Hong Kong would prefer to be under British Imperial rule.

Status
Closed
May 2017
China
So the Cantonese are not Chinese?
Hong Kong is not China?

So what’s all the fuss about?. If they ain’t Chinese.... why is China trying to control them?
If they ain’t Chinese China should just leave them be and let them pick and say what they want to?

oh my godness, should we even debate about this?

i just trying to be specific, alright? no all chinese like that, majority only cantonese.

and when i ever say that cantonese are not chinese? cantonese are sub-group of han chinese, i never say cantonese are not chinese, it just like say spanish or italian are not white, this is very stupid.

china controlling who? you speak just like china colonizing hong kong, when in reality hong kong are colonized by britain, after britain stolen hong kong from china.

so we should let everybody want independence just go away just like that? why dont tell spanish to let catalonia go first? double standard? you western evil love to meddling chinese territory and affair but don't want us to bother about your, it is hypocrisy.

May 2017
China
That's assuming that China would be free and modern enough to respect the high and noble ideal of Self Determination (Taiwan). How ironic that Britain gave all her colonies back and allowed them independence, yet many modern states ignore the idea and instead want to impose their own national interests upon others. Argentina has the same view with regards to the Falklands and Spain has the same view with regards to Gibraltar.

The Western and American led policy of the 20th C stems from Wilson's Treaty of Versailles to respect the Self Determination of a country's people (provided it's a free and Democratic choice). If they want to identify as Cantonese/British/Chinese/Independent then that's the business of those people and no-one else's.

The giant elephant in the room is that the West completely ignored that situation with Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya and demanded that they be Democratic when in reality they may not have wanted Western liberal ideals at all. You will be free even if we have to kill you for it!
yeah why dont spanish respect self determination of catalonia first? double standard? i smell hypocrisy in here. britain still hold malvinas island (falkland) in their hand and also gilbratar.

for once more i am telling all of you in here, hong kong was chinese territory that stolen by britain, and hong kong are chinese territory now, it is chinese bussiness want to let this hong kong free or not, not white people bussiness.

you won't be happy if we chinese meddling your western countries affairs, why you love bothering chinese affairs? insecure so much? afraid china stable and become superpower? that scare all of you western people, right?

May 2017
China
I see the 50c mob are working overtime in their attempts to deny what is plain to the entire world.
yeah right, every chinese that want live in peaceful china and dont want western people bothering it or turn it into chaotic country like hundred years ago must be 50 cent army payed by ccp to defend ccp, right?

every chinese that dont want china and chinese humiliated again by western devil must be 50 cent army troll paid by ccp, every chinese that dont want to be called 50 cent army must stop defending themself and let western people humiliated us, killed us, mocked us, and exterminated us until all of us chinese extinct, right?

what i do right now are trying to defend our kin from people who have ill will to us, it is natural, normal and living people will defend themself from a threat, only dead people that will not defend itself and its kin.

you are the one that deny what is plain and simple to the entire world that hong kong was and are chinese territory and hong kong have 0% chance for independence, even uyghur muslim in xinjiang and tibetan in tibet have 0% chance for independence, what make you think hong kong can independence?

Oct 2013
Canada
Hong Kong. 7 million people.
That puts it at being about 30x the size of Lichtenstein .... which is smaller and survives.

It’s also bigger than Jamaica.

Though I agree Chinese pride will never let it go.
Chinese pride?

I'll tell you what is pride - being totally dependent on the mainland for mere substance, water, and business and think you are independent

Hong Kong lives and does business because it's an umbilical cord tied to China

May 2017
China
Hong Kong. 7 million people.
That puts it at being about 30x the size of Lichtenstein .... which is smaller and survives.

It’s also bigger than Jamaica.

Though I agree Chinese pride will never let it go.
that number will not change any fact that hong kong have 0% chance for independence. what make you think ccp will just sit down and do nothing?

son, this is not about chinese pride or not, this is about china's national security. if hong kong become independence, it will become domino effect to the rest of mainland chinese region ; tibet, xinjiang, inner mongolia, former manchuria, all other ethnic minorities region, will ask for independence, and that will be the dead for china. ccp will stop this, ccp will never let hong kong go no matter what.

May 2017
China
The Hongkongers clearly want to live in a free and open society, based on the rule of law and representative democracy.

It's the Chinese People's Republic's great loss that it doesn't understand these things. It's why real democracies need to oppose it.

But thinking the Hongkongers just generally want the British Empire back would mean – as Simon Schama once put it – looking at the "wrong empire". They want to maintain the rights and opportunities of a free and open society. And mainland China at this point really is not – worse, it's heading in the opposite direction.

ahh you swedish troll again. it is you that dont understand this thing. those cantonese in hong kong want total and complete independence from mainland china, not just demanding democracy and freedom of speech, those democracy and freedom of speech just reasons for them to start complete separation movement from mainland china.

if hong kong independence, it will become domino effect to the rest of chinese region and it will be the dead of china, we will not let this happen, if china turn into chaos, i and the rest of chinese that will suffer. you white devil want us chinese to suffer? is that what you wishes?

May 2017
China
China hasn't been communist for decades. Modern China is best described as "fascist".
better fascist that love our kin than liberal western countries who do mass ethnic suicide attempt by importing millions of latinos, muslims, and blacks to their own countries. at least ccp and i as ordinary chinese people still sane, china still 91% han chinese.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions