Hong Kong would prefer to be under British Imperial rule.

Status
Closed

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
The UK never should have handed it over to communist China
We had no choice. We had a contract with China on the lease of land so we're legally obliged to hand it back. China wanted it as it was a wealthy and successful powerhouse. So diplomatically there was nothing.
And 40 odd years of army and navy cuts have meant a military solution would have been impossible.

So if we had refused China would have rolled in with its army and Navy and what ever meagre resistance would have been quashed.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
As to the OP. Of course.

After 100 years of British manners, rights, freedoms and customs who'd like living under the harsh restrictions of China. Mandarin is already forcing out Cantonese in schools (oddly not English though) and growing up being able to speak your mind and have a vote. To not being able to ..... you would yearn for the freedom you used to have.

YouLoveMeYouKnowIt

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Canada
As to the OP. Of course.

After 100 years of British manners, rights, freedoms and customs who'd like living under the harsh restrictions of China. Mandarin is already forcing out Cantonese in schools (oddly not English though) and growing up being able to speak your mind and have a vote. To not being able to ..... you would yearn for the freedom you used to have.
What vote? Hong Kong had no vote under Britain.

This is not speaking your mind? I must've missed where the PLA rolled in and shot these protesters for speaking their mind.

And here we see a protest involving the highly popular Joshua Wong, the voice of dissent in Hong Kong. It doesn't look too good for anti-China/pro-independence/pro-Britain groups when there are as many journalists as there are protesters. This demonstrates the rather tiny minority status of these elements. There's like 100 views for these videos and that's pathetic for a so-called pro-colonial movement. But more importantly the very fact there are people protesting in favour of Britain, in favour of independence, or against China is a disservice to your post. You can't claim Hong Kongers cannot speak their mind when they're protesting while Xi Jinping was in the city watching a military parade and celebrating the 20th Anniversary.

Last edited:

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
Only the New Territories were leased. Hong Kong was ceded to the British in perpetuity.
The treaty means nothing after the 1984 Sino-British Joint Declaration; this point is moot.
Many treaties have been voided historically.

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
The treaty means nothing after the 1984 Sino-British Joint Declaration; this point is moot.
Many treaties have been voided historically.
It does not matter. Britain was not obligated to turn Hong Kong over to the Chinese under any circumstances. The New Territories are a different matter.

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Australia
How do you know? Did you live in Hong Kong under both times? What restrictions was placed on Hong Kong that makes it worse than when under Britain? Hong Kong still ranks top in freedom and business. What communist restrictions are you talking about?

The youth of Hong Kong feel slighted so they took to the streets, even though they are still among the most free people of the world. It almost seems like when people say they want to be part of Britain, they are only saying it to be anti-CCP and to make a statement, not that they actually want a return of Britain, which has always denied Hong Kong democracy and viewed it's people as social inferiors. When kids wave their British flags, they are doing it to support democracy and be anti-Communist. There is no reason to think they actually want the UK to lord over them again.

@EoR taking some Internet articles and saying Hong Kong wants to be under UK is just engaging in confirmation bias. If I find a picture of Hong Kong was waving the Chinese flag, I can say Hong Kong wants to be part of China.

You are ill-informed in the extreme if you think Hong Kong is just as free under Chinese rule (or even close). So some basic research before spouting your mouth, it would be tiresome to recite some of the many and varied ways China has clamped down on HK freedoms, and these are widely publicised in the media and literature. I'm not your personal research assistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouLoveMeYouKnowIt

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Canada
You are ill-informed in the extreme if you think Hong Kong is just as free under Chinese rule (or even close). So some basic research before spouting your mouth, it would be tiresome to recite some of the many and varied ways China has clamped down on HK freedoms, and these are widely publicised in the media and literature. I'm not your personal research assistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I pointed out that Hong Kong never had the right to vote, as it was implied. This is not being misinformed.

Also, I am not misinformed for providing a counterpoint to a generalized implication that Hong Kongers had no right to speak their mind anymore.

Besides these two points, I only mocked the independence movement as puny. Clearly, I struck a nerve somewhere.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
What vote? Hong Kong had no vote under Britain.

This is not speaking your mind? I must've missed where the PLA rolled in and shot these protesters for speaking their mind.

And here we see a protest involving the highly popular Joshua Wong, the voice of dissent in Hong Kong. It doesn't look too good for anti-China/pro-independence/pro-Britain groups when there are as many journalists as there are protesters. This demonstrates the rather tiny minority status of these elements. But more importantly the very fact there are people protesting in favour of Britain, in favour of independence, or against China is a disservice to your post. You can't claim Hong Kongers cannot speak their mind when they're protesting while Xi Jinping was in the city watching a military parade and celebrating the 20th Anniversary.
Yes. Seems that Britain tried to give them the vote in the 50s, 80s and 90s but business men scuppered them. Still. Maybe the British were less controlling than the Chinese. Either way. Hong Kong is never going to be anything but Chinese now.

Status
Closed