How come the Soviet Union/Greater Russia didn't have any giant metropolitan areas on the Black and/or Caspian Seas?

Jan 2014
Rus
Russia came into secure possession of the Black Sea regions relatively late and the bulk of the population was long concentrated along the central rivers and lakes. There are some decent places right on the Black Sea coast and there are 3-4 large cities there which I would be surprised not to see those southern cities growing relatively faster than the rest of Russia aside from the main economic centres over the next 50 years.
The most fast growing center of South Russia last 20 years is Krasnodar. But it 100 km from the sea shore.

Reactions: Futurist
Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
Keep in mind that the Black Sea towns had been fought over in WWI and WWII. The Russian Civil War also went through the area. As already posted, large cities often have large amounts of commerce going through them. I feel once the Russians acquired the North Black Sea Coast, expansion into Siberia took a lot of the attention away from Constantinople.

Pruitt

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
No need
And water is more useful in agriculture there
Yeah, I think 100 kilometers isn't that far for a city with suburbs easily stretching that far from the city center in large cities. I live 40 kilometers from the closest airport and it is only 25 minute drive, I used to live on the other side of the city which made it 70 kilometers and added another 30 minutes to make it thru the city center.

But the main point is the nicer climate alone is not enough- there has to be some other geographical features.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Yeah, I think 100 kilometers isn't that far for a city with suburbs easily stretching that far from the city center in large cities. I live 40 kilometers from the closest airport and it is only 25 minute drive, I used to live on the other side of the city which made it 70 kilometers and added another 30 minutes to make it thru the city center.

But the main point is the nicer climate alone is not enough- there has to be some other geographical features.
Do you live in or near a major US metropolitan area?

Jan 2014
Rus

Fast growing of Krasnodar can be explain by nice climate. Surrounding plains are very fertile. Considered that the most fertile in Russia. They have very dense rural population. But process of urbanization begun here too (Several decades later, than in other Russia). In addition there is large influx of resettlers from Far North, which find better climate.

But powerful authority is reason too. Crime, aspecially ethnic crime is much lower than in neighbouring regions.

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Historically, metropolitan development was primarily limited by the availability of fresh water. Economic development is the engine to propel urban growth, but fresh water was the fuel required to sustain the engine. Commonly, aqueducts, using gravity power from reasonably close and accessible water, were the first solutions to an urban area at its fresh water limit. Additional growth provided the wherewithal to construct longer and more extensive aqueducts.

The answer to any question asking why an urban area with a tolerable climate did not expand is always going to be a shortage of water and/or lack of economic activity.