How did British treat Indian Christians?

Sep 2019
'Merica
Were they treated "a step above" Hindu and Muslim Indians?
What benefits did converting to Christianity bring for native converts?
Are there any records of Indian Christians marrying into British families?
Were Indian Christians preferred over Brahmans in administrative jobs?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
I do not have any personal experience about that. But yes, perhaps they were favored more than Hindus and Muslims.
Government jobs.
Very few and that too when people went West. They would not have married in aristocracy.
Educated brahmins (and other castes too, e.g., the Kayasthas) could hold their own as far as efficiency went. They had the experience of native states.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
My memory may be playing tricks but I seem to remember a collection in our chapel for missionaries to Assam as late as the 1950s or 60s. This was the Calvinist Methodists.

M.S. Islam

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Dhaka
Upto the point when EIC took over, Christians in India were mostly Catholics, being converted by the Portuguese. I doubt whether the Protestant British would make any exception to them.

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
Keep in mind that lower caste Hindus would have been attracted to Christianity. Look what happened to the people that became Sikh! Sikh's don't believe caste mattered until a large number of untouchables converted. THEN Caste mattered!

Pruitt

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
The EIC banned missionaries.

The ban was only lifted in 1813. The EIC was right of course - missionaries were very bad for business.

In addition to the Catholic converts of the Portuguese who were more than enthusiastic in doing God's work, there were Christians of long standing, pre-dating the Portguese especially in Kerala from St Thomas mission.

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
Keep in mind that lower caste Hindus would have been attracted to Christianity. Look what happened to the people that became Sikh! Sikh's don't believe caste mattered until a large number of untouchables converted. THEN Caste mattered!

Pruitt
A main target for Christian missionaries were the tribals and animists.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Upto the point when EIC took over, Christians in India were mostly Catholics, being converted by the Portuguese. I doubt whether the Protestant British would make any exception to them.
Christians in India seem to be mostly Roman Catholic, Orthodox, or Anglican. I would assume the Orthodox are descended from those converted in early times. Not sure if the Catholic and Anglicans were mostly converted by the Portuguese or English or were already Christians and associated with those religions, which were fairly similar to early Christianity.

I had a colleague who was Christian from India. He said Christians don't have castes, which might mean that many of the original converts were low caste. He said he was told to go to an Episcopal Church if he couldn't find one of his Indian churches, as that was the closest. Not sure if they were Anglicans or just derived from early Christianity and weren't Roman Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant. He said the his state had a high percentage of Christians from early times. It might be Kerala.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
My memory may be playing tricks but I seem to remember a collection in our chapel for missionaries to Assam as late as the 1950s or 60s. This was the Calvinist Methodists.
That happens even now and huge amount of money is sent to India for evangelist purposes.
Sikhism never made any difference about castes in its early days. Caste difference came up with the establishment of Sikh kingdoms. Jat Sikhs gained prominence.

Similar History Discussions