Horse archers.

CelticBard

Historum Emeritas
Aug 2006
Roving
Horse mounted archers, steppe nomads, still existed in this period. Did they use the same traditional dress and fighting styles of their Turco-Mongol predecesors, or did their tactics and weapons change with the times?

Jul 2006
Hellas
CelticBard said:
Horse mounted archers, steppe nomads, still existed in this period. Did they use the same traditional dress and fighting styles of their Turco-Mongol predecesors, or did their tactics and weapons change with the times?
I believe yes, Horse archers are one of the most succeeding units in military history, hit and run till the opponent is exhausted and then the ... end.
So why to change a succesfull tactic?

Aug 2006
CelticBard said:
I think the Byzantine put more armor on their horse archers. Were the Bohkars (sp?) from Novogrod(ians?) like other Horse archers?

CelticBard

Historum Emeritas
Aug 2006
Roving
Well everything the Byzantines did was taken from what they saw as successful by their enemies and by their allies. Parthians, Magyars, Turks, and Mongols all had horse armor, mostly lamellar, but some scale armor made of metals. Rome and her successor Constantinople were great at taking the ideas of others and improving upon them.

The Russian Boyars would have fought in a fashion similar to that of the Magyar elite, armored cavalry with bows, lances, and swords, which is also very similar to how the Roman clibarii (oven men) and the Parthian-Persian cataphracts fought in earlier times.

Jul 2006
Hellas
Agree with you, especially byzantines used much military technology from their enemies, like the more extensive use of heavy cavalry from Persian protyps, the stirup from Avars e.t.c.
Nut byzantines were not so famous about their horse archers although "Kataphracts" were trained in use of bow but they were used much more as shock troops.

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.
In this period they were mostly found in Eastern Europe and in the Ottoman Empire. Cossacks, Tartars and Bashkirs used bows, spears and pistols, as did the original Hussars from Hungary. Western Europe also had mounted archers , although they used crossbows and arquebuses.

CelticBard

Historum Emeritas
Aug 2006
Roving
The English had "mounted archers," but it would be impossible to use a long bow from the saddle they were mounted while moving and dismounted to fight. An ongoing English tradition, from the Houscarls to the Knights and Archers.

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.
CelticBard said:
The English had "mounted archers," but it would be impossible to use a long bow from the saddle they were mounted while moving and dismounted to fight. An ongoing English tradition, from the Houscarls to the Knights and Archers.
I was thinking more along the lines of Spanish Esopeteros, French Argulets, and similar such troops found in most Western armies that performed a mounted archer function without actually using bows. As for firing English long warbows from saddles, I read somewhere this was done on the odd occasion during the 100 years war, but with much reduced range and effect. I'll have to look it up. In any event, you need look no further than Samurai shooting long bows from horseback.

CelticBard

Historum Emeritas
Aug 2006
Roving
Theirs is a completely different style though, the bow is held and drawn above the head, probably not close to the pull weight of an English long bow. That would be a bit difficult to do with a real heavy draw weight designed for a foot archer.

Similar History Discussions