How can we expain history to schoolers in several minutes.

ktisis

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Russia, Msk
There is in Russia a project which tries to do this.
Caesar, The Colosseum, Republic, Nero, geese, plebeians, legions — everything that you once knew, but forgot, in a crash course video by Arzamas.

Narrated by Brian Cox.

"Ancient Rome in 20 minutes" is an English version of a Russian video by Arzamas.

Homer, The Minotaur, 300 spartans, Greek theatre, Parthenon, democracy — everything that you once knew, but forgot, in a crash course video by Arzamas.

Narrated by Brian Cox.

"Ancient Greece in 18 minutes" is an English version of a Russian video by Arzamas.

But... My feelings about it are confused - too many mistakes and simplifications.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Btw, it's interesting for me - how does a regular history lesson in your school look like?
There are many variables. The age (and level) of the students would be the major one. Anyhow, an judging by the title, these videos seem similar in type of those kind of books: “Expert in 30 minutes”.

Aug 2016
USA
Not that I have any expertise here, but I would just tell them stories from history. History is basically an anecdotal field. It has been passed on for ages by means of anecdotes.

Maybe get them to apply lessons learned from these stories by asking them to compare/contrast with more modern equivalents.

Aug 2016
USA
Btw, it's interesting for me - how does a regular history lesson in your school look like?
In America it's boring as any of our wonderful four-letter words, because they simply go over the same material year after year while adding a few new bits each time.

It's been a while since I was in highschool, but I believe it mostly covers the revolutionary war, slavery, and westward expansion of our nation.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I'm not saying it isn't.
Hi RidiculousName,

It seemed so, stating what I state, I was basically totally disagreeing with your sentence “History is basically an anecdotal field.” That doesn’t seem compatible with a Human and Social Science.

Or, if there is a remote chance of you being correct, maybe I was just hurt in my pride for passing too many years studding and teaching anecdotes :D

Jul 2017
USA
In America it's boring as any of our wonderful four-letter words, because they simply go over the same material year after year while adding a few new bits each time.

It's been a while since I was in highschool, but I believe it mostly covers the revolutionary war, slavery, and westward expansion of our nation.
It covers discovery and colonialism to an extent as well, but it's called American History. American History is mandatory. I think World History, or Western Civilization, or other similar subjects other than American History are electives in HS as far as I know. Western Civilization is a mandatory humanities course at least in accredited college programs.

Similar History Discussions