Home Rule vs Dominion Status

annelouise17

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
Amerikay
Home Rule or Dominion Status; which would have been preferable for Ireland? Would Home Rule have been a "stepping stone" to independence for Ireland? If so, how long do you think if would have taken for Ireland to become your own nation?

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
How long did it take Canada Australia and New Zealand?

Would Ireland be a 32 county country not a 26 one?

Toltec

Ad Honorem
Apr 2008
Hyperborea
Ireland was part of the United Kingdom, Dominion would be a step downwards in status, home rule a step up.

Jan 2011
Planet Earth
Personally, although Home Rule would appear to have been the more preferable of the two options (as it involved the least amount of of violence, which I think we can all agree is bad), it wouldn't have worked out that way. In the boil up to Home Rule in 1914, both Nationalists and Unionists were stocking arms, so I think no matter which option was chosen, Home Rule or Dominion, civil war was inevitable, except a Home Rule civil war would have been far worse and far bloodier.
Also, if the war lasted for longer than a few years, which it almost certainly would, the Westminster government probably would have decided to scrap the whole thing, deciding Irish Home rule wasn't worth it, and impose direct rule again until all the issues were resolved. They did this during the Troubles, which wasn't really a war, so I see no reason why they wouldn't do it during an actual war.
So with Home Rule, rather than have 26 independent counties and 6 with devolved power, we would have 32 all still under direct rule (or if we were lucky, decades of talks would have resulted in 32 counties with devolved power but a horribly awkward power sharing government).

SirOrmondeWinter

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Yes I think it would have been, I think Ireland would have achieved full independence at the same time of the other dominions, especially during Britain's retreat from the empire post WW2. Of course the more independent the South would become the more it would draw away from Northern Ireland so that would be an added factor

annelouise17

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
Amerikay
Yes I think it would have been, I think Ireland would have achieved full independence at the same time of the other dominions, especially during Britain's retreat from the empire post WW2. Of course the more independent the South would become the more it would draw away from Northern Ireland so that would be an added factor
The other Dominions are still dominions.

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
The other Dominions are still dominions.
And how 'unfree' do you really think Australia, Canada and New Zealand are?

What nasty war did they have to go through? plus a civil war (which was even worse-- but we must not talk about that much more comfortable to blame the nasty Brits and Black and Tans etc) to follow.

annelouise17

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
Amerikay
And how 'unfree' do you really think Australia, Canada and New Zealand are?

What nasty war did they have to go through? plus a civil war (which was even worse-- but we must not talk about that much more comfortable to blame the nasty Brits and Black and Tans etc) to follow.
They are a million mile away, no threat to Britain, They didn't have a corrupt and bigoted administration ruling over them for five hundred years. And they're Britain's little darings who did nothing wrong and have little to no history to speak off. And excuss us for our nasty war, but we to fought a nasty war, and nasty civil war that makes Ireland's look tame. I mean we didn't have three hundred million people telling the Brits to leave like India, and we didn't have Facebook and tweetter, to bring down a government like Egypt. So don't judge what Ireland had to go through to getting her Republic, after all, Britain could have givien her what she wanted, but all they care about was their damn empire.

Last edited: