Hong Kong protests thread

Status
Closed
Jul 2019
New Jersey
The entire nation profoundly changed in the last 40 years of economic reforms, why do you think it will not continue to change until 2047?
Because free enterprise cannot truly flourish where people are slaves. As long as the CCP is in charge, there's a limit to how dynamic and entrepeneurial its economy can be. And they would rather slaughter their people wholesale than give up political power.

Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Of course it will change - just not for the better. If China is so great, why did your family move to Portugal?
No country is great...maybe unless you are talking about Welfare State Scandinavian countries (IMHO)...and people have different reasons to why they migrate to other countries.

Aug 2009
Londinium
But Shanghai and Shenzhen can achieve all of that by 2047, don't you think so?
Only if the PRC includes HK, with HK firing on all cylinders. Markets don't like change or even rumors of change. If HK comes under direct rule of Beijing - especially in the current manner, within the current context - then capital and knowledge will leave HK en masse.

Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Because free enterprise cannot truly flourish where people are slaves. As long as the CCP is in charge, there's a limit to how dynamic and entrepeneurial its economy can be.
With that opinion of yours, I can interpret it as that you are supporting unrestrained capitalism - which is something I completely disapprove off.

And they would rather slaughter their people wholesale than give up political power.
We're not living during Mao's time anymore.

Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Only if the PRC includes HK, with HK firing on all cylinders. Markets don't like change or even rumors of change. If HK comes under direct rule of Beijing - especially in the current manner, within the current context - then capital and knowledge will leave HK en masse.
And that will be a short-time loss for China and a long-term loss for the city of Hong Kong, that's why the situation is very complicated. And where do you think that capital and knowledge will go to? The capital will stay in China, I think.

Jul 2019
New Jersey
With that opinion of yours, I can interpret it as that you are supporting unrestrained capitalism - which is something I completely disapprove off.
Not me. The banks. It doesn't matter what I want, it's the banks and the ambitious young people who will leave en masse when China takes over.

We're not living during Mao's time anymore.
That's why the Uyghurs and Falun Gong are being harvested for organs, right? The CCP is just as evil as they were back then, they're just trying to fool the west.

Aug 2009
Londinium
And that will be a short-time loss for China and a long-term loss for the city of Hong Kong, that's why the situation is very complicated. And where do you think that capital and knowledge will go to? The capital will stay in China, I think.
Right...but with HK still part of PRC then China would loose both short and long term, going by your assessment above?

Not too far of a stretch that most other SE Asian cities would roll out the red carpet for such potential income, tax breaks and re-location packages for staff (no income tax etc) would be step 1 as Dubai already proved possible, as well as Singapore with removing many corporation taxes back in the 80's (IIRC).

Singapore would be the safe bet. KL. Seoul, Tokyo, Sydney or even Manila or perhaps as far west as India or Dubai would likely be more than happy to accept all that capital, knowledge and experience. I know London would!!!

Jan 2011
There is lots of talk in this thread of the government in Beijing responding to the pro-democracy protests in HK by, effectively, laying siege to the city by cutting off infrastructure (water, elec and gas) and restricting food supplies. IIRC, siege warfare against a civilian population is illegal in international war and could even be considered a crime against humanity.
Ukraine has cut water and I think electricity to Crimea... No one seems to care......

Food supplies would not be an issue, HK being a large port

Jan 2011
Because free enterprise cannot truly flourish where people are slaves. As long as the CCP is in charge, there's a limit to how dynamic and entrepeneurial its economy can be. And they would rather slaughter their people wholesale than give up political power.
well, there are no slaves in China...... but "free entreprise" actually loves slaves... cheap labor and passive customer is great for large companies

Status
Closed