Votes: 9 10.2%

• Total voters
Status
Closed

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Maki, you are arguing stereotypes that you cannot quantify, that I don't believe, and that are irrelevant.
They are highly relevant. You made a claim that certain elements oppressed the South and pushed their version of history upon the South for 150 years. I replied to that by saying that it was actually the opposite. The South pretty much dictated the accepted ACW narrative and I have listed examples of famous movies that spread the Southern version of history among the general populace.

They didn't have the southern version where I grew up. I was 40 years old the first time I heard "war of northern aggression" and didn't know what that meant.
Your profile says that you are from the Caribbean. I really don't know how much is ACW taught in Caribbean schools.

And you arguing to me, the South hasn't been brainwashed enough?
How is the South brainwashed?

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
I think we all agree on the primary concepts of the Lost Cause ideology. I don't think there is an exhaustive list of those concepts, but the main ones are:
1. Secession was legal
2. The war was about anything except slavery - but slavery was a good thing
3. 1 southern hero was better than any 10 Yankees
4. The USA only won because they had a huge advantage in men and materiel.
5. Nothing that went wrong in the war can be blamed on R. E. Lee
I don't know who "we all" are. I read a 20-page thread on defining this on Civil War Talk. It was a much of a foo's errand than as it is now. - in my opinion. It's just another in the never-ending practice of stereotyping and demonizing.

Jun 2019
Chicago Suburbs
I don't know who "we all" are. I read a 20-page thread on defining this on Civil War Talk. It was a much of a foo's errand than as it is now. - in my opinion. It's just another in the never-ending practice of stereotyping and demonizing.
Are/were you a CWT member? So was I until I was banished for complaining about the site owner reading PM's. What was your screen name on CWT?

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Are/were you a CWT member? So was I until I was banished for complaining about the site owner reading PM's. What was your screen name on CWT?
Not a member, but it was a good source for research leads. That's how I came to know all the documents that touch on the lawfulness of secession.

Jun 2019
Chicago Suburbs
Not a member, but it was a good source for research leads. That's how I came to know all the documents that touch on the lawfulness of secession.
There is a brand new site just getting up and running called jggscivilwartalk.com that you might be interested in.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
There is a brand new site just getting up and running called jggscivilwartalk.com that you might be interested in.
Thank you, but my next exploration will be the War of 1812 and its surrounding. I want to find out more about the New England secession movement and about their refusal to cooperate with Madison in the war.

Feb 2011
Scotland
Thank you, but my next exploration will be the War of 1812 and its surrounding. I want to find out more about the New England secession movement and about their refusal to cooperate with Madison in the war.
Thats always a good one, though there have been a few threads recently.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions