How did British treat Indian Christians?

M.S. Islam

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Dhaka
Christians in India seem to be mostly Roman Catholic, Orthodox, or Anglican. I would assume the Orthodox are descended from those converted in early times. Not sure if the Catholic and Anglicans were mostly converted by the Portuguese or English or were already Christians and associated with those religions, which were fairly similar to early Christianity.

I had a colleague who was Christian from India. He said Christians don't have castes, which might mean that many of the original converts were low caste. He said he was told to go to an Episcopal Church if he couldn't find one of his Indian churches, as that was the closest. Not sure if they were Anglicans or just derived from early Christianity and weren't Roman Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant. He said the his state had a high percentage of Christians from early times. It might be Kerala.
Early Christians in India, claimed to be converted originally by St. Thomas the apostle, had long been 'reconverted' to Catholicism in Portuguese Inquisition in Goa.

The handful that resisted got affiliated with Syriac Church.

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
Early Christians in India, claimed to be converted originally by St. Thomas the apostle, had long been 'reconverted' to Catholicism in Portuguese Inquisition in Goa.

Chalcedonian Creed - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roman Catholic, Orthodox, or Anglican, (and for that matter most Protestants faiths) all believe in the settlement of Chalcedon, 451 AD. The Syriac Church did not accept the outcome of Chalcedon and has a different belief in the fundamental nature of Jesus. It predates the Portuguese Catholism by a 1000 years. Goa and Bombay are catholic resulting from Portuguese conversion. Kerala and the Church of St Thomas in Kerala is a Syriac (Oriental Orthodox) Church with a considerably older pedigree.

Saint Thomas Christians - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
@GogLais , Ah, there is a bonus for that. :)
@Pruitt , yes there are. Jacobite/Orthodox Syrians 1,300,000, Malankara Orthodox Syrians 400,000 and Mar Thoma Orthodox Syrians 274,000. (Figures that I could collect)

Last edited:
Nov 2014
India

Your information is wrong. Overwhelming number of Syrian Catholics of Kerala remained the same. What Portuguese did in Kerala is to convert lower caste fishermen into Catholicism and they are known as Latin Catholics. In fact, a large number of Goan Catholics later joined the eastern church of Syrian Catholics in Coastal Karnataka region.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
A friend of mine reminded me that there’s a Welsh hymn that refers to Bryniau Cassia/The Hills of Khasia. It would be interesting to know what remains of that missionary effort.

Similar History Discussions