- May 2011
- New Iberia, La.
Guess which of these movie "facts" are accurate depictions of the legend of the Trojan War and "The Iliad". Answers soon.
1. Agamemnon has united Greece into a loose alliance except for Thessaly.
2. Achilles is a soldier in Agamemnon’s army. They dislike each other. He fights a duel with Thessaly’s champion.
3. Achilles main motivation was to be remembered.
4. Paris and Hector visit Menelaus to negotiate a treaty. Hector elopes with Helen.
5. Agamemnon uses the elopement as an excuse to destroy Troy and control the Aegean Sea.
6. Odysseus visits Achilles to recruit him
7. Achilles’ mom tells him he can live long and be forgotten or die a glorious death.
8. Briseis is a priestess of Apollo and cousin to Paris and Hector.
9. Hector wants Priam to send Helen back, but he refuses.
10. Achilles lands first. His men form a testudo. The Myrmidons force the Trojans to retreat. Achilles sacks the temple of Apollo. He confronts Hector, but lets him go so he can fight another day.
11. Achilles and Agamemnon argue over who gets credit for the victory.
12. Agamemnon takes Briseis away to show who is boss.
13. Paris ends a debate on what to do by proclaiming his desire to duel Menelaus.
14. Achilles sulks over the loss of Briseis and forbid his men to fight.
15. Menelaus and Paris duel between the armies. Menelaus easily wins, but Paris flees to Hector. Hector kills Menelaus. A big battle ensues with Trojan archers turning the tide.
16. Hector kills Ajax.
17. Agamemnon returns Briseis to Achilles. She and Achilles have sex. Achilles still refuses to return to the fighting.
18. The Trojans attack at night using fire balls.
19. Patroclus leads a counterattack disguised as Achilles. Hector kills him thinking he is Achilles.
20. Achilles duels Hector after calling him out. Hector asks for a proper burial, but Achilles sneers at his request. Achilles stabs Hector in the shoulder and finishes him with his sword. He then drags the body back to the Greek camp.
21. Priam visits Achilles to beg for his son’s body.
22. Odysseus builds the Trojan Horse from ship timbers.
23. Paris wants to burn the horse, but Priam decides to bring it into the city.
24. Odysseus and Achilles are in the horse. They kill the sentries to let the Greek army in.
25. Paris gives the Sword of Troy to the young Aeneas.
26. Andromache and Helen escape.
27. Agamemnon kills Priam by stabbing him from behind.
28. Achilles works his way to Briseis. Briseis kills Agamemnon.
29. Paris shoots Achilles in the ankle and then several other places.
30. Paris and Briseis escape.
31. The war lasts 17 days.