How come India gives its part of Kashmir representation in its parliament but Pakistan doesn't do the same for its own part of Kashmir?

Status
Closed

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
How come India gives its part of Kashmir representation in its parliament but Pakistan doesn't do the same for its own part of Kashmir? If one looks at maps of Indian elections, Indian Kashmir is always included in them, but if one looks at maps of Pakistani elections, Pakistani Kashmir never actually appears to be included in them. Why exactly is this the case?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
I think Pakistan has given Kashmir its due as the fifth region, though it came very late. The elections still are controlled by the Army. Pakistani Punjab's intention was to exploit all other regions in the country (Balochistan is an example), which it still does. In the Indian portion of Kashmir, democracy has prevailed for most of the time, except during when Bakshi Ghulam Mohammad (1964-71) and Syed Mir Quasim (1971-75) of the Congress were the chief ministers. During these 11 years, the elections were not democratic.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I think Pakistan has given Kashmir its due as the fifth region, though it came very late. The elections still are controlled by the Army. Pakistani Punjab's intention was to exploit all other regions in the country (Balochistan is an example), which it still does. In the Indian portion of Kashmir, democracy has prevailed for most of the time, except during when Bakshi Ghulam Mohammad (1964-71) and Syed Mir Quasim (1971-75) of the Congress were the chief ministers. During these 11 years, the elections were not democratic.
AFAIK, though, Pakistan-controlled Kashmir doesn't actually have representation in the Pakistani parliament.

Also, were the 1987 elections in Indian-controlled Kashmir rigged?

Oct 2015
India
It is very difficult to say conclusively and I can talk in terms of probabilities.

Who is alleging rigging? Can they have some ulterior motivations?

The mainstream political parties in Kashmir, like PDP and NCP, don't allege rigging in 1987. Congress also does not allege rigging.

Allegation of rigging generally comes from people who now belong to separatists / terrorist camp (I heard Yasin Malik saying it in interview in a TV program titled "Aap ki Adalat" (Hindi)). Now this camp, as is well known, is anti-election, anti-democracy. They do not believe in electoral processes, they want to capture power at point of the gun. They have given umpteem number of calls to boycott elections and killed many an elected representatives who dared too participate.

It is obvious that these people did not enjoy wide public support and do not want elections as results would expose them. Even today they are not in favor of elections, since in Srinagar this year the voting percentage was low (elsewhere in kashmir it was good). The separatists / terrorist group which alleges rigging is a small minority. I do not trust their allegations, esp since these were made to justify commencement of terror activities in Kashmir which began a little after 1987.

Can elections be manipulated in India??

NO. In my view there can be no large scale tampering of the election process in India. Occasionally, some booth-capturing, intimidation of voters etc happen in less developed areas. WE have seen so many surprise election victories which go to prove that elections in India are free and fair.

More than the above, some Kashmiris with inside information can tell.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Yeah, too long back. Do not remember exactly, but perhaps they were not. By that time, the Central government had understood that rigging creates more problems than it solves.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
How come India gives its part of Kashmir representation in its parliament but Pakistan doesn't do the same for its own part of Kashmir? If one looks at maps of Indian elections, Indian Kashmir is always included in them, but if one looks at maps of Pakistani elections, Pakistani Kashmir never actually appears to be included in them. Why exactly is this the case?
It seems Pakistanis couldn't claim Kashmir as their own in open.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
It is very difficult to say conclusively and I can talk in terms of probabilities.

Who is alleging rigging? Can they have some ulterior motivations?

The mainstream political parties in Kashmir, like PDP and NCP, don't allege rigging in 1987. Congress also does not allege rigging.

Allegation of rigging generally comes from people who now belong to separatists / terrorist camp (I heard Yasin Malik saying it in interview in a TV program titled "Aap ki Adalat" (Hindi)). Now this camp, as is well known, is anti-election, anti-democracy. They do not believe in electoral processes, they want to capture power at point of the gun. They have given umpteem number of calls to boycott elections and killed many an elected representatives who dared too participate.

It is obvious that these people did not enjoy wide public support and do not want elections as results would expose them. Even today they are not in favor of elections, since in Srinagar this year the voting percentage was low (elsewhere in kashmir it was good). The separatists / terrorist group which alleges rigging is a small minority. I do not trust their allegations, esp since these were made to justify commencement of terror activities in Kashmir which began a little after 1987.

Can elections be manipulated in India??

NO. In my view there can be no large scale tampering of the election process in India. Occasionally, some booth-capturing, intimidation of voters etc happen in less developed areas. WE have seen so many surprise election victories which go to prove that elections in India are free and fair.

More than the above, some Kashmiris with inside information can tell.
The Soviet defeat and retreat from Afghanistan was the main reason that triggered insurgency in Kashmir.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
India has accession paper and upper hand when it comes to Kashmir. Pakistanis have only their emotions. I think giving representation in Pakistan National Assembly weaken the Army grips on each and every affair of Pakistan occupied Kashmir.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
AFAIK, though, Pakistan-controlled Kashmir doesn't actually have representation in the Pakistani parliament.

Whatever reason people may give, the main reason of the Islamic insurgency was renewed confidence after the Soviet retreat from Afghanistan. Although the violence has confined to tiny Kashmir valley. The Hindus, Muslims and Buddhists of Jammu and Ladakh and Gujjar Bakarwals of valley never had an issue.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
I hope you are not forgetting creation of Bangladesh. That is what bugs Pakistan Army since 1971. :)

Status
Closed