How come Allied intelligence did not prevent failure at Operation Market Garden?

Lord Fairfax

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Changing trains at Terrapin Station...
Taking the Nijmegen Bridge was not the priority mission of the 82nd,
Yes of course it was, along with the Maas bridge

"The 82d Airborne Division will seize and hold the bridges at Nijmegen and Grave

The capture and retention of the high ground between Nijmegen and Grosbeek is imperative in order to accomplish the division's task." (Bold is mine for emphasis) Source

Primary mission -> The 82d Airborne Division will seize and hold the bridges at Nijmegen and Grave

Vital action required to complete mission -> The capture and retention of the high ground between Nijmegen and Grosbeek is imperative

Here is a comparison:

Primary mission -> Remove faulty electrical socket and replace it

Vital action required to complete mission -> Shut off power before starting work

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
Can't help it. If Gavin had taken the Nijmegen bridge as he was supposed to do on the first day immediately after landing the XXX Corps would not have been delayed at Nijmegen. The Next stop would have been Arnhem and there's no doubt XXX Corps would have constituted a relief for the British.
Oh, I think there's reason for doubt. The Germans were responding well.

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
The mission was in deep trouble when some Air Corps planner decreed that the transports would only fly one mission a day. If the landings had been flown in two days instead of the planned three days, most of the Airborne would have been on the ground on Day Two. The SS Divisions were about to move out to a new location when the landings started. One was even ordered to hand over all working tanks to the other division! That division removed some parts so they could claim a number of tanks were down for repairs. They were quickly put back to working order when they were put on Paratrooper Alert.

Montgomery put out a flawed general plan. I don't think his real objective was to get bridgeheads across the route. I think he was trying to make a claim for most of the supply and the attachment of American troops to his Army Group. If Patton had not been so sneaky in grabbing German fuel and artillery shells, he would have had to come to a halt.

Keep in mind the German Reserve Army was hoarding troops (a million?) in case their coup d'état against Hitler worked. Look at how quickly the frontline was repaired in Holland after Market Garden.

Pruitt

Reactions: Hoosierhiver
Oct 2014
Poole. UK
Montgomery put out a flawed general plan. I don't think his real objective was to get bridgeheads across the route. I think he was trying to make a claim for most of the supply and the attachment of American troops to his Army Group. If Patton had not been so sneaky in grabbing German fuel and artillery shells, he would have had to come to a halt.

Pruitt
:lol: Oh come on!

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
Montgomery insisted on control in his offenses. He wanted ALL the supply coming in to support his push. He also wanted to keep Simpson's 9th Army under his command. Bradley wanted it back. After M-G, Simpson was given back to Bradley. Montgomery had been instructed to capture the areas launching V-1's on the UK. M-G was his plan to do this.

Eisenhower was telling his Army Commanders they would have to stop. Patton got around this by using German fuel he captured. He was able to supplement his artillery with captured German artillery with captured ammo. Montgomery had been warned he was going to lose British divisions as the replacements had dried up, he needed Simpson's Army for future plans.

Pruitt