How did ancient Greeks settle in Asia?

Aug 2016
US&A
I know there were some Greek settlers who came to live in what was once Persia during and after Alexander's conquests. I am curious if these greeks took land that was lying unused perhaps due to the various wars Persia had fought, or if they typically displaced the people who were already living there. Was it something like Hitler's Lebensraum plan or was the migration largely peaceful?

Mar 2019
KL
greeks most probably came with the persians during achaemenid period and were probably appointed as state officials in bactrian satrap of persia, ionia was one of the satrap of persia so greeks must have settled during that period, i dont really think that alexander's conquest brought and settled any greeks, despite the claims that greek cities were established, most probably the cities which already existed were renamed and who later changed it back when they got freed of alexander in eight years. i think that greeks were eventually replaced in bactria with bactrian rulers/ iranian scythians who were still greek influenced.

regards

Reactions: RidiculousName
Nov 2008
England
greeks most probably came with the persians during achaemenid period and were probably appointed as state officials in bactrian satrap of persia, ionia was one of the satrap of persia so greeks must have settled during that period, i dont really think that alexander's conquest brought and settled any greeks, despite the claims that greek cities were established, most probably the cities which already existed were renamed and who later changed it back when they got freed of alexander in eight years. i think that greeks were eventually replaced in bactria with bactrian rulers/ iranian scythians who were still greek influenced.

regards
You are completely wrong. There is an enormous amount of material, both popular and academic, on the subject of Helllenism in India and the Bactrian region. It is easy to access if you want to learn about the subject.

Mar 2019
KL
You are completely wrong. There is an enormous amount of material, both popular and academic, on the subject of Helllenism in India and the Bactrian region. It is easy to access if you want to learn about the subject.
mostly the academic literature has colonial roots and needs some reevaluation, there is no denial in facts, there does seem greek influence in bactria, but when it comes to india, it just seem to be fabricated, most of the greek influences which came to india was largely through the scythians and the kushanas. India is a very big continent, conflating some minor greek influences which came through scythians in mostly north western india mostly afghanistan and western pakistan into india just seems blown out of proportions.

regards

Nov 2008
England
mostly the academic literature has colonial roots and needs some reevaluation, there is no denial in facts, there does seem greek influence in bactria, but when it comes to india, it just seem to be fabricated, most of the greek influences which came to india was largely through the scythians and the kushanas. India is a very big continent, conflating some minor greek influences which came through scythians in mostly north western india mostly afghanistan and western pakistan into india just seems blown out of proportions.

regards
Please expand on your claims, citing examples of which academic literature has colonial roots. Most of the books and scholarly documents written today can hardly be described as having colonial roots. Even if they had, what difference would that make concerning the Greeks in Bactria and India? Furthermore, would you provide some academic sources to support your suggestion that there were only minor Greek influences, and that these were from Scythian sources.

Mar 2019
KL
Please expand on your claims, citing examples of which academic literature has colonial roots. Most of the books and scholarly documents written today can hardly be described as having colonial roots. Even if they had, what difference would that make concerning the Greeks in Bactria and India? Furthermore, would you provide some academic sources to support your suggestion that there were only minor Greek influences, and that these were from Scythian sources.
as i have already stated, the academic sources are mostly european and they are eurocentric/western biased, so there is no use in giving western sources which tow their western lines. mostly the greek element in india is fabricated and mostly based on assumption citing greek presence in bactria, if you can prove greek presence in india please provide direct evidences. i dont deny there there is a minor greek element in north western india/western pakistan mostly through greek influenced bactrians but calling it india is blowing stuff out of the universe.

regards

Last edited:
Nov 2008
England
as i have already stated, the academic sources are mostly european and they are eurocentric/western biased, so there is no use in giving western sources which tow their western lines. mostly the greek element in india is fabricated and mostly based on assumption citing greek presence in bactria, if you can prove greek presence in india please provide direct evidences. i dont deny there there is a minor greek element in north western india/western pakistan mostly through greek influenced bactrians but calling it india is blowing stuff out of the universe.

regards
Your suggestion or inference that European academics are biased and unable to objectively study the subject is ludicrous. Concerning the evidence of Greek presence and influence in Asia, I suggest you begin some serious study with these Wikipedia links:

Greco-Bactrian Kingdom - Wikipedia

And:

Indo-Greek Kingdom - Wikipedia

civfanatic

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
Besides the Greek sources, even Indian sources themselves describe Yavanas (Greeks) attacking cities as far as Saketa and Pataliputra, and we have abundant numismatic and epigraphic evidence to prove Greek presence and influence in India. We have inscriptions like the Hathigumpha inscription of Kharavela, which indicates that a Yavana king named "Dimita" (Demetrius) was ruling from Mathura, plus we have inscriptions from around Mathura itself which attest to Greek rule in the Haryana and western UP region, such as the Maghera inscription. Also, many of the dynasties which ruled parts of India during this time period issued coins with Greek script, such as the Western Satraps who ruled much of western India including Gujarat and Malwa.

Mar 2019
KL
Besides the Greek sources, even Indian sources themselves describe Yavanas (Greeks) attacking cities as far as Saketa and Pataliputra, and we have abundant numismatic and epigraphic evidence to prove Greek presence and influence in India. We have inscriptions like the Hathigumpha inscription of Kharavela, which indicates that a Yavana king named "Dimita" (Demetrius) was ruling from Mathura, plus we have inscriptions from around Mathura itself which attest to Greek rule in the Haryana and western UP region, such as the Maghera inscription. Also, many of the dynasties which ruled parts of India during this time period issued coins with Greek script, such as the Western Satraps who ruled much of western India including Gujarat and Malwa.
yavana has also been mentioned by Panini much before the invasion of alexander, so in my opinion yavana doesn't stand for ionian or greek, but just like kambhoja it stands for any person from a particular place in central asia, or central asian from a perticular place. yavana was freely used for indo scythian, the kushans for instance.

regards

civfanatic

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
yavana has also been mentioned by Panini much before the invasion of alexander, so in my opinion yavana doesn't stand for ionian or greek, but just like kambhoja it stands for any person from a particular place in central asia, or central asian from a perticular place. yavana was freely used for indo scythian, the kushans for instance.

regards
The terms "Yona" and "Yavana" can be used as a generic term for foreigner, but during this specific time period it typically referred to Greeks in particular. We know this because the names of the Yavanas mentioned in inscriptions are distinctly Greek names, like Heliodorus and Antialcidas (see the famous Heliodorus pillar from Vidisha in central India). No Scythian would have such names, unless they were thoroughly Hellenized and identified with Greek culture. Either way, that shows Greek culture had penetrated deep into India.

And as I mentioned, we have many coins issued by rulers in India that used Greek script, such as the numerous silver coins of Nahapana. Can you explain to us why kings ruling in Gujarat and Malwa were issuing coins with Greek script?