Horses in history.

May 2019
Ro
What breeds of horses are descendants of thracian horses? And when i am looking on horses breeds from Hungary, i dont see any small horse tipical for nomads, what happened to their horses ?

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
Too much interbreeding with European Horse breeds? Except for Hungary and Thrace, Europe was mostly woodlands and if Steppe Nomads penetrated far into Europe their Horses died. European Horses survived Winters by forage and grain.

Pruitt

Reactions: horselover1

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
1. What do You understand by "thracian horse"?

2. There still is (in Carpathian mountains) the Hucul/Huțul/Huculska. It might be old enough to be considered "thracian", I suppose.

3. Hungarian Cavalry evolved towards Western-type cavalry quite early (already in the 13th c, I'd say). Horses were selected/inbreeded to follow that evolution.

4. Small horses weren't that typical for nomads as we tend to believe. See Arab and Beduin types of horses, for example.

May 2019
Ro
1. I read about thracian horses, they are some how ancestors of akhal teke, but i think is a lie. If it was true, we will had some of them in europe evolved.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
1. I read about thracian horses, they are some how ancestors of akhal teke, but i think is a lie. If it was true, we will had some of them in europe evolved.
IDK that much about horses, IDK if it's a lie.

That they "didn't evolved in Europe" doesn't mean a lot like that: the horse is a tool. People don't use, don't keep the type of horses that isn't good for them.

I don't see the Akhal Teke necessarily very well adapted for European use of horses.

Reactions: Niobe
May 2019
Ro
Yes is a tool, but akhal theke is a somehow war horse, very well adapted fast and endurance horse. So if it was somehow thracian type of horse we will have it this days in europe.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Yes is a tool, but akhal theke is a somehow war horse, very well adapted fast and endurance horse. So if it was somehow thracian type of horse we will have it this days in europe.
IDK if we would have have it (or any other more than 2000 years old horse breed) in Europe: there were way too many Influences, way too many changes, people coming and going with their horses, aso.

Jan 2016
United States, MO
Too much interbreeding with European Horse breeds? Except for Hungary and Thrace, Europe was mostly woodlands and if Steppe Nomads penetrated far into Europe their Horses died. European Horses survived Winters by forage and grain.

Pruitt
What killed the steppe horses in europe? Winters are harsher on the steppe than they ever could be in almost all of Europe

Reactions: horselover1
Apr 2017
Bayreuth
IDK if we would have have it (or any other more than 2000 years old horse breed) in Europe: there were way too many Influences, way too many changes, people coming and going with their horses, aso.
@deaf tuner
You are mistaken. We do have multiple 1000 year old 2000 year old breeds.
The Arabs go back 5000 years; recorded; OF COURSE do you have influences, like in the medieval time a lot of Arab blood went in, but you can look up some:

Sorraia, Protugal; nealry extinct; not treated as wild-horse; but DNA showed it is;

Camargue Horse; France; already reported by the Romans

Shetlandpony; 2500 years old;

Dulmer Pony; documented as race in the medieval time (since then they are protected in Germany as a semi-wild-horse); but horses in their area were already reported by Romans; it is basically a Germanic horse^^

Connemara; Irish; ca. 2500 years old

Ardennes; France; already used by the Romans;

Asturcons; Spain; already used by the Romans;

Mallorquin; Spain; very old as well;

Pottok; Basque; very old;

and not to forget the Dartmoor Pony – the last post-ice-age-pony – ca. 3000 years long already domesticated

There are more...

But for YOU I do have the Bardigiano; Italy; that is an old Belgian breed/relative of your war-horse you road during Roman times; that got cross-bred with other horses (like Haflinger/old German breed) and on top of that they used it for creating mules!
So if you want to do something about the horses you left in Ital – that is your chance now.^^

What killed the steppe horses in europe? Winters are harsher on the steppe than they ever could be in almost all of Europe
I second that, as there are multiple races that are from the Mongols. One funny one: The Lyngshest. As the Lyngshest is also called Nordland-shest/horse, it is a Norwegian horse and one guy basically rescued it, by running all over norhtern Norway to find some horses and it is a Tarpan/Mongolian/something/something cross breed. ^^ So Mongolian horses "somehow" ended up in north Norway.

While I am not sure what the DNA tests on that breeds are and horse organizations are a family of their own. In the close future our wonderful Rhenish horse will be a Saxon... only for 100 years that breed existed.^^

Horselover1 – what is with Greek breeds? Like the Macedonian Mountain pony? Could that work as a Thracian horse?
The Hungarians are no nomads anymore for ca. 1100 years. They had kings and cities and all of that in the medieval time already.

May 2019
Ro
Ryanx. I dont know maybe. I dont found so much about thracian horses, just some words, but i think they are lie no reliable source. Yes, hungarians are no nomads, but their horses cant just disappear like that.