How did Arabization happen among the rural illiterate non Arab Peasantry

Nov 2012
I mean in places such as Iraq, Syria,Palestine,Egypt and North Africa I understand Islamization would have led to urban elites, bureaucracy etc. adopting Arabic for maintaining their status but how did uneducated rural countryside especially peasants, nomads, pastoralists etc. adopt a foreign language when they had no reason to be educated or pickup Arabic. How did Arabization work in uneducated masses. Why would an Egyptian peasant just give up centuries old mother tongue and pick up language of an invader?

Dec 2015
U.S.
I think that Islam was a symbol of getting a better life. If you adopted Islam you would be educated and learn to read and write. That meant you would end up with a higher standard of living.

I believe this was one of the reasons the Indians in Latin America became Catholic. If they became Catholic, they would be given some semblance of an education and you would eventually get a higher standard of living. If they stayed with their polytheism they would forever be considered ignorant and as an outsider.

Last edited:

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Conversion to Islam.

Arabic is the language of the Quran. The Quran, more than any other factor, was responsible for the Arabization of much of the Middle East and North Africa.

The Jizya also encouraged conversion. It was cheaper to be Muslim, and in general people both ancient and modern care most about their own finances.

Last edited:
Oct 2012
Sainte-Marie-de-Ré
Arab lands were mostly deserts and sparsely populated and no way comparable to civilizational areas such as Egypt, Iraq, Syria, Carthage etc.
Keep in mind that the Plague had already been devastating the whole region for decades by the time the Arab armies took possession of the Levant.

War and famine caused even more chaos, leaving both urban and rural communities severely disorganized.

Therefore it is not too far-fetched to assume that large swathes of land had been emptied of their population.

Even though the wave of Arab settlers might not have been 'massive', it was still enough to render the process of Arabization inexorable, taking into the account the aforementioned prestige of the Arabic language in an Islamic context.

Last edited:
Nov 2012
Conversion to Islam.

Arabic is the language of the Quran. The Quran, more than any other factor, was responsible for the Arabization of much of the Middle East and North Africa.

The Jizya also encouraged conversion. It was cheaper to be Muslim, and in general people both ancient and modern care most about their own finances.
Same happened with spread of Hinduism in south east Asia but they did not adopt Sanskrit as an spoken tongue

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
And on what basis do you make the assertion that most of the population of Palestine spoke Arabic by 1100? Being mostly Eastern Orthodox with their religion is Greek I would imagine.

Similar History Discussions