Hitler and religion

Mar 2013
Escandinavia y Mesopotamia
According to Albert Speer, Hitler was a Catholic until his dying days....
Actually, Albert Speer confirmed that Adolf Hitler loved Islam and Muhammad:

Because Hitler stated about the Germans being Christians that "...it’s been our misfortune to have the wrong religion. Why didn’t we have the religion of the Japanese, who regard sacrifice for the Fatherland as the highest good? The Mohammedan religion too would have been much more compatible to us than Christianity. Why did it have to be Christianity with its meekness and flabbiness?"

Source: “Islamized Germans”

Taking into consideration that Muhammad was a warlord that massacred other people (non-Muslims) and even took sexslaves it is perhaps not quite surprising that Hitler admired Muhammad and his violence deeds more than Jesus's "soft"-attitude.

Hitler also loved the Turks and admired the famous Turco-Islamo-jihadistic genocide of the Armenians that perhaps inspired him to do Holocaust as he, before invading Poland, is quoted of saying: "Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?".

Dec 2015
USA
Whether Hitler himself believed in the Faith until his dying days is something that Hitler himself knew... What the world knows is that the Reich was 99% Christian and without the support of masses it could not have had the success it had.

It is true that the Church has excommunicated Communists.

Divini Redemptoris (March 19, 1937) | PIUS XI

Decree against Communism - Wikipedia

One reads some of the above and can not but feel for any Communist whom self identifies as a Christian. And the true teachings of the Church indeed welcomes diversity. Some Communists even say that Jesus was the first Communist whom preached mankind to all love each other and work together.

One might have thought the Church leadership would have been outright anti Reich during WW2, it was not. Hitler was never excommunicated from the Catholic Church while throughout WW2 the Church leaders kept up anti Communist viewpoints. It is one of the dark episodes of Catholic history wrt the Axis powers of WW2 of which the vast support was Christian. Many Priests, Bishops and Catholic leaders proudly stood by the Third Reich.

Jozef Tiso - Wikipedia

Independent State of Croatia - Wikipedia

Last edited:

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
According to Albert Speer, Hitler was a Catholic until his dying days.
In his memoirs, Speer wrote

"Amid his political associates in Berlin, Hitler made harsh pronouncements against the church", yet "he conceived of the church as an instrument that could be useful to him",

Goebels wrote that although Hitler was "a fierce opponent" of the Vatican and Christianity, "he forbids me to leave the church, for tactical reasons", a view also confirmed by Speer's comment on Hitler saying, "I'll have my reckoning with the church. I'll have it reeling on the ropes." According to Speer, Hitler used to say, "You see, it's been our misfortune to have the wrong religion. Why didn't we have the religion of the Japanese, who regard sacrifice for the fatherland as the highest good?"

Hitler's did not have faith in Catholicism and the Pope delivered an encyclical characterised by scholars as "first great official public document to dare to confront and criticize Nazism" and "one of the greatest such condemnations ever issued by the Vatican."

When Hitler said that he had the church on the ropes, he meant he had lots of catholic clergy in concentration camps. About 1/3rd of the priests were imprisoned. Of the 2,720 clerics recorded as imprisoned at Dachau some 2,579 were Catholic.

Dec 2015
USA
In his memoirs, Speer wrote

"Amid his political associates in Berlin, Hitler made harsh pronouncements against the church", yet "he conceived of the church as an instrument that could be useful to him",

Goebels wrote that although Hitler was "a fierce opponent" of the Vatican and Christianity, "he forbids me to leave the church, for tactical reasons", a view also confirmed by Speer's comment on Hitler saying, "I'll have my reckoning with the church. I'll have it reeling on the ropes." According to Speer, Hitler used to say, "You see, it's been our misfortune to have the wrong religion. Why didn't we have the religion of the Japanese, who regard sacrifice for the fatherland as the highest good?"

Hitler's did not have faith in Catholicism and the Pope delivered an encyclical characterised by scholars as "first great official public document to dare to confront and criticize Nazism" and "one of the greatest such condemnations ever issued by the Vatican."

