History of the Pathans , Pakhtuns or Afghans

Jun 2019
Afghanistan originally
They did once. Afghanistani Pashtuns have abandoned the usage of Khan title more recently, in last 50 years or so.
That explain, my great grand father name was Ahmed Khan but now we do tumse Khan title any more. Do you know any reason forth this change ?

It's bit unrealistic to think that whole tribe or branch of pashuta stopped using khan title suddenly without any main reason.

that royal puppet of british empire played around with our culture for sure.

Last edited:
Aug 2014
pakistan
There is not a single stone or brick building in Pakhtunkhwa which is built by post-Islamic Pashtuns during medieval period. Nomadic Pashtuns had tents, and settled ones had mud houses and mud forts.

Aug 2014
pakistan
That explain, my great grand father name was Ahmed Khan but now we do tumse Khan title any more. Do you know any reason forth this change ?

It's bit unrealistic to think that whole tribe or branch of pashuta stopped using khan title suddenly without any main reason.

that royal puppet of british empire played around with our culture for sure.
No idea to be honest. As late as 1929, majority of the notables in Afghanistan had Khan title. The Afghan commies have characteristically diminished usage of Khan, e.g Hafizullah Ameen, Nur Muhammad Tarakai, Shahnawaz Tanai, Babrak Shinwari etc. So this change happened between 1929 and 1980. It must have some thing to do with interference from Afghanistan government. The Wazirs on Afghanistan side dont use Khan title (or rarely use it) while ones in Waziristan use it heavily , same is case with other tribes which are split into two along the Durand line.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
now thats my kind of people, why you kashmiri Brahmins eat meat thought ? its due to Afghan Rule ? do you consider your people related to Dardic Afghans, Iranians or Indian Brahmins more ?
Aryans were meat-eaters. No problem even with beef. Kashmiri brahmins traditionally eat meat and use meat even in their rituals in worship of Shiva and Shakti. Some other brhmins in India also eat meat. Yeah, Dards, Afghans, Iranians, Indian Aryans were all from the same stock or neighboring tribes.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Sher Shah Suri - Even british empire praised him as a genius and brave king.
May Allah(SWT) grant him maghfirah for his deeds, illuminate his grave, and enter him into Jannat-ul-Firdaus, a man worthy of all the praise we shower on him in this Duniya. Ameen.
Ah! The British praised him. That is very creditable.
And if there is a God and a heaven, may he grant all that to Sher Shah Suri.
But rather than history, we should take care of our present.

Mar 2019
KL
these nomadic bunch of people were especially given highlight and superior status in the race theories of the british i-e colonial era propaganda, i'll like to quote some sentences from a Cambridge uni thesis

1559786397365.png

1559786512859.png
1559786595767.png

1559787224829.png

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/83939184.pdf

Indian club swinging in nineteenth and twentieth-century India and England

i just want to ask, if these nomads were so brave and so powerful, why did they lose against the inferior race of sikhs or punjabis? secondly why did the superior muslim persians who were of aryan breed adopted hindu indian clubs and hindu push ups and other exercises in the first place?

surprisingly, their wrestling tradition of Pahlevani and zoorkhaneh rituals - Wikipedia is declared UNESCO world heritage which is complete copy paste of a hindu/indian tradition.

regards

Aug 2014
pakistan
Ah! The British praised him. That is very creditable.
And if there is a God and a heaven, may he grant all that to Sher Shah Suri.
But rather than history, we should take care of our present.
Pashtun people praise Sher Shah Sur but he would have been remembered as a tyrant and a villain if he had tried to conquer and rule Pakhtunkhwa/Afghanistan. One of his generals ended up massacring an entire clan of Pashtuns settled along the border of river Indus and that mess was created by one of his nephew . If Sher Shah had built road from Attock to Kabul, he would have come into conflict with the unruly tribes like Yousafzais and Afridis, just like Akbar came into conflict with them. Being a Pashtun, Sher Shah would have been more intrusive and would have been more Unlikable to Pashtun tribes than Mughals were.

Mar 2019
KL
there is a very negative stereotype against bengalis today, but from the very era of shunga/chandraketugarh we see club lifting and weight exercises depicted on their art as well, same when it comes to south indians, manasollasa also lists club swinging.

regards

Aug 2014
pakistan
these nomadic bunch of people were especially given highlight and
None of the "nomadic bunch of people" were recruited in British-Indian army with martial race theory. The largest number of recruits were from Punjab, and they are not nomads. Pashtuns were largely recruited from Peshawar and Kohat, and people of those districts are also not nomads.

The favorites of British among the "martial races" were Gurkhas and Sikhs so i dont understand your anger directed against "nomads".

Similar History Discussions