Homosexuality.

Apr 2017
Sioux City, IA
This might be an interesting topic. For those of you who think that homosexuality was approved of in Ancient Greece, have a look at a Youtube video. Go to Youtube and type in "Homosexuality in Ancient Greece - the Myth is Collapsing". You might find it interesting.

Apr 2017
Sioux City, IA
Well, watch the report before flapping your lips. The fact is, the Greek term for homosexuality translates roughly as "shame-bringers". According to Athenian law, anyone who practiced it was denied all access to holding offices of responsibility in the State. Interestingly, Plato, in his ideal state, would have forbade sex except to procreate. And the very few vases which display homosexual behaviour (less than 0.02%) show it among Satyrs, who were noted for immorality.

Sappho, who started a school for women of Lesbos, was a wife and mother. And she threw herself into the sea in remorse that her husband left her.

Those who were especially considered disgraceful were the men who received it, as they were deemed to be taking the role of a woman.

Ultimately, as the video points out, those who claim that Ancient Greece normalised homosexuality were and are invariably homosexual themselves. Sounds rather partisan to me.

Of course, homosexuality does exist in Greece, as it did and does everywhere. But it was not considered normal. In fact, the only reason it was removed from the DSM of mental illnesses in the USA is because in 1973, while revision to the book was being discussed, a group of militant homosexuals raided the conference, commandeered the mic, and started shouting about declaring a war on psychiatry, and became somewhat violent.

I find it entertaining, in a sick way, that if your brain cycles quickly between happy and sad, you are mentally ill, but if you want to chop off your man-parts and call yourself a woman (even though you cannot menstruate, be pregnant, give birth, or breastfeed), you are considered nomal.

If you can prove the video categorically wrong, I invite you to do so. Otherwise, shut your pie-hole.

Apr 2015
Italy
if found the video on youtube but i was immediately distracted by other videos like "we've never been on the moon because there's an alien base on the dark side" "mothman exists here's the proof" and "the reptilians are leading the world". since youtube is apparently a reliable source of information i must assume they're all true.

Apr 2015
Italy
Again: prove me wrong. The video cites sources for its claims.
the fact is that you should prove you're right, you're the one pretending to have evidences, show us your evidences ( no, the video is not an evidence )
let's start from the beginning: you make a statement, that the word that greeks used for homosexuals was transalted as shame-bringer. What word is this. Can you provide any ancient source where it was used?
i can't find no possible source for this information, therefore i ask you to provide one ( no the video is not a source ) otherwise i would be allowed to think the man who made the video pullet that right from his ass.

Similar History Discussions