How Come Indo-Europeans Dominate Civilization?

Jun 2013
--
The beginning of Indo-European migrations was truly a turning point in the path of humankind. These people spread to almost every corner of the old world. They infiltrated the ancient Near East and Asia Minor, overrun Central Asia and the Caucasus, established elite dominance in India, swarmed the European continent, and settled in the Iranian plateau.* These migrations influenced and gave rise to the most glorious civilizations in history, one of which have been dominating the entire globe since the 18th century.

The reasons behind the prosperity of modern Western Civilization are well-known. But what was the secret of the early Indo-European success? Was it the horse, the chariot, their numbers, their culture, their strong sense of identity, their colourful pantheon of gods that inspired them, or simply luck?

Discuss.

*I lean towards the Kurgan Hypothesis. I thought I should mention that in order to avoid future flak!

Last edited:
Dec 2009
Poland
Kartir said:
The beginning of Indo-European migrations was truly a turning point in the path of humankind. These people spread to almost every corner of the old world.
Did really people physically spread? Were those really migrations? Or what was their scale? Probably rather small:

historycy.org -> Allochtonizm Vs Autochtonizm

Translation:

Biological (genetic) research speak in favour of presence in the area of India of ancestors of modern Indians - also these from higher castes, with famous "Slavic" haplogroup R1a_and_further - already in pre-Indo-European period. The most reasonable conclusion from this fact must lead to a statement, that so called indoeuropeization was in fact a process of mostly cultural and social / ethnical transformation, rather than physical migration. This is a meaningful "novum" in researching the processes of ethnogenesis, achieved thanks to genetical researches.

Last edited:
Mar 2013
Australia
My paternal DNA the most common Y in Europe is not Indo-European. It is from Mesopotamia/Anatolia and only came to Europe about 3-4000 years ago. I'd suggest by conquest.

Afrasiyab

Ad Honorem
Sep 2007
Do they? I mean yeah some of them are very powerful and have had great effects in the history but what have, say, Pakistanis or Latvians contributed to this dominance? Do not flatter yourself :) We can say the civilization in certain areas were dominated by some Indo-European speaking peoples. Indo-European is not a race.

They didn't dominate civilization, they created civilization. While the rest of the world more or less lived in caves there were flourishing cities in the middle east. Laws, commerce, architecture, education. All the makings of a true civilization. The indo europeans, whoever they were, never dominated civilization, their system did. Wherever the system went, power followed. Wherever it didn't, power was kept local or regional.

Jun 2013
--
Do they? I mean yeah some of them are very powerful and have had great effects in the history but what have, say, Pakistanis or Latvians contributed to this dominance? Do not flatter yourself :) We can say the civilization in certain areas were dominated by some Indo-European speaking peoples. Indo-European is not a race.
I agree.

Most if not all Indo-European civilizations are the result of a fusion of IE elements and non-IE elements. But that does not answer my original question: what was the secret of the early success of IE speaking peoples?

They didn't dominate civilization, they created civilization. While the rest of the world more or less lived in caves there were flourishing cities in the middle east. Laws, commerce, architecture, education. All the makings of a true civilization. The indo europeans, whoever they were, never dominated civilization, their system did. Wherever the system went, power followed. Wherever it didn't, power was kept local or regional.
The non-IE civilizations of the Indus Valley, Mesopotamia and Egypt had already been prospering when Indo-European peoples were a bunch of insignificant "barbarians". I'm not quite sure that you have a clear understanding of the subject at hand.

Oct 2013
Pennsylvania
In my unscientific opinion, the Indo-Europeans accepted into their groups, another group of people who helped them to migrate throughout the Western world - inhabiting Europe and then their many colonies throughout the world, including the Western Hemisphere.
These ten "tribes" of Israelites were forced out of their homeland by the ancient Assyrians and were never allowed to return to their home. They went somewhere.

I could give you "religious proof" but I don't think that you or the others would appreciate that.

Similar History Discussions