How deeply should one go into a topic?

May 2019
Australia
I'm currently studying Mesopotamia and wondering if I should go extremely deep into the topic such as reading books for each subsection of the period such as the Natufian period and the Neolothic period? I don't know if I'm going overboard?

Jun 2017
maine
I'd go as deeply as your interest takes you. Like johnincornwall, I've gone through several genres--usually it is a single area (or even a single historic incident) that draws me in deeper. Even an area that you love can have some pretty tedious aspects. For example, I am absolutely obsessed with the murders on Smuttynose, Maine but am not especially keen becoming "expert" on availability of fishing bait in the 19th century--which is relevant.

Last edited:
May 2009
Go until you cant read the material anymore. One of my own heartbreaks as a fan of Chinese history is that the really specific and obscure stuff usually never gets translated to English, so somtimes I run into a wall.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I'm currently studying Mesopotamia and wondering if I should go extremely deep into the topic such as reading books for each subsection of the period such as the Natufian period and the Neolothic period? I don't know if I'm going overboard?
It honestly depends on how interested you are in a specific topic and how much spare time you have. If you are extremely interested and have a lot of spare time, then you could do what you're suggesting here. If you have more limited time, though, then you might need to be selective about what you read. For instance, you could limit yourself to a certain number of books and even then, not read the entire books but only read your favorite parts of these books while skimming through the rest of these books.

Oct 2013
Europix
Someone said after having red the twentieth scholar/academic work it becomes fastidious, further one goes reading hundred of pages without significant new information.

I think there's some truth in it.

Similar History Discussions