Hong Kong would prefer to be under British Imperial rule.

Status
Closed
Jun 2015
UK
Britain today is a basket case and lacks the economic power of China today.
with the 5th biggest GDP in the world, higher living standards than China may ever experience (14th GDP per capita/UN HDI), many global firms, leading place in many global industries (pharma, entertainment, ICT, education), top ten most digitally able country globally, and top ten highest average salaries.

And better than other big developed economies in these metrics too (such as France, Germany, Italy, even the US on some measures). Not bad for a basket case....

China just has a large economy, and its only globally big firms are state-backed. BP and Shell still have bigger scope than Sinopec does. Sinopec is only big due to Chinese oil deposits, or Chinese oil projects in Africa or the South China Sea and such.

Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
That's because the Chinese started clamping down on Hong Kongian democracy. China should hand it back to Britain.
This is an incorrect statement.

It is one thing to ask China to grant HK democracy but quite another to insinuate HK was somehow a democracy and China is taking it away is another.
This is quite true--I mentioned in post#74 that there was no real representative democracy implemented in HK before the handover mainly because it impractical before the 1970s and China wouldn't permit it after that. The faux democracy based on functional constituencies and complex electoral boards was the best that HK could get away with with China going totally ape.

Oct 2013
Canada
with the 5th biggest GDP in the world, higher living standards than China may ever experience (14th GDP per capita/UN HDI), many global firms, leading place in many global industries (pharma, entertainment, ICT, education), top ten most digitally able country globally, and top ten highest average salaries.

And better than other big developed economies in these metrics too (such as France, Germany, Italy, even the US on some measures). Not bad for a basket case....

China just has a large economy, and its only globally big firms are state-backed. BP and Shell still have bigger scope than Sinopec does. Sinopec is only big due to Chinese oil deposits, or Chinese oil projects in Africa or the South China Sea and such.
Hong Kong may not be a basket case, that's an exaggeration of some of the issues it has, but it's status is owing to be a part of China.

While China's largest companies are indeed state-owned, innovative private companies are coming into the picture. Tencent and Alibaba are both privately owned.

Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
Ahem.

In pictures: HK protesters storm parliament

1562016309001.png

1562016331750.png

"Once they entered the chamber, the Hong Kong emblem was spray painted black and a colonial Hong Kong flag was placed on the seat of the legislature's president. "

This is absolutely hilarious. The lefty PC brigade don''t know what to do - how on earth could former colonials want to become part of the British Empire again? It goes against everything the Western Education system has taught for the last few decades. :lol:

A lot of news agencies seem to be ignoring it, it's not front page news and some mention 'flag' in the headline instead of 'colonial flag'.

Oct 2013
Canada
It shows their defiance to the CCP and wish for autonomy or independence, not wanting to return to Empire. And for those who actually want there, there's like a few who actually want to return to Britain.

A lot of front page just also seem to ignore the countless counter protestors and violent, almost ape-like anti-Beijing protestors.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
It shows their defiance to the CCP and wish for autonomy or independence, not wanting to return to Empire. And for those who actually want there, there's like a few who actually want to return to Britain.

A lot of front page just also seem to ignore the countless counter protestors and violent, almost ape-like anti-Beijing protestors.
I know about the common usage; then, we should not forget that Homo sapiens are great apes as well.

May 2017
China
This is absolutely hilarious. The lefty PC brigade don''t know what to do - how on earth could former colonials want to become part of the British Empire again? It goes against everything the Western Education system has taught for the last few decades. :lol:

A lot of news agencies seem to be ignoring it, it's not front page news and some mention 'flag' in the headline instead of 'colonial flag'.
noooo, i have seen all this cantonese kids comment online, they want independence not being part of british again or being part of mainland china.

they want to preserve their so called cantonese language, cantonese culture, cantonese way of living, etc etc.

the solely reason they waving colonial flag is to express their bitterness because they know china will swallowing them alive soon or later, just like butthurt little kids who ask stuff from his father but his father denied to buy for him and then to express their bitterness they say "you are not my father anymore" "i am going to hurt myself if you dont buy it for me"

May 2017
China

so true, i have seen so many this cantonese butthurt kiddo around internet, they want not to return to britain or being part of mainland china, they want total and complete independence from both china and britain, they want to preserve their so called cantonese language, cantonese culture, cantonese way of living, etc.

so called democracy or freedom of speech only reasons to archieve their goal for independence, so they have reason to against mainland china.

May 2017
China
That is so true. Before the Basic Law, I can't remember the number of people who would say "We are Chinese. In '97 we go back China. Gwai Loh must push off". (polite version)
Then the deal was done and the same people would say "We British. Always British. We want passport. Always Loyal. HK only work if Gwai Loh stay".
As a single bloke it was embarrassing how all the Chinese girls threw themselves at you with the aim of getting a passport, if not through marriage, then through injection. When the Foreign Office let everyone down and came up with the joke "BnO" passport the Canadians, the Aussies--even the Coco Islanders got the attention.

Ahh! Those were the days.
it is not "chinese" girls, it is cantonese girl from hong kong. stop brand everything as "chinese"

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions