Hong Kong would prefer to be under British Imperial rule.

Status
Closed

Earl_of_Rochester

Ad Honoris
Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
20 years after the Brits left in 1997 some people in Hong Kong still want to remain under British rule.

Anti-Beijing protesters rally outside British Consulate-General, urging UK to take back Hong Kong | South China Morning Post

China's Xi sees 'challenges' in Hong Kong as Beijing dismisses any UK role | Reuters

Hong Kong democracy campaigners demand return to British rule as first step to independence from China

Oh dear, I wonder what the PC/lefty types have to say about that?

Maybe imperialism does have its benefits and in some cases it wasn't actually that bad?

Reactions: Belgarion
Jun 2017
USA
Places like Hong Kong and Puerto Rico have/had the best of both worlds in many ways and get a lot of money and privileges they would not get being independent like puerto ricans being able to move to US with no restrictions, though personally I would rather have full independence.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Living under British rule would have been better instead of living with lots of restrictions under communism.

YouLoveMeYouKnowIt

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Canada
It seems like a minority though, no evidence to suggest the majority. Thus your topic title is grossly misleading. Even some polls that only take in a small sample size could be warped.

YouLoveMeYouKnowIt

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Canada
Living under British rule would have been better instead of living with lots of restrictions under communism.
How do you know? Did you live in Hong Kong under both times? What restrictions was placed on Hong Kong that makes it worse than when under Britain? Hong Kong still ranks top in freedom and business. What communist restrictions are you talking about?

The youth of Hong Kong feel slighted so they took to the streets, even though they are still among the most free people of the world. It almost seems like when people say they want to be part of Britain, they are only saying it to be anti-CCP and to make a statement, not that they actually want a return of Britain, which has always denied Hong Kong democracy and viewed it's people as social inferiors. When kids wave their British flags, they are doing it to support democracy and be anti-Communist. There is no reason to think they actually want the UK to lord over them again.

@EoR taking some Internet articles and saying Hong Kong wants to be under UK is just engaging in confirmation bias. If I find a picture of Hong Kong was waving the Chinese flag, I can say Hong Kong wants to be part of China.

Earl_of_Rochester

Ad Honoris
Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
How do you know? Did you live in Hong Kong under both times? What restrictions was placed on Hong Kong that makes it worse than when under Britain? Hong Kong still ranks top in freedom and business. What communist restrictions are you talking about?

The youth of Hong Kong feel slighted so they took to the streets, even though they are still among the most free people of the world. It almost seems like when people say they want to be part of Britain, they are only saying it to be anti-CCP and to make a statement, not that they actually want a return of Britain, which has always denied Hong Kong democracy and viewed it's people as social inferiors. When kids wave their British flags, they are doing it to support democracy and be anti-Communist. There is no reason to think they actually want the UK to lord over them again.

@EoR taking some Internet articles and saying Hong Kong wants to be under UK is just engaging in confirmation bias. If I find a picture of Hong Kong was waving the Chinese flag, I can say Hong Kong wants to be part of China.
How else does one conduct a debate online but with sources?

YouLoveMeYouKnowIt

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Canada
How else does one conduct a debate online but with sources?
No problem with posting online sources at all. But you also have to question your sources, and see whether your source fully or only partially support your views. Yes, you can use online sources to demonstrate there are people who might want to be part of Britain. But your sources do not serve to demonstrate that Hong Kong wants to be part of Britain. I don't see it. If I post a link showing a bunch of reds, will you buy it that Hong Kong wants to be Chinese?

There are many who wave flags in support of China, but the Western media do not cover them or never place them in headlines.

YouLoveMeYouKnowIt

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Canada
The UK never should have handed it over to communist China
More freedom, richer, higher GDP per cap beating Britain now. More importantly by being connected with developed Chinese cities like Macau and Shenzhen, Hong Kong will have better economic prospect instead of remaining a one trick pony economy. It has no manufacturing or tech industry to speak of, it cannot compete in the long run unless it works with China. Can't see the logical case for remaining part of Britain here.

Last edited:

Lord Fairfax

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Changing trains at Terrapin Station...
More freedom, richer, higher GDP per cap beating Britain now. More importantly by being connected with developed Chinese cities like Macau and Shenzhen, Hong Kong will have better economic prospect instead of remaining a one trick pony economy. It has no manufacturing or tech industry to speak of, it cannot compete in the long run unless it works with China. Can't see the logical case for remaining part of Britain here.
I didn't say that it should remain part of Britain, merely that it shouldn't be handed off to Communist China without a popular mandate

Status
Closed