Hong Kong protests thread

Status
Closed
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
A part that I'm still waiting for a clear answer by Robto about where he lives ...

Let's keep the historical perspective. Don't fall into a political discussion or I [or an other moderator] will have to take action.

Aug 2009
Londinium
Ukraine has cut water and I think electricity to Crimea... No one seems to care......

Food supplies would not be an issue, HK being a large port
Not disagreeing with any other examples of siege's used for civilian control. Just stating it's highly illegal and would justify sanctions, international criminal proceedings etc.

I assume the PRC navy would blockade the sea ports, and possibly sea-lanes surrounding HK - speaking of which, this alone would cause huge pressure on Beijing from....well, everyone!

Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
Not only the CCP, but IMHO, Mainland people in general also don't quite understand of what kind of society Hong Kong is as well. I live in the Mainland and go to Hong Kong ever year, and the gap and lack of understanding between the two societies is too wide, in my opinion.

Some mainland people that I know don't really get that Hong Kong society is very liberal and their citizens have individual civil rights that are guaranteed and very much appreciated by them.
Once you get those kind of rights, you wouldn't want to have them revoked, obviously.

Hong Kong is a very affluent society, the most affluent in all of China. Their income per capita and human development is comparable to a Scandinavian country - Hong Kong people don't focus too much on economic development or social harmony since they already achieved that long time ago, so they can afford the time to think about abstract democratic rights and their small territory and small population makes democratization being implemented easier than on a bigger geographical area such as mainland China.
Hong Kong society was also massively influenced by British values and they are inculcated in their political institutions, which makes them apart from mainland China as well.

Hong Kong people also don't understand that, whether they like it or not, they will always have a strong connection with the rest of China. They have to understand that the mainland is not a dystopian communist hell-hole like they still think it is. Mainland China is not a prison and the country is developing fast and catching up with Hong Kong living standards.
Hong Kong is no longer the only economically vibrant center and getaway point in China and they are currently losing their international position since cities like Shenzhen, Shanghai and Guangzhou are taking its place, and Hong Kong needs to understand that.

Hong Kong will always be attached to China. Where do you think Hong Kong will receive its water and food supplies from? Hong Kong is just a port - a point where investment and merchandise enter in order to go to CHINA. That's the entire point of why Hong Kong exist in the first place.
Quite a strange statement from an liberal leftist. Or is it the old fascination of the liberal about authority?

Sep 2012
Taiwan
  • f0ma

f0ma

Airport protesters not doing themselves any favours after capturing and beating a mainland journalist/spy/shady person, then trying to prevent paramedics from extricating him. Similar attacks on police officers too today. Understandable, given the circumstances, but difficult to condone. Looks like tensions are only going to escalate if the protest continues to become violent.

Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Not me. The banks. It doesn't matter what I want, it's the banks and the ambitious young people who will leave en masse when China takes over.
Oh ok, that's very likely to happen in the worst case scenario

That's why the Uyghurs and Falun Gong are being harvested for organs, right? The CCP is just as evil as they were back then, they're just trying to fool the west.
No, that's not my point. Millions of people in China are not being starved to death; other millions are not being killed by fanatical students; and more than 80% of the population is not living under the poverty line, that's what I meant by saying that China doesn't live in Mao's time anymore.

You can pinpoint all the real, and fake, human rights abuses done by the authoritarian communist regime in China, but the point is, China has lifted 800 million people out of poverty, it created the biggest middle class population in the world, and under its rule, we are witnessing to one of the most economic miracles we ever saw since the Industrial Revolution - and that's what the Chinese public in general knows and are thankful for it. That's it.

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Right...but with HK still part of PRC then China would loose both short and long term, going by your assessment above?

Not too far of a stretch that most other SE Asian cities would roll out the red carpet for such potential income, tax breaks and re-location packages for staff (no income tax etc) would be step 1 as Dubai already proved possible, as well as Singapore with removing many corporation taxes back in the 80's (IIRC).

Singapore would be the safe bet. KL. Seoul, Tokyo, Sydney or even Manila or perhaps as far west as India or Dubai would likely be more than happy to accept all that capital, knowledge and experience. I know London would!!!
I don't think that S. Korea or Japan would want to accept hundreds of thousands of Chinese all at once...
Besides, China would only lose it in the short-term....if the economic development of China continues for another 30 years or so, with or without Hong Kong, they would still be an economic juggernaut.

Status
Closed