How did certain countries become hopeless basket cases?

Nov 2016
Indus Valley, Pakistan
Hong Kong was really an exception rather than the norm; most colonies remained impoverished, illiterate, and underdeveloped when they were under colonial rule.
I know it is horrible thing to appear to be defending colonialism. But I am pretty confident that we in what is now Pakistan gained more then we lost in the 97 year British rule - 1849/1947.

And there is a good test case that most people overlook. To validate how good/bad colonialism was is difficult because comparing one place to another is fraught with problems. The variables are so complex thus comparison is almost useless.

However we may use Tajiks as a test case. The Tajik people (a Persian speaking people) live on both sides of Amu Darya River. in 1840s their lands suddenly were split into half by a border established by the Anglo-Russian Border Commmission.

From that point on the Tajiks on both sides of the river (which became international border between Afghanistan and Tsarist Russia) found themselves to be either the nominal subjects of the Afghan king or those on the north bank of Amu Darya became subjects of the Tsar.

Today the Russian occupied Tajiks after having found themselves as a Soviet SSR now have a indepandent country. Tajikistan. Their brother Tajiks who they got divorced from them in 1840s still live in Afghanistan. The differance between both groups of the same people is remarkable. Tajikistan makes northern Afghanistan (which remained free from colonialism) look like Norway on the Amu Darya by comparison.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
I know it is horrible thing to appear to be defending colonialism. But I am pretty confident that we in what is now Pakistan gained more then we lost in the 97 year British rule - 1849/1947.

And there is a good test case that most people overlook. To validate how good/bad colonialism was is difficult because comparing one place to another is fraught with problems. The variables are so complex thus comparison is almost useless.

However we may use Tajiks as a test case. The Tajik people (a Persian speaking people) live on both sides of Amu Darya River. in 1840s their lands suddenly were split into half by a border established by the Anglo-Russian Border Commmission.

From that point on the Tajiks on both sides of the river (which became international border between Afghanistan and Tsarist Russia) found themselves to be either the nominal subjects of the Afghan king or those on the north bank of Amu Darya became subjects of the Tsar.

Today the Russian occupied Tajiks after having found themselves as a Soviet SSR now have a indepandent country. Tajikistan. Their brother Tajiks who they got divorced from them in 1840s still live in Afghanistan. The differance between both groups of the same people is remarkable. Tajikistan makes northern Afghanistan (which remained free from colonialism) look like Norway on the Amu Darya by comparison.

Undeniably, India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh have progressed considerably after independence.
With the sheer amount of textile products from Bangladesh, Bangladesh somewhat clothe North America to a degree.
As far as shirts, jeans and pants are concerned, it would be hard to find some that are not from Bangladesh.
Personally, I find most Indian and Pakistani manufactured goods in North America are of inferior quality.

May 2015
The Netherlands
Yes, many parts of Africa has progressed and thrived after the 1990s, but there are still parts of the world that are hopeless basket cases:
Afghanistan: In spite of socioeconomic progresses, stability hasn't returned yet.
Iraq: The almost eternal turmoils and attacks.
Libya: It probably cannot come back together.
Syria: The ongoing civil war!
Somalia: No real nationhood YET.
Democratic Republic of Congo: Ongoing violence and real fragmentations.
Republic of Congo: Superficial prosperity, rotten government
Central African Republic: The acronym does not mean that it produces automobiles; rather, it is one of the least developed and stable part of the world.
Sierra Leone, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Gambia: Rotten governments, limited resources and instability all contribute to these miseries.
Haiti: The only least developed country in the Western Hemisphere shows little signs of progresses.
Ethiopia: In spite of being the oldest extent civilization in Africa, it is marred by overpopulation and environmental degradation.
How do they become what they are today? Will they progress?
Somehow I missed this thread untill now. The most obvious reasons that explain these failed states are: 1) Western imperialism, including colonial legacies, 2) geography, and 3) culture. Everything else, including bad leadership, ethnic/tribal divisions, extreme poverty, can be attributed to these three.

There are 23 recognized nations in North America?
No offense, but how do you not know this? :zany:

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
Somehow I missed this thread untill now. The most obvious reasons that explain these failed states are: 1) Western imperialism, including colonial legacies, 2) geography, and 3) culture. Everything else, including bad leadership, ethnic/tribal divisions, extreme poverty, can be attributed to these three.

No offense, but how do you not know this? :zany:
We usually do not count Central America and Caribbean as North America; where should they go if they are NOT part of North America?
Let's make the list here: I am preparing to memorize all currently existing countries:
1) Canada
2) United States of America
3) United Mexican States
4) Belize
5) Guatemala
6) Nicaragua
7) Costa Rica
8) Panama
9) Honduras
10) El Salvador
11) Cuba
12) Jamaica
13) Haiti
14) Dominican Republic
15) Dominica
16) St. Kitts and Nevis
17) Grenada
18) Trinidad and Tobago
19) St. Lucia
20) Barbados
21) Bahamas
22) St. Vincent and Grenadines
23) Antigua and Barbuda

There are quite a few obscure, small island countries in the Caribbean.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
We usually do not count Central America and Caribbean as North America; where should they go if they are NOT part of North America?
Let's make the list here: I am preparing to memorize all currently existing countries:
1) Canada
2) United States of America
3) United Mexican States
4) Belize
5) Guatemala
6) Nicaragua
7) Costa Rica
8) Panama
9) Honduras
10) El Salvador
11) Cuba
12) Jamaica
13) Haiti
14) Dominican Republic
15) Dominica
16) St. Kitts and Nevis
17) Grenada
18) Trinidad and Tobago
19) St. Lucia
20) Barbados
21) Bahamas
22) St. Vincent and Grenadines
23) Antigua and Barbuda

There are quite a few obscure, small island countries in the Caribbean.
+1. North America begins in Panama isthmus and ends in Northern Canada.

Similar History Discussions