Hong Kong would prefer to be under British Imperial rule.

Status
Closed
May 2016
Greater Manchester
Youloveme...-there is no such thing in the 21st century as 'British Imperial rule'' anybody who thinks there is is deluded.The British Commonwealth Act abolished the 'British Empire' in the 1960's.
The British Empire officially ended on 1st July 1997 when Britain gave Hong Kong to China.

Jan 2014
Portugal
Is there any statistic confronting pro-independence/autonomy vs pro-PRC? (number of people who have that correspondant opinions).

Oct 2013
Canada
Is there any statistic confronting pro-independence/autonomy vs pro-PRC? (number of people who have that correspondant opinions).
I found a poll on SCMP website. Of the people polled, 90% wanted independence. This does not mean the majority of people who independence. There is no sample size given and anyone, regardless if you lived in Hong Kong or not, could vote. This is very fishy. This leads me to thinking that only people who wanted independence went on and voted, representing only themselves. For example, if there are 1,000 people who want independence out of 8 million Hong Kongers, and only around ~1,100 or even only 500 Hong Kongers and another group of China-bashers went on and vote, that means yes 90% of the people polled want independence. But that does not reflect the Hong Kong population.

EDIT: SCMP poll was for return to Britain, not just independence. This means 92% of Hong Kongers want to return to Britain? >7 million? Seems hard to believe.

Polling must be done without bias and must include a large sample size from people from all walks of life in Hong Kong. This reminds me of the American Family Association a couple years ago when I was following social issues in the US. There was a poll in the US for "do people support gay marriage." The American Family Association sent out a note to all of their members to go online to the polls and press "I oppose legalizaton of homosexual marriage and civil union." If there are 200 people who vote, and the AFA bring 2,000 of their members and get all of them to press "I oppose," that does not reflect reality. It is fabricating results.

So what I am wondering is that SCMP poll is reflective of reality, why would SCMP keep the sample size secret? It is worse when I, someone living outside of Hong Kong, could press YES or NO without logging in or making an account. I could easily just share that page on Facebook groups to bring thousands of people to vote for what I want.

Here, I found it:

New Tang Dynasty, which is a literal China-basher channel, shows the poll and considers it news worthy. What rational person would consider a YES/NO vote on the Internet that hides the sample size, allows anyone anywhere to vote, and could be shared on social media to be accurate? 92% want independence but it is an online poll and people who want to fabricate results could just press "SHARE."

However, when a poll is conducted by a Hong Kong university using a more rational and controllable sample size, the support for independence falls to just 17%, with 57% strongly or somwhat opposed to the idea and another 20% unsure:

One in six support Hong Kong independence from China: poll | Reuters

This, adding onto the affinity to China as reflected by mass media in Hong Kong, should really get people thinking. Do people really want independence? As it turns out, no.

Last edited:
Sep 2015
The Eastern Hinterlands
The only reason why they want to go back to British rule is because the U.S. is still the sole superpower and to spite America they go pro-Brit because the U.S. was a former British colony. If Britain still ruled the waves and if Hong Kong was still under British rule you can bet they'll be screaming for independence to no end.

Human nature, gotta love it.:D

Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
The only reason why they want to go back to British rule is because the U.S. is still the sole superpower and to spite America they go pro-Brit because the U.S. was a former British colony. If Britain still ruled the waves and if Hong Kong was still under British rule you can bet they'll be screaming for independence to no end.

Human nature, gotta love it.:D
That is so true. Before the Basic Law, I can't remember the number of people who would say "We are Chinese. In '97 we go back China. Gwai Loh must push off". (polite version)
Then the deal was done and the same people would say "We British. Always British. We want passport. Always Loyal. HK only work if Gwai Loh stay".
As a single bloke it was embarrassing how all the Chinese girls threw themselves at you with the aim of getting a passport, if not through marriage, then through injection. When the Foreign Office let everyone down and came up with the joke "BnO" passport the Canadians, the Aussies--even the Coco Islanders got the attention.

Ahh! Those were the days.

Sep 2015
The Eastern Hinterlands
That is so true. Before the Basic Law, I can't remember the number of people who would say "We are Chinese. In '97 we go back China. Gwai Loh must push off". (polite version)
Then the deal was done and the same people would say "We British. Always British. We want passport. Always Loyal. HK only work if Gwai Loh stay".
As a single bloke it was embarrassing how all the Chinese girls threw themselves at you with the aim of getting a passport, if not through marriage, then through injection. When the Foreign Office let everyone down and came up with the joke "BnO" passport the Canadians, the Aussies--even the Coco Islanders got the attention.

Ahh! Those were the days.
:D Funny times we truly live in.

May 2016
Greater Manchester
That's because the Chinese started clamping down on Hong Kongian democracy. China should hand it back to Britain.

Status
Closed