Hitler&Stalin pact against Europe

Sep 2019
Slovenia
The crimes against humanity of both totalitarian regime were coordinated

USSR continued to support Third Reich during the rest of year 1939 and in 1940. To help Nazi Germany to avoid allied embargo Soviets increased their trade with Germany and were even ready to buy in the west different materials for their partners. On the other hand Comintern was spreading propaganda how 'American capitalists' support UK and France with selling weapons to both states. Communists in the west were ordered to sabotage the war. Not just with their propaganda. For example French communist leaders ordered in December 1939 that war material should be destroyed and communists should find cunning ways to achieve this goal. On 20.11. 1939 Pravda made a long report about how war is sabotaged and opposed in the west giving examples from different countries but did write nothing about sabotages in Nazi Germany.

Yet things were going even deeper. We already showed how both sides agreed even before partition of Poland how they will repress Polish agitation in their occupation zones. Jews which were expelled from German occupation zone to Soviet zone were often sent back and Germans protested about this. Many Germans including Jews which were not supporters of Stalin were handed to SS by NKVD. Former German communist party member Margarete Buber-Neumann wrote a book about this titled Under two dictators. Her husband was killed in Stalin's purges and she was sent to Siberia. After NKVD turned her to SS she spent five years in Ravensbruck concentration camp.

We can understand now why Stalin wrote to Ribbentrop on 27.12.1939 that their friendship is sealed with blood. And indeed USSR used the pact with Nazi Germany again in November 1939 when Finnland was attacked by Red army. According to the pact it was in the Soviet sphere of influence. So called winter war was not going ok for Soviets. Finns were fighting with much courage, but in the end they had to surrender large areas of their country to communist aggressors ( in March 1940 ). England and France were planning to send soldiers to Finnland that they will help Finns. That would mean open war with USSR now not just with its ally Nazi germany. Third Reich helped the Soviets and treatened Sweden with invasion if they will allow allied intervention or transit of allied troops.

Hitler and Stalin Pact against Europe, written by Johann Wolfgang Brugel, published in Ljubljana, 2019, pages 125-148.

Last edited:
Sep 2019
Slovenia
Dear Kubis Gabcik as you can see i just wrote something also about winter war. I was not yet in Prague i admit but would like to go there once. Yet i have a colleague from Czech republic married with Slovene and she is an anti-communist too. We shared some interesting informations.

May 2019
Northern and Western hemispheres
I learned some new things here.Interesting to learn about the plans of the UK and France to help the Finns. Now I know why the Swedes stayed Neutral. The reasons for WWII in the European Theater are more complex than I had originally thought. I believe some of the strongest causes of the World Wars are conflicting interests, territorial disputes and treaties between European countries. Now that we have the European Union and NATO things have been better for the most part. (with a few exceptions).

Sep 2019
Slovenia
War in Scandinavia was portrayed by communists as being provoked by France and UK

After Winter war soon war in Scandinavia started. Germany already in April 1940 occupied completely neutral Denmark, war in Norway was a bit longer. Official Soviet newspapers ( Pravda, Izvestia )were writting that Germany had to intervene because allies were landing mines in Norwegian sea using basically the same excuse as the Third Reich. Molotov said to German ambassador literary that they 'wish all the success to Germany in its defensive moves'. Norwegian communists warned people and specially youth that they should give no resistance to Germans. Danish communists proclaimed after occupation that nobody should hope in liberation of their country with the help of allied troops. French communists used other propaganda tricks, claiming for example that German soldiers are 'fighting against Hitler' and on the same way French workers should fight against their government. Communists in occupied Czechia were attacking attempts by Czech pro-democracy politicians in exile because they were encouraging Czech to join allied armies. Communists were saying they are 'spreading hate against German workers'.

Hitler and Stalin Pact against Europe, written by Johann Wolfgang Brugel, published in Ljubljana, 2019, pages 148-178.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I learned some new things here.Interesting to learn about the plans of the UK and France to help the Finns. Now I know why the Swedes stayed Neutral. The reasons for WWII in the European Theater are more complex than I had originally thought. I believe some of the strongest causes of the World Wars are conflicting interests, territorial disputes and treaties between European countries. Now that we have the European Union and NATO things have been better for the most part. (with a few exceptions).
Sweden stayed neutral in part due to a fear of the Nazis invading them, no? I believe that Sweden did sell iron ore to Nazi Germany in spite of it being neutral, though--thus helping Nazi Germany's war effort.

Reactions: Kubis Gabcik
Feb 2019
Serbia
Sweden stayed neutral in part due to a fear of the Nazis invading them, no? I believe that Sweden did sell iron ore to Nazi Germany in spite of it being neutral, though--thus helping Nazi Germany's war effort.
Yes, and they did indeed sell a lot of iron ore to Germany. IIRC part of the reason for the invasion of Norway was that Germany wanted to prevent the Allies from disrupting the trade of iron ore. Also IIRC they sent a telegram after Operation Barbarossa started thanking Hitler for combating the ''Bolshevik threat'' or something like that. Though I could be wrong.

EDIT: I am wrong, the Swedish king Gustav tried to send a letter to Hitler thanking him for Barbarossa and to congratulate him on ''already achieved victories'' but was prevented from sending it.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Yes, and they did indeed sell a lot of iron ore to Germany. IIRC part of the reason for the invasion of Norway was that Germany wanted to prevent the Allies from disrupting the trade of iron ore. Also IIRC they sent a telegram after Operation Barbarossa started thanking Hitler for combating the ''Bolshevik threat'' or something like that. Though I could be wrong.

EDIT: I am wrong, the Swedish king Gustav tried to send a letter to Hitler thanking him for Barbarossa and to congratulate him on ''already achieved victories'' but was prevented from sending it.
Did other people in the Swedish government fear that such a letter to Hitler could ruin Sweden's relations with the USSR in the event that the USSR would have survived the Nazi onslaught?

Feb 2019
Serbia
Did other people in the Swedish government fear that such a letter to Hitler could ruin Sweden's relations with the USSR in the event that the USSR would have survived the Nazi onslaught?
I have no idea, I can speculate and say yes though I haven't been able to find in-depth information on the situation.

May 2019
Northern and Western hemispheres
From my understanding that's why the Swedes stayed neutral. The Portuguese were also netral as well.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
From my understanding that's why the Swedes stayed neutral. The Portuguese were also netral as well.
The Portuguese were luckier in the sense that the only country with whom they shared a land border with--specifically Spain--also remained neutral and unoccupied. In contrast, Sweden was right next door to Nazi-occupied Denmark and Norway as well as to Nazi ally Finland.

Reactions: Kubis Gabcik