How come Spain's colonies didn't do so well but Britain's colonies did well?

Oct 2012
Ok Edric.. I can agree with you.. but the origin of the USA racims society.. it came from British colonies... I'm sure you'll agree with me that racism in South Carolina or Maryland does not have its origin in the Spanish conquistadors or in the French explorers ... as the racism in Texas doesn´t come from Spain or in Illinois from France.
The origin it is in British settlers (not in the Spanish or the French). I know the slavery institution was different in Spain than in Britain... but if both countries had slavery... why the racism extended in USA? I think the origin is British (not Spanish or French) and Protestant. Of course, I can be wrong... if we can prove the racism in USA have the origin in Texas or Arizona.. but didn´t.
It is very clear when we studied States as Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida... Illinois.. Whilst those States belonged to Spain and France... not "racist" issue at all...the racial issue only begun when Anglo-Americans settled there (not before).
With that logic, every military dictatorship in South America is of Spanish origin, right?

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
I would also like very much to know how racism in America has a British origin.
It is very easy.. the Racism in USA have an origin.... it doesnt´exist when Colón arrived to Bahamas and It didn´t exist when Don Lucas Vásquez de Ayllón stablished San Miguel de Guadalupe in what today is North Carolina....or when Don Pedro Menéndez de Avilés stablished San Agustín in Florida...So.. Can you explain the origin of the Racism in USA?

For sure it didn´t come from the" Conquistadores" or the "explorateurs"... did it?

Oct 2012
It is very easy.. the Racism in USA have an origin.... it doesnt´exist when Colón arrived to Bahamas and It didn´t exist when Don Lucas Vásquez de Ayllón stablished San Miguel de Guadalupe in what today is North Carolina....or when Don Pedro Menéndez de Avilés stablished San Agustín in Florida...So.. Can you explain the origin of the Racism in USA?

For sure it didn´t come from the" Conquistadores" or the "explorateurs"... did it?
Maybe it started when the Spaniards enslaved the Caribbean indians?

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
America’s attitude to race developed over time. As did Britain’s. And they developed differently. So America’s racism originated in the USA and I’d say is almost entirely based on its history of slavery.
It wasn't just based on a history of slavery. The prevalence of the phenomenon of "Indian hating" (prejudice against Native Americans) in the 19th century United States, and the continuing stereotyping of or prejudice against Native Americans into the 20th century were not rooted in slavery.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Maybe it started when the Spaniards enslaved the Caribbean indians?
You should be more impartial..The Spaniards have not matched to KKK as yes the Protestant and British...Not KKK in Louisiana in the centuries belonged to Spain or to France (nor Alabama nor Florida). As you can ´t say where is the origin of the racism in USA...or you don´t want because you have to admit that the origin is in Britain... maybe because not Laws of Burgos in British Monarchy.. or mabye because not a GARCILASO in the Protestant World... in any case.. in USA is very very clear... racism appeared where the Protestant (or British) settlers settled...

Leyes de Burgos....1512....

Whilst the Spaniards sentenced Indians have soul (Valladolid debate in 1550), by the way the first country in World to stablish Indians were humans... the Anglos Protestant settlers in North America..late 18th Century still claimed Negroes lacked of soul (Emerson, Michael O., and Christian Smith. Divided by faith: Evangelical religion and the problem of race in America. Oxford University Press, USA, 2000.)..Whilst in Spanish Dominions (from Texas and Californiai to Argentina and Chili.. churches were joined by all people... no matter color... the segregacionism was in the British Churches in North America till 20th Century)

So I asked a very easy question that nobody want to answer: Where is the ORIGIN of the racism in USA?

Oct 2012
You should be more impartial..The Spaniards have not matched to KKK as yes the Protestant and British...Not KKK in Louisiana in the centuries belonged to Spain or to France (nor Alabama nor Florida). As you can ´t say where is the origin of the racism in USA...or you don´t want because you have to admit that the origin is in Britain... maybe because not Laws of Burgos in British Monarchy.. or mabye because not a GARCILASO in the Protestant World... in any case.. in USA is very very clear... racism appeared where the Protestant (or British) settlers settled...

