History of which geograhical area is most objective/reliable

Apr 2017
Singapore/Canada
Hi there, I'm new here, just some engineer who LOVE to read about histories as a hobby, looking forward to learning and exchanging knowledge with all you gurus here.

Just wish to know from your prospective the history of which geographical areas are more objective/reliable?

I personally couldn't stand either East Asian or Middle Eastern history, you just can't get around these area whiteout seeing the likes of Koreans and Turanists calming everything.

To me I'd think Western Europe and South East Asia are more of the "untainted" areas to read about.
I mean territorial disputes are unavoidable, but at least you won't find, not too much, claims like people_A is close to Koreans, therefore all people_As history is Korean history or all empires in the middle east or west/central Asia are Turkic.

Jan 2016
United States, MO
Objectivity and reliability in history depend on two things.

1) the number and strength of primary source material

2) the quality of the historian

Any region or time period can be objective if both of these things exist.

If there is a dearth of source material on a particular topic, or if the "historian" is a nationalist with an agenda, then you won't really be getting history.

Out of curiosity, where did you get this idea or Koreans claiming everything? I haven't really seen that. Honestly, IMO many people don't give Korea its due. I mean they arguably have the best script, and have many other achievements that aren't always recognized.

Apr 2017
Singapore/Canada
Objectivity and reliability in history depend on two things.

1) the number and strength of primary source material

2) the quality of the historian

Any region or time period can be objective if both of these things exist.

If there is a dearth of source material on a particular topic, or if the "historian" is a nationalist with an agenda, then you won't really be getting history.

Out of curiosity, where did you get this idea or Koreans claiming everything? I haven't really seen that. Honestly, IMO many people don't give Korea its due. I mean they arguably have the best script, and have many other achievements that aren't always recognized.
Many of the older posts on this forum, other historical forums and youtube videos. I've seen tons of video claiming Baekje colonized Japan and China, something like this....

https://coolsmurf.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/4ac9780a0a76709ebb4ac847a0b7754d.jpg?w=660

One of the more ludicrous claim by some Koreans was that the ancient Bulgar was a Korean tribe.

I have a lot of Korean friends and I respect their history especially the mighty Goguryeo (which China has no right claiming).

But it gets rather tiresome to hear all of their wild claims. I've had Korean friends back in university telling some Chinese students of Manchu and Xibe decent that they are really Koreans.

In order to preserve our friendship I've decided to totally avoid East Asian histories and just stick to my Southeast Asian ones.

Nov 2010
Cornwall
oh ok, so it has more to do with exposure to bad historians than the actual history itself. I can understand not wanting to bring it up with your friends.
There are one or two threads on here about why ancient and medieval sources can be inaccurate - for a number of reasons. The best that can be done is to read every source (historians not me!), retranslate to look for errors, hopefully from both 'sides' and try and get some common ground, or assess the whole lot impartially. This is the work a lot of historians have done in the last 100 years (as well as finding or translating new sources) and why history is a living subject.

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
@Merlion85 Intersting. God Tangun was mentioned several times. I learnt that Tangun /Dangun/ is legendary founder of first korean kingdom Gojoseon. As far as i know the primary chief deity of bulgars had been sky god - Tangra/Tenri/Tenger. Tengreism had been prevailing religion of the various turkic ppl, huns and mongols of Genghis Khan. Thanks for the link.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
In order to preserve our friendship I've decided to totally avoid East Asian histories and just stick to my Southeast Asian ones.
The attitude you describe has more to do with modern politics than ancient history.

And two things you should never discuss with friends and family are politics and religion.

Apr 2017
Singapore/Canada
The attitude you describe has more to do with modern politics than ancient history.

And two things you should never discuss with friends and family are politics and religion.
That's something I wholeheartedly agree, but these form of disputes seems to occur way way less if I'm discussing Western European, Southeast Asian histories.

On one end you see the likes Thai and Lao, although similar people both culturally and linguistically, rarely do you find Thai claiming Laos to be part of Thailand or vice versa.
On the other you have Koreans even going into Chinese mythologies and claiming Chi You (widely known as the ancestor of Hmong people) to be their ancestor and he actually defeated Yellow Emperor at the battle of Zhuolu.

Jun 2015
UK
I'm tempted to say Africa, since there were few written records, but we know from archaeology and oral history which pretty much matches archaeological findings in most cases.

Pre-Columbian North America is fairly sketchy, we don't know why Cahokia existed, nor were there much records of tribes in the medieval period here.

Apr 2017
Singapore/Canada
@Merlion85 Intersting. God Tangun was mentioned several times. I learnt that Tangun /Dangun/ is legendary founder of first korean kingdom Gojoseon. As far as i know the primary chief deity of bulgars had been sky god - Tangra/Tenri/Tenger. Tengreism had been prevailing religion of the various turkic ppl, huns and mongols of Genghis Khan. Thanks for the link.
Yes, Tengreism was the common religion of the Hunnic, Turkic and Mongolic people, if I'm not wrong the ancient Bulgars were a Turkic people yes?

Not an expert of Korean mythologies, that's not really history, my knowledge of Korean history started with Goguryeo, but by then they had already switched to Confucianism and Shamanism.

Similar History Discussions