How come that Bulgarians started to speak a Slavic language?

Aug 2019
Livingston 62° 38′ 27″ S, 60° 22′ 0.98″ W
Lol It would appear, that the gentleman from Slovenia took the wind out of my sails.The proto-Bulgarians(bulgars) spoke iranic like language and used greek lettering to express it
I find the history of Bulgaria quite intriguing and stumbled into it by researching the 'lost' nation of the huns. Bulgars are what remained of the huns of Attila and by that measure
the only living relatives of the Kushans of former Bactria.

In 1220 Genghis khan exterminated the original population of nowdays Northern Afghanistan and we have an area called afghani Turkestan, where the former Bactria - maternal country of the old bulgars was located.It might also make sense to assume, that Roxanne - the local wife of Alexander the Great, was of ols Scythian - proto-Bulgarian stock.
She was the daughter of the satrap in Balkh- the capital city of Bactria and the ethnonym of the Balkhars(bulgars).

here is a link on the town of Balkh - now in North Afghanistan aka Afghani Turkestan.
Balkh - Wikipedia

I also took the liberty to post images of proto-Bulgarian rulers from the the First Bulgarian Kingdom as depicted on Byzantine manuscripts.

Kanasubigi Omurtag aka as Mortagon to the Byzantines

View attachment 22793

Kanasubigi Krum - father of Mortagon

View attachment 22794

Simeon the Great

View attachment 22795

To assist you better, I went on a digging expedition to pull out more on the old bulgar alphabet and language

Inscription and Alphabet of the Proto-Bulgarians - Contents
Tervel's seal at a museum in Washington
Khan Turvel is the second ruler of Bulgaria. According to the Bulgarian Khan's Directory, he succeeds Asparuh.
Sources today show different figures for his reign of 700-721 (701-718). In 705, Emperor Justinian elevated Caesar to the Roman imperial title, creating a precedent in history. He was probably a Christian, much like his grandfather Kubrat. According to some researchers, St. Trifelius Theoctist, the savior of Europe, canonized by the Eastern and Western Christian churches, is Tervel. 150814263943856.jpg

Jul 2017
Neverland
How does converting to a certain religion change your physical appearance?
By becoming a Turk in our case. Most of todays's population of Turkey and Azerbaijan are the original inhabitants before the Seljuks arrivide in the 11th century AD.
Turks practiced communism, by not taxing muslims and slapping 10% tax on others.So, there would be stimulus by signing on the dotted line and becoming muslim.

Rich people saw their assets stripped away and given to the newly converted. Nice huh ? lol
Let me show how the seljuks of Azerbaijan looked. Photo of the President of that country below.

1567543533723.png

Do you see the pretty mongolic eyes ?

Now let's take a look at his wife, who is most likely of Scythian - iranic stock - the majority of the pre-turkic populatin in Caucasian Albania as it was known before the name Azerbaijan took hold..

1567543707042.png

Even her first name - Mehriban is Persian.

Long story short...if you know how to breed and interbreed, you might get something like this

1567544124005.png

Jul 2017
Neverland
Tervel's seal at a museum in Washington
Khan Turvel is the second ruler of Bulgaria. According to the Bulgarian Khan's Directory, he succeeds Asparuh.
Sources today show different figures for his reign of 700-721 (701-718). In 705, Emperor Justinian elevated Caesar to the Roman imperial title, creating a precedent in history. He was probably a Christian, much like his grandfather Kubrat. According to some researchers, St. Trifelius Theoctist, the savior of Europe, canonized by the Eastern and Western Christian churches, is Tervel. View attachment 22796

Tervel, like his father Ispor(Asparukh) and their grandfather/father Kuvrat and uncle Organa were Christians as mentioned by Pathriarch Nicephorus.
Also, by researching nameplaces, I have stumbled onto present day towns in your country bearing names of former hunnic rulers ilike the name of bulgaro-hunnic ruler in Central Europe by the name of ...Tatra.

Bulgarians have a town called...Tutra-khan ie modern bay Tutrakan in Bulgaria

Tutrakan - Wikipedia

Town of Kula - Bulgaria is a Persian/iranic name

Kula, Bulgaria - Wikipedia

River Yantra by Tarnogorad - Bulgaria is an indian/sanscrit name
Here is the indian yantra

Yantra - Wikipedia

Oct 2015
California
Lol It would appear, that the gentleman from Slovenia took the wind out of my sails.The proto-Bulgarians(bulgars) spoke iranic like language and used greek lettering to express it
I find the history of Bulgaria quite intriguing and stumbled into it by researching the 'lost' nation of the huns. Bulgars are what remained of the huns of Attila and by that measure
the only living relatives of the Kushans of former Bactria.

In 1220 Genghis khan exterminated the original population of nowdays Northern Afghanistan and we have an area called afghani Turkestan, where the former Bactria - maternal country of the old bulgars was located.It might also make sense to assume, that Roxanne - the local wife of Alexander the Great, was of ols Scythian - proto-Bulgarian stock.
She was the daughter of the satrap in Balkh- the capital city of Bactria and the ethnonym of the Balkhars(bulgars).

here is a link on the town of Balkh - now in North Afghanistan aka Afghani Turkestan.
Balkh - Wikipedia

I also took the liberty to post images of proto-Bulgarian rulers from the the First Bulgarian Kingdom as depicted on Byzantine manuscripts.