Leyes de Burgos....1512....

Whilst the Spaniards sentenced Indians have soul (Valladolid debate in 1550), by the way the first country in World to stablish Indians were humans... the Anglos Protestant settlers in North America..late 18th Century still claimed Negroes lacked of soul (Emerson, Michael O., and Christian Smith. Divided by faith: Evangelical religion and the problem of race in America. Oxford University Press, USA, 2000.)..Whilst in Spanish Dominions (from Texas and Californiai to Argentina and Chili.. churches were joined by all people... no matter color... the segregacionism was in the British Churches in North America till 20th Century)

So I asked a very easy question that nobody want to answer: Where is the ORIGIN of the racism in USA?
It is not a competition. Anyhow, I am not sure, so maybe you can educate me. Did the slaves cutting sugar cane in Cuba got souls?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Might that be down to a lack of awareness rather than some innate moral superiority?

"

"......Perhaps the most surprising thing about the British media's response to the anti-black racism displayed by Spanish fans at Wednesday's England-Spain "friendly" in Madrid is that they should have been so surprised.

"They are making a huge storm in a teacup," says Jimmy Burns, author of When Beckham Went to Madrid, who is half-English, half-Spanish. "Any journalist who follows Spanish football knows that there are monkey chants when black Real Madrid players take the field against Barcelona, and vice versa."

Spain, of course, is no more immune to the virus of racism than any other country. What is distinctive about Spanish racism is that Spaniards so often refuse to recognise this fact, and pride themselves on their tolerance.

The same senior politician who once told me that there was not a racist bone in the Spanish body politic blithely complained in the next sentence that "Britain is letting Gibraltar fill up with Moors".

This denial of the obvious is borne out by the attitude of the Spanish coach, Luis Aragonés. Last month he privately called the Arsenal player Thierry Henri a "black s**t". Far from apologising when the story broke, he blustered that he refused to accept accusations of racism from "English colonialists"......"

The enigma of Spanish racism
Kevinmeath, you quoted me in this post, me but your post doesn’t seem related with mine.

I am here arguing in the quoted post, in this thread and others, apparently not well enough, that there is not an “innate moral superiority” from either side, and that is that idea of “innate moral superiority” that distorts many times our concept of the “other”.

Furthermore those quotes and that link don’t seem to have anything to do with what I expressed about the idea that have about the themes that are, or aren’t, usually discussed in Portuguese and Spanish speaking “history forums”, and let me repeat and underline the words “history forums”.

So, why did you quoted me on this? Reading your post it seems that I was arguing that there is no racism in Spain! Or in the UK! Or in the USA! Or in Portugal! Or in Ireland! Or in Football! Well let me tell you what we already should know quite well… there is. And is growing really fast. The racism… the prejudice… the intolerance… the bigotry… but that was not the theme of my previous post that you quoted.

May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Kevinmeath, you quoted me in this post, me but your post doesn’t seem related with mine.

I am here arguing in the quoted post, in this thread and others, apparently not well enough, that there is not an “innate moral superiority” from either side, and that is that idea of “innate moral superiority” that distorts many times our concept of the “other”.

Furthermore those quotes and that link don’t seem to have anything to do with what I expressed about the idea that have about the themes that are, or aren’t, usually discussed in Portuguese and Spanish speaking “history forums”, and let me repeat and underline the words “history forums”.

So, why did you quoted me on this? Reading your post it seems that I was arguing that there is no racism in Spain! Or in the UK! Or in the USA! Or in Portugal! Or in Ireland! Or in Football! Well let me tell you what we already should know quite well… there is. And is growing really fast. The racism… the prejudice… the intolerance… the bigotry… but that was not the theme of my previous post that you quoted.
You seemed to be saying that there were not the range and or amount of discussion focussed on 'race' and 'raceism' is other language history forum such as Spanish ones. I was using the newspaper article to point out that this may be because of a lack of awareness of the issue rather than a lack of actual racism.

Similar History Discussions