Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
In the old South, parks, schools, government buildings, roads etc. etc. all named after Confederate dead. Many have been rebranded, but some states had the battle flag in their state colors until recently (some still might). tahts what I object to.
Try to imagine substituting the Nazi “Crooked Cross” for the Stars and Bars and “proudly” flying that ill-starred banner and you might get an idea of how welcome that would be at my house.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
For Americans to view the loyalists as traitors would be the pot calling the kettle black. Objectively, it was the patriots who were the traitors--traitors to Great Britain. You can argue that the patriots were justified in what they did, but it's still hard to argue that it wasn't treason.
Sigh...yes, it was definitely treason on the part of the nascent American republic. I forgive them. I wonder what would have happened if the US Revolution had failed and WW1 broke out and there was no US government to respond...people would still have been here, of course, but...

Sep 2014
Texas
When my father who is now deceased was a boy, he told me about an uncle of his who fought for the South as a 14 year old boy. My family was dirt poor and only one of my ancestors was a slave owner, and he is held in contempt, but that boy was not one. He fought because the Yankees were in Mississippi stealing things from poor people. (not everyone lived in big plantations)

My mother told us that she had a grandmother who told them about how they had to hide the cow to keep the Yankees from stealing her.

I honestly don't care what you do with the Confederate statues. The one in Dallas by the famous equestran artist is considered one of the finest bronzes in America, but it's currently in a shed. 1557499264460.png

I think it would be a shame to see it melted down but expect that will be its future. The Democrats put the statues up and now want to melt them down. It seems like every generation they do something to hurt someone.

Jul 2009
^^ More absurdity, and more destruction of whatever historical memory remains. The PC universe is expanding as much as the physical one. Tragically, almost no one really gives a damn about history.

There are undoubtedly more Italian Americans than Native Americans, but the current rage has been to "re-brand" Columbus Day as "Indigenous Peoples Day." WTF is that about except political pablum for the political needs du jour?

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Sigh...yes, it was definitely treason on the part of the nascent American republic. I forgive them. I wonder what would have happened if the US Revolution had failed and WW1 broke out and there was no US government to respond...people would still have been here, of course, but...
You'd probably contribute more, I think, as a dominion of the Commonwealth you'd be involved in the war earlier, like Canada, Austrialia, New Zealend and others were, not just at the end.

May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Sigh...yes, it was definitely treason on the part of the nascent American republic. I forgive them. .
Of course it was 'treason' rebellion against the lawful recognised government is such.

Why on earth would someone not forgive them?

I wonder what would have happened if the US Revolution had failed and WW1 broke out and there was no US government to respond...people would still have been here, of course, but.. .
If the US Revolution 'failed' then history would have been different, I am certain that British North America would have broken with Britain sooner or later. How acrimonious that split would have been is unknowable but if we assume it was like Canada then the RN is joined by the very large RBNAN and the BNAAC is huge.

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
I’m glad the South lost the Civil War. Imagine an America where the South had won the ACW. Horrible...
This is at least the 10th dead thread that you have Zombie resurrected in the past two weeks!

If you wish to discuss a topic, start a new thread.

This is a "CEASE AND DESIST" warning.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
As a commonly known fact, both Union and Confederate troops fought bloodily against each other for their own causes. Now here's the question. Should Confederate soldiers be honored in the American society. Would you you call them traitors, or Americans who fought for their life? What are your opinions?
I think it is a good thing, for example, when any US President and Japanese Prime Minster can stand together in places like Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima, shake hands, embrace, and say - never again. And we "honor" Japanese fighters. Samurai is not a bad word, and Goku has his own TV show.

Similar History Discussions