Hong Kong protests thread

Status
Closed

holoow

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
I'll grant you that things aren't as bad as they were in Mao's time. Nonetheless, the political repression in the PRC is bad enough as to stifle the people of Hong Kong, who are used to having rights in the Anglo-American tradition. Hong Kong's resource is it's people, and those people will leave when the PRC rolls in.
US once supported Khmer Rouge or Duvalier's Haiti. These regimes were among the most repressive in human history.

Aug 2009
Londinium
I don't think that S. Korea or Japan would want to accept hundreds of thousands of Chinese all at once...
Besides, China would only lose it in the short-term....if the economic development of China continues for another 30 years or so, with or without Hong Kong, they would still be an economic juggernaut.
*IF*

30 years! Do you think the continued growth is possible for 30ish years!!?? A short term loss could well start a snowball effect of capital flight or be nipped in the bud, who knows, but 30 years is a very long time for economic predictions and not a safe bet for safeguarding an economy.

In the event of a widespread exodus of HK'ers, they aren't all going to turn up in one city all at once, this is into red herring territory now.

Jul 2019
New Jersey
US once supported Khmer Rouge or Duvalier's Haiti. These regimes were among the most repressive in human history.
How is that in any way relevant to my post? I said that Hong Kongers have rights in the Anglo-American tradition (common law, habeas corpus, freedom of speech, ordered liberty etc), not that the US has consistently championed these principles abroad.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Any latest responses from Russia?

Zelensky representative claims Ukraine has right to close water channel to Crimea | KyivPost - Ukraine's Global Voice

As far I know Israel also regularly cuts water and electricity supplies to Gaza

Israel cuts fresh water supplies to Gaza

Then there is the blockade imposed on Qatar

2017–19 Qatar diplomatic crisis - Wikipedia

Nearly 80 percent of Qatar's food requirements come from Persian Gulf Arab neighbors, with only 1 percent being produced domestically and even imports from outside the Gulf states usually crossing the now closed land border with Saudi Arabia.

And Spain blockaded Gibraltar a while back....

Nov 2016
Germany
How is that in any way relevant to my post? I said that Hong Kongers have rights in the Anglo-American tradition (common law, habeas corpus, freedom of speech, ordered liberty etc), not that the US has consistently championed these principles abroad.
Right, one should look at these things in a differentiated way, otherwise one gets into a dead end similar to those people who think democracy is a bad system just because it can be manipulated by the influence of economic interest groups. In the USA, the problem is compounded by the fact that the CIA often pursued goals with means outside of legality and human rights, as in the case of the Khmer Rouge and Haiti. This has led to the suspicion that this organization (plus the military-industrial complex) forms a "Deep State", a state within a state.

The “Deep State”: A Problem that the CIA Helped to Create - Leiden Safety and Security Blog

List of CIA controversies - Wikipedia

A Timeline of CIA Atrocities

CNBC correspondent Chery Kang in Hong Kong:

Last edited:
Nov 2016
Germany
Can everyone stop talking about current events, such as post 135 and leave the Deep State chat to another thread.

This is for HK protests only!!!!
Sorry, I didn't want to start an OT topic, I just wanted to clarify this one point. But there is a thematic connection with the Hong Kong protests in so far as the Chinese leadership tries to present the protests as steered by the CIA, which is most likely propagandistic nonsense.

One example:

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/c...olent-hong-kong-protests-20190726-p52b1x.html

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Unfortunately [for the posters] if someone is going to bring CIA in this discussion [or NSA, come on, how can you dare to ignore The Agency !?!] or other conspiring groups [less or more secret] I will consider this a discussion about speculative history and since there is nothing rational about a speculative discussion about a current event ... the moderating team will consider the possibility to close this thread.

So ... be careful.

Mar 2012
The idea that the HK protest is an independence movement is the stance both PRC and the west tries to portray. For the former, it helps the government gain the support of the Chinese masses and maybe crush the protest if it ever came to that. For the later, its the typical attempt at portraying China as repressive and fragile, ready to break apart. The same type of narrative is going on with places like Xinjiang and Tibet, most protests have nothing to do with an independence movement; a few extremists do not represent the entire population.

Status
Closed