When Hitler said that he had the church on the ropes, he meant he had lots of catholic clergy in concentration camps. About 1/3rd of the priests were imprisoned. Of the 2,720 clerics recorded as imprisoned at Dachau some 2,579 were Catholic.
In the same comment though, it was said that Speer said that Hitler remained a Catholic until his dying days. That comment appears to now have been deleted on the wiki page it used to lay.

All of that said, the glaring question is perhaps not of Hitlers faith, but why did so many Christians support the Reich. The Reich was 99 % Christian. How could a Catholic Priest in Father Tiso lead the Slovak Republic to support Hitler?

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
In the same comment though, it was said that Speer said that Hitler remained a Catholic until his dying days.
Yes, I made that clear in my post but put it in context whereas you presented it out of context. He did so, and required his ministers like Goebels, to remain in the church, "for tactical reasons' not religious reasons. You forget that I have seen your posts on other subjects and their tendentious use of selective quotes. I suggest you read William Shirers book about the third reich where there are several chapters on the Kirchenkampf. You won't like them but they are independent.

Dec 2015
USA
Yes, I made that clear in my post but put it in context whereas you presented it out of context. He did so, and required his ministers like Goebels, to remain in the church, "for tactical reasons' not religious reasons. You forget that I have seen your posts on other subjects and their tendentious use of selective quotes. I suggest you read William Shirers book about the third reich where there are several chapters on the Kirchenkampf. You won't like them but they are independent.
That is a misrepresentation of my position.

Above is a selective quote of my post as you have cut out a key part of my post. I have already provided the facts. Hitler had to work with a Reich that was 99% Christian that is key info that ties into this whole conversation. If you get personal again as you do above I will be ignoring you friend.

Mar 2013
Escandinavia y Mesopotamia
In the same comment though, it was said that Speer said that Hitler remained a Catholic until his dying days. That comment appears to now have been deleted on the wiki page it used to lay.
The full quote was this:

“Around 1937, when Hitler heard that at the instigation of the party and the SS vast numbers of his followers had left the church because it was obstinately opposing his plans, he nevertheless ordered his chief associates, above all Goering and Goebbels, to remain members of the church. He too would remain a member of the Catholic Church he said, although he had no real attachment to it. And in fact he remained in the church until his suicide.”

As mentioned earlier it was "for tactical reasons".

Albert Speer is not saying that Hitler remained a pious Christian as you do to smear Christians and Christianity.

We both know that historum have experienced cases where banned user(s), for example one loser with Islamic agenda, often have returned back and claimed new ethnicity and religion in order pursue and fail their agenda. For example, you have praised the Dhimmi-system and Devshirme-system and idiotically asserted that it was good for the Christians, and even played down the Genocide denial of the Turks against the Armenians for example. And now you try and fail so hard to prove that your “own religion” Catholic-Christianity was a religion that Hitler loved so much, but you still fail as authun and I easily can point out how you distort quotation.

We both know why you are doing it. :)

Dec 2015
USA
Adolf Hitler on God: Quotes Expressing Belief and Faith

of 19
Adolf Hitler: Going Where God Wills
I go the way that Providence dictates with the assurance of a sleepwalker.
- Adolf Hitler, Speech, March 15, 1936, Munich, Germany​
of 19
Adolf Hitler: May God Bless Us
May divine providence bless us with enough courage and enough determination to perceive within ourselves this holy German space.
- Adolf Hitler, Speech, March 24, 1933​
of 19
Adolf Hitler: When We Appear Before God...
We don't ask the Almighty, "Lord, make us free!" We want to be active, to work, to work together, so that when the hour comes that we appear before the Lord we can say to him: "Lord, you see that we have changed." The German people are no longer a people of dishonor and shame, of self-destructiveness and cowardice. No, Lord, the German people are once more strong in spirit, strong in determination, strong in the willingness to bear every sacrifice. Lord, now bless our battle and our freedom, and therefore our German people and Fatherland.
- Adolf Hitler, Prayer, May 1, 1933​
of 19
Adolf Hitler: Fighting for the Lord's Work
I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty Creator. By warding off the Jews, I am fighting for the Lord's work.
- Adolf Hitler, Speech, Reichstag, 1936​

Some Say Hitler Was an Atheist, But His Quotes Suggest Otherwise

Similar History Discussions