Kanasubigi Omurtag aka as Mortagon to the Byzantines

View attachment 22793

Kanasubigi Krum - father of Mortagon

View attachment 22794

Simeon the Great

View attachment 22795

To assist you better, I went on a digging expedition to pull out more on the old bulgar alphabet and language

Inscription and Alphabet of the Proto-Bulgarians - Contents

I am by no means an expert on the history of that part of Europe. But I would venture a guess that the original Bulgars who invaded the region were a comparitively small number of mostly male warriors who were quickly absorbed into the majority Slavic population. Kind of like the Normans quickly adapting to the French language and religion.

Nov 2013
Serbia
By becoming a Turk in our case. Most of todays's population of Turkey and Azerbaijan are the original inhabitants before the Seljuks arrivide in the 11th century AD.
Turks practiced communism, by not taxing muslims and slapping 10% tax on others.So, there would be stimulus by signing on the dotted line and becoming muslim.

Rich people saw their assets stripped away and given to the newly converted. Nice huh ? lol
Let me show how the seljuks of Azerbaijan looked. Photo of the President of that country below.

View attachment 22797

Do you see the pretty mongolic eyes ?

Now let's take a look at his wife, who is most likely of Scythian - iranic stock - the majority of the pre-turkic populatin in Caucasian Albania as it was known before the name Azerbaijan took hold..

View attachment 22798

Even her first name - Mehriban is Persian.

Long story short...if you know how to breed and interbreed, you might get something like this

View attachment 22799
I understand, you meant that by adopting Islam the original inhabitants also adopted a new, Turkish identity?

Aug 2019
Livingston 62° 38′ 27″ S, 60° 22′ 0.98″ W
I am by no means an expert on the history of that part of Europe. But I would venture a guess that the original Bulgars who invaded the region were a comparitively small number of mostly male warriors who were quickly absorbed into the majority Slavic population. Kind of like the Normans quickly adapting to the French language and religion.
In the spring of 680, before the decisive battle at Ongla, the Byzantine army moved by land and sea to the Danube Delta. In fact, this war was provoked in 672, with the conquest by the Proto-Bulgarians of part of North Dobrudzha, but by 679 Byzantium was engaged in a severe conflict with the Arab Caliphate, culminating in the siege of Constantinople between 674 and 678. they point to repeated robberies of the Proto-Bulgarians within Byzantium, but the commitment of the empire to the south allowed it nothing but purely passive, defensive action. The defeat of the Arabs enabled the able and energetic emperor Constantine IV to actively turn his attention to the north and attempt to repel the Bulgarian threat. The Bulgarians were few and were a real threat to the empire. The fact that the emperor transferred his troops from Asia Minor to Thrace and embarked on a march to Ongul, personally leading 60,000 troops and 20,000 fleets speaks volumes. Against 10-15,000 Bulgarians, the emperor would not lead such an army, and that he was in charge of the army, which is an extremely rare occurrence in the Byzantine Empire. It is quite probable that the army of the Bulgarians did not retreat in numbers and that was not the whole army of Asparuh. He had to leave some of the Bulgarians to fight the Khazars in the east and to protect the borders with the Avars in the west. Comparing all this, we can assume that the Bulgarians had troops of at least 100-120,000 cavalry, so they managed to stop both the Khazars and the Avars and defeat the Byzantines. And an army of that size can support a population of at least 1,000,000. During these times, it's a huge nation

Jul 2017
Neverland
I understand, you meant that by adopting Islam the original inhabitants also adopted a new, Turkish identity?
You're almost there,you're about to answer your own question. Plus, so much is written on the Ottomans, that I don't need to do all that much to convice you, as to why
the original turks were Asian looking(Korean, Chinese etc) and why Turkey and Azerbaijan don't look so much turkish, although speaking the language.
Moreover their kindreds in Turkmenistan,Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan,Kyrgistan, and even iranic speaking Tadzhikistan look like turks and speak like turks. Keep in mind all those turkic countries named...STAN were previously inhabited by scythians.ie Indo-European people.Turks were native to Southern Mongolia and North China, before having their land stolen by chinks and mongols and thus stealing other people's land and doing their usual..Genocide.
1567633723083.png

To answer this Q better, look to the jewish people. Most of today jews don't look like the ancient Israelites ie swarthy and arabic, like ancient sources describe them.
People intermarry into jewish spouses and..Voila...their offspring claim lineage to King David and Moses, although this King would have appeared more like a Saudi Arabian
or Dubai national(been there?).

I do believe, you as a historical buff know, that once on the Balkans, whose inhabitans were suffering the ravages of Black Death and state decay fell an easy prey to the newly arrived seljuk ottomans - a cakewalk if you will. Plus the Ottomans got a big help from their loyal Serbian allies(before they themselves got kicked in the rear by their Turkish frinds later). Serbian army under Stefan Lazarevich helped Bayezid I kill the crusader army by Nicopolis(Bulgaria) in 1396 and also they went willingly to help Bayezid again in the battle of Ankara in 1402. Just that Stefan Lazarevich ran into crappy luck in 1402 - there was a bigger shark there too - mongol Tamerlane.

Bayezid was taken in captivity in Tamerlane's capital and repeatedly gang raped by the mongols to further humiliate would be mongol challengers.
There's something on the battle of Nicopolis 1396

Battle of Nicopolis - Wikipedia

Similar History Discussions