How come Spain's colonies didn't do so well but Britain's colonies did well?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Spain's colonies were more of conquered provinces to rule and exploit and less of locations to transplant people.
Since between 1500 and 1650 some 450.000 Spanish migrate to America from a population of around 7 to 8 million, and the migration begun with Columbus 2nd voyage in 1493, that sentence doesn’t seem true, but a perpetuation of a myth.

How many English, French or Dutch migrated to America in the same time period?

There is a study at JSTOR that you can have a look:

Spanish Historians on Spanish Migration to America during the Colonial Period on JSTOR

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
Since between 1500 and 1650 some 450.000 Spanish migrate to America from a population of around 7 to 8 million, and the migration begun with Columbus 2nd voyage in 1493, that sentence doesn’t seem true, but a perpetuation of a myth.

Spanish Historians on Spanish Migration to America during the Colonial Period on JSTOR

At a guess, about 30,000 'English' migrated to the American colonies before '1650'

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Another victim of Propaganda instead of History... I am very tired to talk always about the same...

LEYES DE BURGOS

Where are the Leyes de Burgos in New Hampshire or Vermont? Can you put here please?

And Spain had trade from 1492.. in fact, almost 100% products from Ameria in Europe was brought to Europe by Spain and the same about European products to America... Who do you think brought COTTON to America?...And if you want a long, long, very long and very boring list about cities stablished by the Spaniards from Isla del Fuego to Alaska? If you like I can write. From Ciudad del Nombre Jesús... 52º 19 minute South Latitude to Valdez... 61º 07 minute North Latituded...

Spain built roads, cities, ports, fortress, churches, etc etc etc... And Spain had forbidden other countries trade with the Dominions.

Sorry for English friends but this guy has made easy to me...

The british non-genocide:

Vermont (100 years under Britain): American Native: 0,2% population.

Spanish genocide:

Panamá (300 years under Spain): 8% indians, 30% mestizos, 14% Garifunas (black and India), 10% white...

New York? New Hampshire? Maybe Vermont? Rhode Island? Oh not... It is Panamá...320 years in the Crown of Spain!
I hope that you explain as the Spanish demons that ate the Indians for breakfast ... they left so many millions of Indians alive while the Anglos ... so civilized they ... did not leave one alive in New England.
The Dutch stablished Nieuw Amsterdam in 1625 became New York in 1674... 2018 Native population: 0%
The Spaniards stablished Lima 18th January 1535...90 years sooner than Nieuw Amsterdam and 139 years sooner British stablished New York....Native Population in 2018: 68%

Protestant propaganda apart if I were an american native and based on native population in any Spanish Dominion... from Argentina to Arizona or Texas... I would prefer to be under what you think the "Spanish Demons" than under what you say "British civilizated".... The natives from Georgia was able to say who were the Demons and who the civilizated.

Wow, I guess you just jump on any excuse to be an *******, eh?

Jun 2017
Connecticut
I was not able to read it because my JSTOR account has expired

Well don't have a JSTOR anymore sadly.

Still the South American colonies were much larger and managed a much larger population, and were those people settling to live or migrating to help run the colonies for the empire? The English colonies were starting from scratch they weren't trying to rule large native populations, they were separate. The English colonies were also pretty small for the most part. It still takes a ton of people to run and rule such a large area of land, and more Spainards moving to the New World doesn't really disprove that the point of those provinces were not to settle people. They were conquered by accident they didn't send anyone to settle that land they just ended up with the populations of two former empires in their lap.

Feb 2016
Japan
We are going down that road. This argument was thoroughly trashed.
USA and Canada both have higher numbers both relatively and as a percentage of native people than MANY former Spanish colonies several of which have 0%.

The percentage does not indicate how much they were genocided... in most cases it just reflects how much migration was to those places.

Feb 2016
Japan
It is time to fight some aspects of the theory of the black spanish legend.In South America, the spanish conquistadores have never forbidden the christian wedding of their soldiers with indian girls;today the descendants are millions.But the anglo saxon conquest was completely different;very slow but without pity for the natives,who were exterminated.How many indians in North America today ?
There are more Indians in the US today than ever before. 5 million. More if you include mixed and partially decended.

How many are on Barbados? Dominica? Jamaica?

There is no “black legend” Spaniards butchered the Indians and enslaved them. A few on here believe in an Anti Protestant Naritive though. English America never had any laws prohibiting interracial or inter religious marriage. Englishmen and women could marry who they liked. British law neither. Or blood purity laws.... and s couple believe in some “Golden Spain” where by the Spanish arrived, loved the Indians and treated them as brothers and children and all was happiness and joy....

Spanish America had laws about who was “pure” Spanish and who was not though. FACT.

English frequently inter married with American natives. FACT.

The only places in which natives were completely eradicated .... Spanish.

All of these are are routinely ignored in these forums whenever this gets trotted out.

Sep 2012
Spring, Texas
Edric ever go to Mexico, Peru, or Honduras? The descendants of the Native Americans are still around and thriving. Several Latin countries imported large numbers of Black Slaves and their progeny are still around (try Panama, Belize, Cuba). Two countries were heavily settled by Southern Europeans (Argentina, Chile). Each country is different. My sister in law Norma was born in a little village North of Mexico City. She is paler than I am and I have type 2 skin color. The Spanish did not build industry in her colonies. She exported all the wealth to Spain.

Feb 2016
Japan
Mute point.
Ever been to Alaska? Or Saskatchewan? Or Ohio?

The fact that some Spanish colonies were able to cope and thrive does not negate that they exterminated them completely in others.
But yes. Every country is different. And some of the nonsense peddled about about how great Spanish colonists were compared to English ones is nonsense.

But where are the natives of, Bahamas Trinidad or Jamaica? How did they THRIVE?

If I was native I’d take my chances against or living under the English. If I live with them and have their kids ... my kids are not trapped in a slave/caste system. I could marry one.
If Im captured in war, I’ve got the same odds of being murdered, but less odds of being a slave. I’m not going to be fed to a dog though.

Last edited:

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
There are very few Native Americans in Ohio. Only around 100 of them, in a state with nearly 12 million people. And since many people identified as Native American in the U.S. are actually of predominantly European descent, who knows how many of those 100 are really mostly of Native American descent.

Similar History Discussions