I started episode 1.4 (Tentatively titled "My Brother's Keeper) which will introduce us a bit to sub-Saharan Africa before returning to Zurara's Chronicle and diving into Cadamosto (who after reading him he just might be my favorite primary source author of all time)

Anyway, I will also be setting aside a minute or two in the beginning of that episode to address the comments you've made here - so thank you very much for your input.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I started episode 1.4 (Tentatively titled "My Brother's Keeper) which will introduce us a bit to sub-Saharan Africa before returning to Zurara's Chronicle and diving into Cadamosto (who after reading him he just might be my favorite primary source author of all time)
I can’t comment much, I usually download it to ear it while running, but it seems I can’t download here. I begun the first episode, my first comment is that the sound seems a bit low, don’t know if anyone else thinks the same.

My first feeling is similar to the words of Frank. I also found odd the designation “Principality of Asturias", it was a kingdom, like Frank mentioned.

As for the quoted part if you are returning to Zurara and diving into Cadamosto, you are certainly in the company of good sources, which was what I found lacking in the beginning of the video, or in the site, was mentioning the sources that you used (pardon me if you mention them at the end).

About Infante D. Henrique, in great part due to the English speaking historians, and the exploitation of his figure as a national hero by the “Estado Novo”, he was seen as the sole father of the Portuguese discoveries.

Today we know that it was not so. He certainly was quite important, but he was not the only one to send ships to Africa. His brother, the king, D. Duarte did the same, as his brother D. Pedro, Duke of Coimbra, an intellectual, who was later killed in the battle of Alfarrobeira, and somewhat erased in the history. Let us not forget that Zurara was with the winning (paying) side.

Offspring

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
România
@OP: There's a bit of background noise. Audacity is free and this is an easy guide for a quick fix (scroll down a bit): https://theaudacitytopodcast.com/tap012-how-to-remove-noise-with-audacity/

I hope it helps. Your audio is already better than a lot of big history podcasts.

As for the content, this isn't an area I'm very familiar with, but Frank and Tulius already gave excellent feedback.

Good luck with your podcast and congrats on the work you did so far!

Last edited:
Dec 2012
Savannah, GA
Thank you guys so much! I've added in a short section at the beginning of the next episode I am working on for corrections and I hope you don't mind me giving you some credit for the help and not to mention taking the opportunity to

I would like to continue getting feedback from anyone who is interested after each episode but for the sake of not spamming multiple threads over time I think it will be best to just keep this thread updated occasionally as I am able to produce episodes to give a very brief synopsis and invite discussion.

One of my listeners messaged me to tell me that I should be telling people to review the podcast on iTunes, Google Play, etc. So if I could ask one last favor (besides additional editing help for future episodes hehe) please if you are enjoying the show leave a review on podcast so that the algorithms of the sites promote it to others who are likely to enjoy.

Thanks again for the help and I'll write again as soon as episode 1.4 is finished thanks!

Similar History Discussions