Hitler quotes on Napoleon?

Lee-Sensei

Ad Honorem
Aug 2012
Hitler payed respect to him while he was in France, despite the fact that he hated the French and he had a poor opinion of "Latins". But I've only ever seen one Hitler quote about him.

Where Napoleon failed, I shall succeed, I shall land on the shores of Britain.

Are there any others?

Sep 2014
FR
"Just when the difficulties of the eastern winter campaign in the East had reached their height, some imbecile pointed out that Napoleon, like ourselves, had started his Russian campaign on 22nd June. Thank God, I was able to counter that drive with the authoritative statement of historians of repute that Napoleon's campaign did not, in fact, begin until 23rd June!" :relieved:

Apr 2015
Orlando, Florida
OMG! Irving? Really? Wow...

Read Hitler's War by David Irving. There are some quotes on Napoleon.

Only if you want information that is based on opinion, pure fantasy, and revisionism, then Irving is your man. But if you want actual facts based on research and primary sources (real historiography) then stay as far away from that joke of a writer known as D. Irving. Trust me... However, for quotes regarding Napoleon try Ian Kershaw or Antony Beevor. Again, please stay away from Irving.
By the way, I do not think it relevant to the thread to go into detail concerning why David Irving is not credible as a writer or historian, however I would be more then happy to discuss the subject further in a different forum.

Jan 2013
Canberra, Australia
Only if you want information that is based on opinion, pure fantasy, and revisionism, then Irving is your man. But if you want actual facts based on research and primary sources (real historiography) then stay as far away from that joke of a writer known as D. Irving. Trust me... However, for quotes regarding Napoleon try Ian Kershaw or Antony Beevor. Again, please stay away from Irving.
I have recently read an article by the respected German leftist historian Hans Mommsen, "The Realisation of the Unthinkable: The 'Final Solution of the Jewish Question' in the Third Reich".

Mommsen's article contains several references to Irving's work "Hitler's War", some of them critical but others simply using that work as a source of historical information.

It is clear that Mommsen regarded Irving as a genuine historian, not as a "joke of a writer", even though he disagreed with him on some issues, in particular Hitler's knowledge of the massacre of the Jews.

An example of a critical comment by Mommsen on Irving's "Hitler's War" is his endnote 66, where he writes:

Irving's interpretation that, while Hitler explicitly supported and approved the deportation of the Jews 'to the East', he forbade liquidations and postponed a definitive solution until after the war, rests on an inaccurate assessment of Hitler's comments concerning genocide. These were all made in a 'futuristic' context, and present the aim of eliminating the European Jews, and indeed Jews all over the world, as a vision of the future. Unlike Himmler or Goebbels, Hitler never refers to it as a programme directly implemented and in its final stages. This is not inconsistent with greater radicality after Stalingrad as established by Broszat and connected with Hitler's attitude, which became increasingly visionary and unrealistic as he confined himself more and more to his bunker. Hitler was intoxicated with the 'idea' of annihilation, but he endeavoured to ignore the reality; here, at least, we must agree with Irving. It is typical that Hitler, who normally had statistical details at his fingertips, used pre-war figures for the proportion of Jews in the population in his conversation with Horthy.
It is obvious that Mommsen saw Irving, not as a "joke of a writer", but as a genuine historian, albeit one with whom he disagreed.

It is noteworthy that in the article Mommsen is also quite critical of a more mainstream historian, Christopher Browning, seeing him as misinterpreting historical data in certain cases, for example whether Hitler actually gave on order for the commencement of the mass-killing of Jews in the summer of 1941.

Finally, I have seen Irving's "Hitler's War" used as a source of data in more recent publications. It would appear that unbiased historians still see that work as a useful source of historical data, even though they reject Irving's thesis that Hitler was unaware of the massacre of the Jews until October 1943, when Himmler revealed it.

I give more credence to Mommsen's measured evaluation of Irving's work than to the intemperate blathering of someone posting anonymously on the internet.

Feb 2014
Kingdom of the Netherlands
Why do people feel the need to connect Napoleon with Hitler? The two have no similarities whatsoever.

Lee-Sensei

Ad Honorem
Aug 2012
Why do people feel the need to connect Napoleon with Hitler? The two have no similarities whatsoever.
1) They have some similarities.

2) It's not about connecting the two. I just wanted to see some quotes by Hitler about Napoleon. Hitler hated the French, but seemed to respect him.

Apr 2013
Spain
By the way, I do not think it relevant to the thread to go into detail concerning why David Irving is not credible as a writer or historian, however I would be more then happy to discuss the subject further in a different forum.
Oh no, the old nonsense about Irving!

Has you actually read Irving or just quoting others opinion on him? If you have, then you can compare his archival work to Sir Ian Kershaw and Antony Beevor and see who is really the master of primary research on Hitler.

No, I don't trust you. Sorry.