History of the Ostsiedlung

Jan 2014
Regnum Francorum (orientalium) / Germany
Really, even better, not just equally good? Why exactly is their German better? :)
A lot of years ago I was in the rural areas somewhere near Freiburg (in the South-West of Germany). In one of the villages I asked an old lady for the way and I really had difficulties to understand her (I'm not used to the dialect of the Schwaben). When I was in Colmar in Alsace (only about 50 km from Freiburg), a lot of people in the Hotel and Restaurants spoke Hochdeutsch (Standard German) with a charming French accent. I started a conversation in French and they replied in German.:lol: If I had started in German, they would probably have replied in French.:cool:

Distance from Freiburg (Germany) to Colmar (France):
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Colm...6bb7a5df57b0!2m2!1d7.8421043!2d47.9990077!3e0

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
A lot of years ago I was in the rural areas somewhere near Freiburg (in the South-West of Germany). In one of the villages I asked an old lady for the way and I really had difficulties to understand her (I'm not used to the dialect of the Schwaben). When I was in Colmar in Alsace (only about 50 km from Freiburg), a lot of people in the Hotel and Restaurants spoke Hochdeutsch (Standard German) with a charming French accent. I started a conversation in French and they replied in German.:lol: If I had started in German, they would probably have replied in French.:cool:

Distance from Freiburg (Germany) to Colmar (France):
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Colm...6bb7a5df57b0!2m2!1d7.8421043!2d47.9990077!3e0
A friend of mine gave me another explanation to "Why exactly is their German better? : Hochdeutch was a foreign language and also a a "lingua franca". Learned in school, thus very literal, "clean".

He told me that he couldn't understand his friend coming from 50 km: he was from a Donau Schwab community, his buddy was from (old) L√ętzebuerg community, and as they couldn't understand each other, they used Hochdeutch. As all other Germans in the East.

Similar History Discussions