How did Christianity persecute polytheism?

Feb 2017
Latin America
The answer to all questions is more or less 'differently and variably' depending on time and place.

The only pretty much constant (but not always) is the persecution of jews. Pedro often publishes a list on here of all the anti-jewish riots/incidents in history.

The Aragon of Alfonso I El Battalador treated jews and muslims in it's conquered areas with equal status to christians, whereas the Castille and Aragon of Ferdinand and Isobella persecuted them to the point of expulsion.

So tell me - how did 'Christian countries treat their jews?' See what I mean?

Just to confuse further - muslims (and jews presumably) used to call the Christians 'polytheists' - all this Father, Son, Holy Sprit business.
Yeah, people should drop the term "polytheism" to distinguish the so-called "Abrahamic" religions from "polytheist" ones. What distinguishes the angels in which Jews, Christians and Muslims believe from gods like Athena or Thor?

In fact, notice how such distinctions are never brought up with non-Abrahamic religions. The terms "polytheism" and "monotheism" seem to only exist in Abrahamic contexts for historians, which is poor analysis in my opinion.

Pendennis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Forgive my levity but everytime I now see a word beginning with ''POLY'' I get a fit of the giggles. Why?-because way back in 1975 when I was teaching an English language class I asked one of my students to define the word ''POLYGON.
She replied with a straight face 'A polygon sir?-is that no' a dead parrot?
Thus 'polytheism'' makes me think of folks on their knees absurdly worshipping parrots.

Port

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
portland maine
The answer to all questions is more or less 'differently and variably' depending on time and place.

The only pretty much constant (but not always) is the persecution of jews. Pedro often publishes a list on here of all the anti-jewish riots/incidents in history.

The Aragon of Alfonso I El Battalador treated jews and muslims in it's conquered areas with equal status to christians, whereas the Castille and Aragon of Ferdinand and Isobella persecuted them to the point of expulsion.

So tell me - how did 'Christian countries treat their jews?' See what I mean?

Just to confuse further - muslims (and jews presumably) used to call the Christians 'polytheists' - all this Father, Son, Holy Sprit business.
for me I have been amazed how people kept their original belief, gods and ceremoniesas well as how Christianity incorporated them.

Aug 2014
Crete
Theodosius the first from wikipedia here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodosius_I#Proscription_of_Hellenistic_religion

''Between 389–392 he promulgated the "Theodosian decrees"[20] (instituting a major change in his religious policies),[21]:116 which removed non-Nicene Christians from church office and abolished the last remaining expressions of Roman religion by making its holidays into workdays, banned blood sacrifices, closed Roman temples, confiscated temple endowments and disbanded the Vestal Virgins.[22] The practices of taking auspices and witchcraft were punished. Theodosius refused to restore the Altar of Victory in the Senate House, as asked by non-Christian senators''

My opinion is that Christian ethics are good, as many wise men agree, humans are by nature evil and you have to teach them to be good, the techniques of Socrates doesn't work in more the 1% of the people so the simple christian teachings of fear ''be good or you will burn in hell'' and ''believe and do not research'' are the only way to go...

Do not give up on them.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
would muslims be death by fire in inquisition in the medieval Christian countries?
Muslims were not the target of the Inquisition. Heresy was. A Muslim could fall in the hands of the Inquisition if he would convert to Christianism but continue to practice his former religion.

would muslims be killed by Christians in the medieval Christian countries's land?
Again, “Medieval” is a long time period… there were coexistence moments and there were extremist moments. According to the timeline and region. Note that I already answer to this in post 4.

The inverse was already answered to one question made by you, here: http://historum.com/middle-eastern-african-history/127382-did-arabs-use-force-force-any-people-convert-islam-does-persians-ha.html

Last edited:

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
would muslims be death by fire in inquisition in the medieval Christian countries?
The Spanish Inquisition was only legally allowed to question and try Christians (normally cristianos nuevos). The issue under question was the 'genuineness' of their christianity/conversion.

Last edited:

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
The Spanish Inquisition was only legally allowed to question and try Christians (normally cristianos nuevos). The issue under question was the 'genuineness' of their christianity/conversion.
Well, Muslims and Jews were forced to convert to Catholicism or leave Spain and Portugal. Many agreed to convert, but practiced their religions. These were targeted buy the Inquisition.

There were many pagans in Christian countries, but not so many Muslims. There was a slow process by which Christian areas in north Africa and the middle east became Muslim after Muslim conquest.